Discontinued Ammenities

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently I missed the good old days. From getting freebies to not having enough water. :p

Since almost everyone in Congress has never traveled on Amtrak or if they have it was an Acela. Therefore, they don't mind forcing Amtrak to cut these low cost items for then they feel they are lowering costs. Like food service on the SS or CONO. Just thank your Congressmen for squeezing Amtrak and not listening to the desperate need for additional and replacement equipment.

I have one of those pens also Bill, as well as really nice T-Shirts from the Western LD Trains that used to be Sold in the Cafe along with lots of Route specific items. (Although some a**hole stole my Pretty Blue Crescent Shirt while I was on the Meteor a few years ago!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently I missed the good old days. From getting freebies to not having enough water. :p
For several years, Amtrak sold "bottomless" coffee mugs in the SSLs of their LD trains. And they were truly bottomless -- good for free coffee in perpetuity on the branded LD train. Sadly, Amtrak voided that offer after several years. But I've kept my mugs as souvenirs, along with all of the CZ polo shirts purchased from the Assistant Conductor who worked the CZ between SLC and GJT.

For several years, Amtrak sold "bottomless" coffee mugs in the SSLs of their LD trains. And they were truly bottomless -- good for free coffee in perpetuity on the branded LD train. Sadly, Amtrak voided that offer after several years. But I've kept my mugs as souvenirs, along with all of the CZ polo shirts purchased from the Assistant Conductor who worked the CZ between SLC and GJT.
Must be a tradition on that route....

The D&RGW, used to have a train attendant "Curtis", who used to go thru the train exclaiming: "Pretty Cards!", as he peddled his stock of scenic picture postcards, on the RGZ between Denver and Salt Lake City...

I remember getting a newspaper on my first LD trip in 2010. I think they were gone by my second trip in 2012.
In May 2012 I got a newspaper on the California Zephyr. And they had free newspapers and magazines in the temporary Denver depot. Now they're gone, unfortunately.

The polo shirts were being offered through the auspices of the former D&RGW (or UP?) train station in SLC (now a museum) where the Amtrak AC volunteered. Perhaps they are still available for sale at the museum? (Note to self to check it out next month when driving through SLC.)

I blame the OBS management! They can read the complaints, but there are no consequences. What about surprise ride alongs? "Mystery Shopper" rides? What about reinforcing regularly the minimum standards Amtrak Passengers should expect. Management is managing from behind their desks a staff, that knows they will not be checked on. In my business and many of my customers we had the "AIC" program required of all managers (every manager from CEO down was required to spend a minimum of 10 weekdays with the field employees in their cars). The same should go for Amtrak. This would make a major difference. One there would be more continuity of the minimum standards and two, management would hear from their customers, Amtrak Passengers.
Here! Here!

Would anyone really call USA Today a newspaper??
Not me! Darn thing has no funnies!!
It has them on Page 1 of each section. Big joke.

Newspapers may have vanished, but sleepers still get copies of The National or some other magazine. Sometimes I even find one stuffed in a coach pocket.

Not only is the water in the Amtrak restroom sinks potable, but there should be a supply of paper drinking cups available on the shelf above the toilet.
On my last Texas Eagle trip in April there were no paper cups anywhere in the dispensers, either in bathrooms or by dispenser spouts. Also no shampoo in shower.

On the shampoo, I know that some people take all the bottles. My daughter last year went to take a shower, saw the shampoo, but had forgotten something in our room. when she came back the shower was in use. She after a while she returned, this time the shampoo had disappeared. Now I insist that those traveling with me come prepared for all sorts of issues, including shampoo. I mentioned the shortage to the SCA, who put a few more bottles out. He thanked me and stated that he can only put a few out at a time, otherwise many trips they disappear. The bars of soap he said were never taken, so he would leave a quantity on a wash cloth so they didn't get wet or soak up water.

On the paper cups, I have seen a box in the SCA room, but it could also be that the inventory delivered didn't include the cups. Or the SCA didn't care, though I try not to think that way unless it is obvious..

The decline in SCA service in the 20 years I've been taking sleepers is pathetic. If they don't help with baggage or bedding why do they have jobs? Both are in the SCA handbook or whatever describes their duties. The last few trips I've had to beg for help with the baggage, i have a disability but it's not obvious. If I get on a major stop the Red Cap gets my baggage to my room. The SCAs used to insist on helping to keep passengers from clogging the aisle with the baggage. I only had one problem with the bed... Got a short sheet once and the SCA did nothing... I dont know how the new sleepers will be but the Viewliners beds cannot easily be set up by the passenger.

Obviously many SCAs don't care about tips or they would be more helpful. I'd rather part with a good tip for good service than save some money with poor service.

Why doesnt Amtrak do customer service email customer surveys or would that be too hard for them.?

They do surveys all the time, I just answered one last week about a recent trip to Washington. I think they are sent out to a random sample on each trip, but I've gotten enough of them to know it is a regular process. Whether they pay attention or take action might be another story. Or the possibility that things aren't as bad as we gather from sites like this. I got on a s/b Acela in NY and sat in a 2 facing 2 with folding table spot because I was going to watch a movie on my needlessly large laptop.. A couple got on with a very young baby and baby seat I asked them if they wanted the spot and told them I would move. I didn't care, I read a book and chatted with the person next to me at my new seat, and the couple was thrilled. On the other hand, if I had been told to move, or if the couple were split up, or one of us (or crew) made a scene out of it lots of negativity would flow from it.

It's amazing how an SCA who loves his or her job, and the passengers, can make up for Amtrak's lack of amenities. I had the privilege to ride from CHI to WAS with Carlos earlier this week. He greeted each passenger at the door, asked if he could carry up bags to the rooms, explained every feature of the car, made coffee at night, walked through the car with a tray carrying glasses of ice water for the PAX, and announced historic landmarks as we passed them. He jotted down orders for breakfast in the room and brought it on time the next day. He swept the car when there were crumbs. He thanked everyone for riding Amtrak and said about being 15 minutes late on arrival, "Since we travel through 7 states to get here, that's not too bad." A true prince of an SCA.

There are still a few SCA's left from the times when they really cared about each passenger, treating them as a guest. Like Carlos mentioned above they out performed the tip they received. The new generation, for the most part, is interested the pay check first and what is the minimum that has to be done to receive it. Looking back at my trips over the past months, All the SCAs were present in the car except meal time when they were back and forth bringing meals, but none of them would help with my bags, even when I asked. They came around replacing empty water bottles, a few asking how the trip was going. I remember taking my youngest daughter on her first train trip in 1989, the SCA had a tri whistle he used before he made an announcement, that the kids enjoyed. He made my daughter a small animal out of a cloth napkin (she still has it today) and finally got her to laugh and talk to him by the end of the trip. He handled everyone's bags off, and those not using red caps, he took to the room once the train had departed. I remember he had a snack basket he brought to each room in the afternoon. He took notes for wake up, what you wanted at wake up, if you were going to breakfast, when best to make up the bed, when to make the beds down. He even asked if I wanted the upper made down in the afternoon for my daughter's nap. As time permitted he told us of landmarks passing by. The restrooms were always clean. When I got up in the night he was awake in the room ready to help anyone who needed it. One time I was having a bad night, I was going to get some coffee, the SCA said to given him a short bit and he would brew fresh coffee. I got to know several of the SCA by name on the CL, LSL, EB, and TE. Wish I could remember their names, but age does me no favors.

Really thinking about this, the SCA we remember from years ago thought of being a SCA as a career and the passengers as guests. Today, most, not all, see being an SCA as a job until a better one comes along, and the passengers as people that have to put up with to get paid. The least they have to do the better. They think of themselves before the passengers.

It's amazing how an SCA who loves his or her job, and the passengers, can make up for Amtrak's lack of amenities. I had the privilege to ride from CHI to WAS with Carlos earlier this week. He greeted each passenger at the door, asked if he could carry up bags to the rooms, explained every feature of the car, made coffee at night, walked through the car with a tray carrying glasses of ice water for the PAX, and announced historic landmarks as we passed them. He jotted down orders for breakfast in the room and brought it on time the next day. He swept the car when there were crumbs. He thanked everyone for riding Amtrak and said about being 15 minutes late on arrival, "Since we travel through 7 states to get here, that's not too bad." A true prince of an SCA.
I had Carlos a few months back on the CL. He could work at any five star hotel. A true Gentleman who cares about "his" customers.

One bottle per person, illness and resulting dehydration be damned.
You got me wondering, what illness requires the use of only water from a bottle, and prohibits water from a paper cup?
Nothing other than the fact there were no paper cups available anywhere either. The person was ill enough that he contemplated having an ambulance meet him at the next stop.

I hope I'm lucky enough to have him on my CHI - WAS ride next week.

Lots of topics here worth commenting on. I'll start with the pillows. I think it was between 3-5 years ago that they were eliminated. The "comfort pack" from the Café Car started at $8, but I think it's gone up. They've added a larger blanket ala carte for about $12. I don't mind paying for these or bringing my own. The newspapers have been sort of hit/miss, but they have been gone for a while.

As for the paper cups, I don't think I've seen those used for over 20 years. I really wish they'd bring them back. It allows the potable water to last a whole lot longer than when folks fill their plastic bottles up with them. It doesn't taste the best, but I usually carry powdered mixes for them. Not cold, but tolerable.

Silver Meteor was still using REAL flowers in the dining car as late as last year. Though, when I was in a sleeper about 5 years ago, they piled crap in the shower to make it unusable.

I think the biggest takeaway from this thread is that the discontinued amenity that's been most negatively impactful has been the decline in service (and it hasn't always been that great). I should be a bit more concise - the inconsistencies in service.

I'm really not excited to take a train trip today as I was 10 years ago.

The comfort kit used to include a real pillow, which I still use on all of my travels (not just Amtrak). I believe the pillows now are inflatable ones. Not as nice, based on my experience with inflatable neck pillows.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I can remember, all of the trips I've taken on the NER have had paper cups next to the water dispenser by the bathrooms.

Back