Discount code V851?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did a trip from EMY - OMA and I decided to take a chance and use the code. Not only did they not ask for any ID, it does not state on the ticket that it is for Red Hat members only. I also did a onboard upgrade to a Bedroom, no questions asked. Of course, I could of been the lucky one.

I think the point is that just because you got onto the train, doesn't mean you are home free. One can still be charged with fraud at any time for the next 4 to 7 years.

The Red Hat Society charges is own members extra, to use the discounts like the one for Amtrak. I can't believe that the Red Hat Society doesn't make any attempt to verify that all users of their discount program, are indeed paying them that extra fee.

I would think that any such verification, will not only highlight a member who hasn't paid the extra fee, but that the person isn't even a basic member of the Red Hat Society either.

If you really, really want to use their Amtrak discount, then why don't you just join the Red Hat Society, and pay the fee to use their discount program.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did a trip from EMY - OMA and I decided to take a chance and use the code. Not only did they not ask for any ID, it does not state on the ticket that it is for Red Hat members only. I also did a onboard upgrade to a Bedroom, no questions asked. Of course, I could of been the lucky one.
Yeah Eric,

But cheating is still cheating and I could see this one day leading to Amtrak stating there is too much abuse of these codes/discounts and getting rid of all of them. So you're helping yourself save some cash but hurting the rest of us! Think about it! :angry:

Yeah Eric,

But cheating is still cheating and I could see this one day leading to Amtrak stating there is too much abuse of these codes/discounts and getting rid of all of them. So you're helping yourself save some cash but hurting the rest of us! Think about it! :angry:
From what I understand, that is exactly the reason you don't see as many discount codes out there today. there has been a great amount of illegal use of the codes and that leads to revenue dilution for Amtrak. Most of the people mis-using the codes are people who would ride anyway and that simply decreases the amount of money flowing to the bottom line. If you are a railfan and want to see Amtrak succeed, stop thinking of yourself and purchase an honest ticket at an honest price!

Grill Master sez....I just wondering If you by the ticket online and pick it up at the station, are they going to ask to see your membership card?
What they said, but adding a different perspective...

Perhaps as you purchase the ticket, perhaps not, depending on the ticket agent. If you purchase your ticket through the machine, then no, no-one will ask for proof of discount eligibility at time of purchase.

However, even so, you may be asked to provide said proof at the time of the ticket lift. I routinely ask AAA members, Student Advantage members, and International Students for proof of discount eligibility (as in, "Oh, I see you purchased this on your AAA discount, and it says right on the face of the ticket I need to see your AAA card. Do you have that handy so I can verify this?"), in addition to asking for ID from our randomly-selected passengers (and those who purchased their tickets through the mail, or at the machine.)

In other words, be prepared to provide proof. If you haven't the proof, be prepared to purchase a new ticket (at the on-board fare and current bucket) and you will likely have to surrender the fraudulently-purchased ticket.

Travel light!

~BJG
I presume from your answer that you may be an Amtrak employee and in what you say is in that capacity.

I am a member of both AAA and AARP and have use it on most trips. I never buy tickets at the station or at a kiosk as I use an H rooms. I also usually purge all but necessary items from my wallet before leaving on my trips. Had I accidentally removed one of those membership cards then were made to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars for another ticket because didn't have my membership card, I would have been livid, :angry2: absolutely livid over such action, and all for the relatively small amount saved using one of the membership cards? If anything it should be the equivilent of the discount and not the purchase of another ticket! And what if I couldn't cover the cost of a new ticket? Would you have put a handicapped passenger off the train when you obviouly already had the lions share of the fees?

BTW, If I remember right, the discount is 10% on the coach fare (not sure if it included room) for both AAA and AARP where as its 15% for 62+ senior. Someone please correct me if I'm off on the discount information.
Even if the poster is an imposter I would rather have the RIGHT ticket than be LEFT at the station :p :p :p :p :p :p

Matter of fact, I think I saw you boarding at the Emeryville platform.

You're the one on the right, correct?!?

http://l.yimg.com/img.movies.yahoo.com/ymv...ack_lemmon1.jpg

(I'm not blue jean girl , but I am a female!)

I saw this re the Red Hat Society Club and was thinking of joining it, rather than trying to just scam the discount code, but I wanted to be clear about what the discount terms are about- It looks like the % off is based on the regular seat price, not on the upgrades, or am I wrong about that? That's a huge difference. Not sure if it is worth joining the RHS but it was the highest % discount I could find out there- I'm talking a trip that will prob cost me with upgrades close to 1K.

Also I tried to sign up under the registration here as a forum member , but am not getting confirmation emails back,also I have a hard time reading the alpha/numeric codes to sign up though I'm not disabled . I've been on BART once or twice, and on CalTrain once, but never on Amtrak. Thanks for any advice.

Here's what is aw on the Red Hat ladies site:

http://redhatsociety.com/membership/perks/...27828jTXw31F965

*Amtrak Terms and Conditions:

This offer is valid for sale between 12oct07-07dec08 and VALID FOR TRAVEL 15oct07-10dec08. Reservations are required a minimum of three (3) days prior to departure. SEATING IS limited, SEATS MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE ON ALL TRAINS AT ALL TIMES. BLACKOUT DATES APPLY: 09NOV07-12NOV07, 20NOV07-27NOV07, 14DEC07-02JAN08, 15FEB08, 18FEB08, 21MAR08, 24MAR08, 29AUG08, 01SEP08, 25-26NOV08, 29-30NOV08, 01DEC08. THIS OFFER IS VALID FOR RED HAT SOCIETY MEMBERS ONLY. A VALID RED HAT SOCIETY MEMBERSHIP (Purple Perks) CARD IS REQUIRED UPON TICKET PURCHASE. THIS OFFER IS VALID ON THE FOLLOWING TRAINS ONLY: PACIFIC SURFLINER, ANN RUTLEDGE, BLUE WATER, CALIFORNIA ZEPHYR, CAPITOLS, CASCADES, CITY OF NEW ORLEANS, ILLINOIS ZEPHYR, KANSAS CITY MULE, PERE MARQUETTE, SAN JOAQUINS, COAST STARLIGHT, EMPIRE BUILDER, HEARTLAND FLYER, HIAWATHA, HOOSIER STATE, ILLINI, SOUTHWEST CHIEF, ST. LOUIS MULE, WOLVERINE, LINCOLN SERVICE, SALUKI, CARL SANDBURG. OFFER IS NOT VALID FOR ANY NEC/EASTERN U.S TRAVEL. UPGRADE TO BUSINESS CLASS OR SLEEPING ACCOMMODATIONS ARE AVAILABLE UPON PAYMENT OF FULL ACCOMMODATION CHARGES. OFFER IS subject to any restrictions, blackouts, and refund rules that apply to the type of fare purchased and upon which the discount is based. THIS OFFER IS NOT COMBINABLE WITH ANY OTHER DISCOUNT.

When I travel I carry a faux black leather passport that has my student advantage card, my student ID, and my state ID all wrapped up in one, plus ticket stubs from the last leg(s). That way if a conductor asks- I just hand them the whole mess. (And only once have I been asked to present this stuff- and I'm wondering if BJG is a certain conductor who tried to ask me for my ID and I just handed her the packet before she finished.)

But I don't think so- it was a random check on the NEC and some conductor on the LIRR had done me wrong the previous day.

I should say that I've never disliked an attendant or conductor based on how I was treated during a trip- however... there is one conductor whom I will hold in the 'Hall of Hatred' for the rest of my life. Stuck up portly wanker... "I run an strict train" (my rear end) it was one of the least organized trips of my life...)

When I travel I carry a faux black leather passport that has my student advantage card, my student ID, and my state ID all wrapped up in one, plus ticket stubs from the last leg(s). That way if a conductor asks- I just hand them the whole mess. (And only once have I been asked to present this stuff- and I'm wondering if BJG is a certain conductor who tried to ask me for my ID and I just handed her the packet before she finished.)
But I don't think so- it was a random check on the NEC and some conductor on the LIRR had done me wrong the previous day.

I should say that I've never disliked an attendant or conductor based on how I was treated during a trip- however... there is one conductor whom I will hold in the 'Hall of Hatred' for the rest of my life. Stuck up portly wanker... "I run an strict train" (my rear end) it was one of the least organized trips of my life...)

It was the faux black leather that did it. Next time have it in a real leather passport holder. ;-)

OK, enough with my sick humor. It was me who posted as a guest a few minutes ago asking about the Red Hat Society discount (though at 41 I don't even know if I am old enough for them to let me join!) , the email validation thing might have been slow, I don't know- Anyway, i am thinking about a long distance trip, and was researching trying to get a deal , but it almost seems like some of the various posts I have seen from people looking to get a better rate are kind of met with a little bit of hostility ,as if we are trying to hurt Amtrak or the employees when actually you guys have the monopoly, it isn't like plane fares, there isn't any competition, and I don't see any plans in the works on any huge scale to increase routes or build tracks, never hear about it in the news etc. I certainly don't have anything against Amtrak, I've never even been on a train besides BART and Cal-Train which I hear are nothing like the Superliner/Viewliners. I'm looking forward to it,prob going to get a sleepette as I would have the creeps alone for almost 2 or more days on a train, but of course like almost everyone else, I'm going to look for a deal since it will cost me a fair amount almost 1K at what looks like higher bucket going one way, lower going back - that doesn't make me some kind of shylock coupon criminal. Oh and one more thing, why is it you cant lock the door if you upgrade to a room , I know you can lock it while you are in it from reading stuff, is it just about if it locks and people steal your stuff, there is liability, if it doesn't lock, you take your stuff with you that might be worth anything? Just seems not very private even if you don't have any valuable stuff except maybe a laptop which of course you would keep with you.

I've had to show my AAA card once, on the train--the Texas Eagle.

I would never leave home without any card that gets me a possible discount, or, pays for road service since I am usually driving at some point in my trips, and not all my relatives have emergency road service.

.... Anyway, i am thinking about a long distance trip, and was researching trying to get a deal , but it almost seems like some of the various posts I have seen from people looking to get a better rate are kind of met with a little bit of hostility ,as if we are trying to hurt Amtrak or the employees when actually you guys have the monopoly, it isn't like plane fares, there isn't any competition, and I don't see any plans in the works on any huge scale to increase routes or build tracks, never hear about it in the news etc. ...

Are you thinking this forum is an Amtrak sponsored organization? It isn't. We're just passengers like you.

Just one man's point of view~ if you have to stoop to use a woman's discount and can't (or don't want to) pay the appropriate fare, stay home or start walking.

Alas, 'twas not I who asked for your ID. I've yet to work on the other side of the Mississippi River.

Travel light!

~BJG

Amtrak's prices, Train Virgin, are such that they lose money on every non-NEC and Auto-Train passenger they carry. If, based on that, you think their prices are unfair, I think you have another think coming. I don't like how high they are, trust me, but I support Amtrak as an organization, and their prices are quite fair.

Second, I have ridden the train many times and have not, in my 15+ years of riding Amtrak trains, and my 20 years of riding trains in general (out of my 24 year life, btw) had something stolen from me. I go sleeper most of the time. They are safe as heck. The reason for no keys? Couldn't tell you. But not having them lock from the outside predates Amtrak as a practice.

I haven't had stuff stole sitting in coach, haven't had it stolen in sleepers, period. Trains are a very safe way to travel. Now, don't tempt fate. If you have a laptop, for instance, keep it in your briefcase. And there is no reason why you can't close the door and curtains to your room. Nobody is entering a room with the door and curtains closed.

Trains are the most civilized form of long distance transportation available in this country. If you have to pay extra for it, trust me, you get what you pay for. No, not just most civilized form- ONLY civilized form.

Amtrak's prices, Train Virgin, are such that they lose money on every non-NEC and Auto-Train passenger they carry. If, based on that, you think their prices are unfair, I think you have another think coming. I don't like how high they are, trust me, but I support Amtrak as an organization, and their prices are quite fair.
Amtrak looses money on every passenger they carry, be it NEC or otherwise, except for state subsidized trains and even then techically someone is still loosing money, just not Amtrak.

Amtrak looses money on every passenger they carry, be it NEC or otherwise, except for state subsidized trains and even then techically someone is still loosing money, just not Amtrak.
Alas I feel sorry for Amtrak- I can't afford anything but what I pay, and a lot of times I feel guilty that a ticket is in the low bucket- but what's a guy supposed to do?

I guess that just by traveling at all with Amtrak, I am supporting them.

Naturally, you support them, and they need all the support they can get. I just have an issue with people stealing. Including myself, if anyone remembers that. :unsure:

Just one man's point of view~ if you have to stoop to use a woman's discount and can't (or don't want to) pay the appropriate fare, stay home or start walking.
I probably wouldn't stoop to using the discount code, but the fact that it's intended for women only has nothing to do with it. If this club is for women only and the discount is better than any available to men (which seems to be the case), I'd say it's Amtrak that's in the wrong; the appropriate fare should not vary based on sex (or race, religion, etc.) Charging the wealthiest age group less for the same product is one thing; that practice seems to be legal and at least everyone has a chance of qualifying. Giving members of a club that discriminates against sex, race, etc. is going too far; it would seem to violate Amtrak's Code of Ethics (page 4).

How does a group get a discount code? Could group that discriminates in membership on the basis of race, religion, etc. get a deal for a discount code?

Red Hat Society sounds like a club that would be made up of mostly nerdy men (fans of the Linux distro). :D

I probably wouldn't stoop to using the discount code, but the fact that it's intended for women only has nothing to do with it. If this club is for women only and the discount is better than any available to men (which seems to be the case), I'd say it's Amtrak that's in the wrong; the appropriate fare should not vary based on sex (or race, religion, etc.) Charging the wealthiest age group less for the same product is one thing; that practice seems to be legal and at least everyone has a chance of qualifying. Giving members of a club that discriminates against sex, race, etc. is going too far; it would seem to violate Amtrak's Code of Ethics (page 4).

How does a group get a discount code? Could group that discriminates in membership on the basis of race, religion, etc. get a deal for a discount code?

Red Hat Society sounds like a club that would be made up of mostly nerdy men (fans of the Linux distro). :D
I think you are being rather silly, but why not go ahead and apply for membership in the Red Hat Society - they may let you in - I can't wait to see you in your purple dress and red hat.

I think you are being rather silly, but why not go ahead and apply for membership in the Red Hat Society - they may let you in - I can't wait to see you in your purple dress and red hat.
As much as I'm thrilled about the prospect of wearing a purple dress and red hat, I cannot join their club, and I don't think I'm being silly. I don't think this is a huge deal either.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but, as I read it, discounts available only to women are against Amtrak's own rules:

"Similarly,
business relationships with
competitors, suppliers and
customers of Amtrak

must always be conducted free of discrimination based on
race, color, religion,
sex

(including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), age, national origin or

ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status or

any status protected by law not listed here. All Amtrak employees are responsible for

implementing Amtrak’s policy of nondiscrimination.

Our values, honesty and standards of conduct do not stop with our actions or at our doors.

We expect the same from our suppliers, customers and others with whom we do business.

Even if it's the Red Hats that discriminate (and not Amtrak), it would still appear to violate the rules. OTOH it seems that several other discounts (eg senior) also violate their code.

Sorry for being redundant, but I thought at this time it might be the appropriate place to point it out again, that this discount code isn't even intented for all members of the Red Hat Society. It is only for those members who pay extra to be a part of their "Purple Perks" program, that get to use this discount (and other "Purple Perks" discounts too).

I guess it would be kind of like using a Sams Club discount, and not having paid for a Sams Club membership.

I think the Red Had Society deal is a negotiated discount. Any organization is probably welcome to negotiate a deal I would expect. No matter what race, creed, or sex. What's wrong with that?

I think the Red Had Society deal is a negotiated discount. Any organization is probably welcome to negotiate a deal I would expect. No matter what race, creed, or sex. What's wrong with that?
It clearly violates Amtrak's own rules (unless I am misreading them). Whether it's morally, ethically, etc. right or wrong doesn't matter. Amtrak should either change their code of ethics or end the discount.

Would Amtrak negotiate discounts for members of a whites-only club? Does a willingness to negotiate with any other racially-selective club (regardless of race) it acceptable? No and no. (Not that I'm comparing the organization in question to a racist club; I know basically nothing about the group.)

People are free to associate with whomever they please. Amtrak is not and should not be free to do so.

It clearly violates Amtrak's own rules (unless I am misreading them). Whether it's morally, ethically, etc. right or wrong doesn't matter. Amtrak should either change their code of ethics or end the discount.
Just about every single discount Amtrak offers, discriminates against all those who are not eligible.

The senior and child discount discriminates by age.

The military/veterans discount discriminates by sexual orientation.

The railpass discount discriminates by national origin.

Would Amtrak negotiate discounts for members of a whites-only club? Does a willingness to negotiate with any other racially-selective club (regardless of race) it acceptable? No and no. (Not that I'm comparing the organization in question to a racist club; I know basically nothing about the group.)

People are free to associate with whomever they please. Amtrak is not and should not be free to do so.
Write your congressman then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back