Disabled Pax - details on discount

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RRrich

Conductor
Pax with a Doctor's letter stating that they have Mobility Disabilities are eligible for a 15% discount and can request the "H" room and be charged at roomette rates. :rolleyes:

Wifey's Doctor gave her such a letter. <_<

Question If we choose to book a regular bedroom, are we charged roomette rates? Or do we get 15% off the TOTAL or just the railfare as with the Senior discount? :(

My son has autism and we got a discount on the coach price. I did not get a discount on the roomette portion of the fare.

My son has autism and we got a discount on the coach price. I did not get a discount on the roomette portion of the fare.
My daughter is ASD, high functioning. Can I ask if your son is on disability or how you got this discount from Amtrak for that?

My daughter is ASD, high functioning. Can I ask if your son is on disability or how you got this discount from Amtrak for that?
I have aspergers and was not aware that non mobility issues were kosher with amtrak for some $$ off ..

I tend to not really think about it [aspergers] any more ..

Its almost a non issue as I have aged .

I wish you and yous the best !

Peter

Handicapped dfiscount only applies to rail fare, not sleeper class. I use it all the time due to hearing impaired.
The website says you get 15% off of the rail fare, but when talking to an agent to get quotes for a friend with reduced mobility the handicap room was at least 10% less than the low bucket roomettes. That was across the board on every train she quoted me.

I have aspergers and was not aware that non mobility issues were kosher with amtrak for some $ off ..

I tend to not really think about it [aspergers] any more ..

Its almost a non issue as I have aged .

I wish you and yous the best !

Peter
'lo fellow Aspie! Best to you as well!

I'm not overly familiar with Amtrak's disability policies, and we got AAA discounts, so it's a moot issue for us personally, I was just curious because it has been suggested to me that I apply for disability for my daughter because she has more going on than just the Asperger's (none of which cause mobility issues unless you count the fact that we're klutzes).

Straigt from the revenue portion of the employee handbook pretaining to conductors. Discounts are Military 10%, Elderley and Disabled 15%. From my expireences the 15% can be for an disabilty immaginable (we are to PC on the left coast to really push the issue I think so if you have the proof (handicap placcard for your car is counsidered proof) you are elegible for the 15% off. (NOTE: the discount applies to railfare only)

There is a discount for the "H" room availble to sombody with a mobility impairment that would prohibit them from accuping a normal roomete. This requires a doctors note, and the discount brings the accomidation charge of the "H" room to that of a roomete. This is done because the ADA act (rightfully so IMO) staes that a person can not be charged more simply because of a disabilty that required special accomidations. For example sombody wheelchair bound should not be required to pay more for an acessable room than sombody in a roomete simply because they require an acessable room with ample space.

Hope that helps.

Conductor in SAC

Straigt from the revenue portion of the employee handbook pretaining to conductors. Discounts are Military 10%, Elderley and Disabled 15%. From my expireences the 15% can be for an disabilty immaginable (we are to PC on the left coast to really push the issue I think so if you have the proof (handicap placcard for your car is counsidered proof) you are elegible for the 15% off. (NOTE: the discount applies to railfare only)

Conductor in SAC

You said a car hang card ............ I don't Drive or Own a car .. I know Iam not the only one . I have never applied for a card as I have no need ..

how would you recommend that We solve this issue .. I realized that the card comment was one of many ways you can "prove" your disability.

Nothing I carry on me says any remote thing about what my medical issues are ......... and I suspect most people dont Drag there MD behind them .

Iam 25 .. Young as most would say on the outside ... Sadly I have along with aspergers . Dysgrapha ( can't Write at all !) neuropathy ( My feet are allwas prickly) . and 2 Blown meniscus in my knees ( stairs scare me now way to pain .. not heaven )...

My MD says I have the lower body of a 70 YO ........

do I need a H Room .. no... I pray not for very many years .. in fact just a Front Seat on a coach car is enough !!!!

and as a student I have 15% also .. that said .

I wonder what Other ways People with disabilitys can Prove they need X Y Z to amtrak ( and Yes I a Dr Note is wonderfull but not really easy to get in some places )

Peter...

This thread is very interesting! I have been profoundly deaf from childhood, have rusty bathtub pipes speech, and never knew the 15 per cent disability discount applied to me. Now I'm over 65 and qualify for the 15 oer cent geezer discount, so the issue is moot.

This thread is very interesting! I have been profoundly deaf from childhood, have rusty bathtub pipes speech, and never knew the 15 per cent disability discount applied to me. Now I'm over 65 and qualify for the 15 oer cent geezer discount, so the issue is moot.
I am late-deafened and did not consider my deafness as something to qualify me for the discount. I wonder if I just need a copy of my audio gram for proof. Though my blue & black BTE's and my blue glitter ear molds should make it obvious.

I was going to request of one of Wifey's doctors a note stating that Wife has a mobility disorder. I feel that we do not have to tellAmtrak that she has Parkinson's disease with associated balance issues.

Peter - I don't understand the issue.with Asperger (I'm told I have it too) but I expect that two blown menisci would get you a "disability note" from your Orthopod - or I would get a new Orthopod.

Best of luck to all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back