do people tip the conductor to get good seats in coach?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Too few people see the relationship between tipping and bribing and even fewer understand the difference. Consider this: Research has shown that in places where people tip heavily, bribes are more likely to exchange hands as well. In addition, Countries with higher rates of tipping behavior also tended to have higher rates of corruption.
Tipping is almost never seen in China (service workers might even refuse a tip), but government officials taking bribes is endemic.

Tipping is almost never seen in China (service workers might even refuse a tip), but government officials taking bribes is endemic.
Are you sure you're not thinking of Japanese culture?

I've never once seen a Japanese worker accept a tip, regardless of position.

The reaction is generally subdued but can vary from mild confusion to personal insult.

On the other hand I've seen hundreds of Chinese people accept or even outright request a tip.

For most of my life calm and polite Japanese tourists were a common sight throughout much of Asia.

Now they're slowly being replaced with loud and obnoxious tourists from China who act like Americans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure you're not thinking of Japanese culture?

I've never once seen a Japanese worker accept a tip, regardless of position.

The reaction is generally subdued but can vary from mild confusion to personal insult.

On the other hand I've seen hundreds of Chinese people accept or even outright request a tip.

For most of my life calm and polite Japanese tourists were a common sight throughout much of Asia.

Now they're slowly being replaced with loud and obnoxious tourists from China who act like Americans.
Maybe it depends on the position or location. I've been on trips to China where I've ducked into a non-tourist restaurant. The food wasn't fancy and but it was quite good and reasonably priced. I think a similar meal in the US would have cost about $35 but we spent under $10. When we insisted on leaving a small tip, the waitstaff seemed almost embarassed. However, our tour guide required a "service fee" in dollars.

In more western style restaurants in China they're starting to warm up to it, but it's not as if they'll consider it an insult if one doesn't tip.

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/essential/tipping.htm

I also remember visiting Taiwan once, where the owner came to our table and got to practice her English on me. She specifically said "We pay our staff well. You are not expected to tip them and we don't allow them to accept tips."

Granted, I've been to China many times - even as far back as 1985 when tipping was definitely considered bad form. Even back then corruption was rampant. Everyone knew in order to get ahead in life one would bribe a government official.

I would never consider tipping a conductor. He does nothing for me but collect tickets. He provides no service. Most I have seen have a gruff attitude and not friendly. There is little interaction with them. They run the train same as an hotel manager, ships captain, airline pilot or bus driver and one would not tip them.
I know I am not that experienced on train travel, but the last two trips which included all the western LD trains except the SWC, I have had conductors that were friendly, gruff, funny, stern, it all depends on the time and place. They have a lot on their plate to be responsible for making sure that everyone and everything runs smoothly on the train. Passengers like to complain and the conductor has the last word, so has to deal with the noisiest of the squeaky wheels.

The whole tipping culture thing is - extremely locality and culture dependent.

In USA almost everybody tips in restaurants and cab drivers. Drivers or waiters feel insulted if there is no tip. Everybody knows that waiters and cab drivers are underpaid.

If I would be so culturally inept as to try to tip at -- say - an "urgent care" medical service to get better service - the staff would note "patient possibly disoriented - please evaluate mental status" = "try to tip here - your are crazy"

In Deutschland 25 years ago -- "keep the change" ok - mutual lets-not-bother with the small stuff. More than the change would be insult to server.

In Japan or South Korea - never think of tipping - could be insult to service provider. In China - I have no experience nor clue.

On Amtrak - Redhats - $5. Sleeper room attendants $0-15 per night depending on quality of service. And for the best of them, commend to Amtrak as "superior service"

But never try to tip the conductor. That's a traditional nono that is still true in USA.

On the rare times I travel coach a discreet folded $20 will get me 2 seats to myself during the overnight portion of my trip. A small price to pay to have 2 seats to sleep on during the overnight. $10-$20 has also gotten me shower use as long as its after 11pm or so. As one Amtrak employee told me, you hook us up, we hook you up. $20 is the deal of the century to have no seatmate for your overnight.

On the rare times I travel coach a discreet folded $20 will get me 2 seats to myself during the overnight portion of my trip. A small price to pay to have 2 seats to sleep on during the overnight. $10-$20 has also gotten me shower use as long as its after 11pm or so. As one Amtrak employee told me, you hook us up, we hook you up. $20 is the deal of the century to have no seatmate for your overnight.
Everyone likes having two seats to themselves in Coach but in case you aren't aware, these less than Brilliant OBS are risking their jobs for $20 and You are @ risk of being Put Off the Train if discovered in the Sleeper taking a Shower! Happens all the time!

Sounds like bribery to me even if the OBS isn't being threatened. TIPS are given AFTER good service, NOT for SPECIAL treatment

Nothing like a little bribe to get an Amtrak employee to break the rules.

What a great tip. What's to lose? It's just 20 bucks. I will definitely try this next coach trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back