Do we really need HSR for LD?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't Amtrak have an early example of something similar in the NEC? IIRC, they allowed some com company to lay their fiber-optics line along the NEC, in exchange for Amtrak being allocated a portion of its service...
That was allocation of channels on what would otherwise be dark fiber for a while at least. It was a win-win because Amtrak needed that capacity to do the full upgrade they were planning to the CETC system, and the Telco was able to monetize a facility that was otherwise going to be dark fiber producing nothing. It did not involve any use in wireless telephony enroute AFAIR. It was just high capacity digital data link.

Also like in the roomette, we could probably remove the closet thing and just put shelves there. Not many people use the closet. There could be an outlet by each seat, so that we don't need to bring a power strip.
I visit NYC alot so I'm a fan of
minimalist micro hotels like Arlo, Pod Hotels, and Yotel. Open concept storage is one a good thing.

The vast majority of physical damage done to asphalt is caused by commercial vehicles. You can see it with your own eyes if you pay attention to the pavement near commercial plants and along freight corridors. A sea of hybrid sedans driving in circles for the life of the vehicle wouldn't be able to match the damage of a single high gross weight truck.

The damage between a car like a Prius and the damage from a semi has been quoted as 410 times more damage. So if you charge a Prius 1 cent per mile, you'd have to charge a semi $4.10 per mile. At least this is the rate I heard quoted on a podcast about traffic engineering. If we charged trucks a mileage fee based on weight, long distance trucking would go under almost immediately.

I guess it would be one of those new deal type of projects. If money isn't an object and all there would be a giant rail corridor from New Orleans to Boston. 4 tracks all electrified. Trains could go up to 200 MPH on this line.

Hubs:
New Orleans
Atlanta
Charlotte
Richmond
Washington DC
Philadelphia
NYC
Boston

The Acela would remain in service.

Each stop would have 2 to 3 trains as well.

Regional lines below would have speeds of 125.

Florida Regional:

Florida West Coast:
Miami/Naples/Ft. Myers/Sarasota/Tampa/The Villages/Ocala/Gainesville/Tallahassee/Pensacola then on to New Orleans.

New Orleans:
Gulf Coast to Orlando, FL
Sunset Limited to LA
City of NO to Chicago

Atlanta:
Atlanta/Augusta/Savannah
Atlanta/Jacksonville/Orlando
Atlanta/Chattanooga/Nashville (express)

Nashville:
Nashville to Memphis
Nashville/ Evansville/ St. Louis
Nashville/Louisville/Cincinnati/Columbus/Cleveland
Nashville/Louisville/Indianapolis/Chicago

Charlotte:
Charlotte/ Asheville/Knoxville/Nashville
Charlotte/Florence/Myrtle Beach

Richmond:
Richmond/Charlottesville/Lynchburg/Roanoke
Northeast Regional Trains

DC north would keep the same regional service with a few additions. A Boston-Montreal service would be introduced.

Wear and tear on a highway goes up to the 4th power of the weight on a tire. So your Prius has maybe 750 pounds on each tire. A Tractor trailer 18 wheels 80,000 pounds means 4444 pound on each tire. That is 6 times the weight . to the 4th power = 1296 times the damages of your Prius.

An example often use is the Parkway system around NY City. Some of them built after WW-2 have clearances too low for trucks or buses. They have never been repaved.

An example often use is the Parkway system around NY City. Some of them built after WW-2 have clearances too low for trucks or buses. They have never been repaved.
Which ones have never been repaved? I know for certain, the ones I used the most have been repaved many times...the Grand Central and Northern Parkways...

So what you are saying is long Distance trucking is heavily subsidized?
Yes and the public has been convinced that cars cause most road damage and we pay taxes based on that. Like in California the tax on gas is 82 cents per gallon and $1.13 for diesel. Or diesel pays just a little more despite diesel powered vehicles tending to do a disproportionate amount of road damage.

Which ones have never been repaved? I know for certain, the ones I used the most have been repaved many times...the Grand Central and Northern Parkways...
The Southern State and Sagtikos have been repaved and then proceeded to develop deep ruts and potholes and then was repaved again several times, in the 40 or so years that I have driven on it now and then. :)

Northern roads that go thru freeze and thaw cycles can and do get potholes almost over night. I am really appreciating the Florida roads, and so does my Prius.:cool:

Getting more freight and passengers onto the rails is something we need to work on, but I personally don't see that happening given the situation the railways are in. Either the government is going to need to take the rights of way into public ownership and manage the market to some extent or the government is going to have to pull the plug on the trucking industry. The problem with option 1 is that it would cost a lot even if the railways would go for it since they could relieve themselves of liabilities for cash and get access to better infrastructure. The problem would be Congress's general disdain for spending money on things that would benefit the public and the public's weird ability to be scared out of rational thought by putting "billion" after a number. The second option likely won't happen because "the federal government shouldn't be picking winners and losers in the economy". That argument will get trotted out even though the government has very clearly picked a winner, subsidizes the "winner" and has left its competitor for dead. Doing something at the state level is also hard since its against federal laws* to put general tolls on the Interstate highways and putting a mileage charge on trucks would have to be done nationwide or it wouldn't work. And if studying business and public policy has taught me anything, there will always be at least one state willing to undercut the rest in the hopes of making a quick buck.

If it survives the pandemic, Kissimmee has a pizza place within walking distance of the train station and Winter Park also has some places within walking distance

Where I'm at in Florida we have one road where the easiest way to fix the potholes is to just build an overpass.

Where we are in Florida there is a perfectly good track that Amtrak used to use and a station that is now only used for thruway bus service ... sad the train no longer comes this way

Sounds like Ocala. They have a nice station that's no longer used for trains but does have thruway bus service.

Where we are in Florida there is a perfectly good track that Amtrak used to use and a station that is now only used for thruway bus service ... sad the train no longer comes this way
In exchange for removing all through freight trains from the (Palatka) - Deland - Orlando - Poinciana, all passenger trains were removed from the line via Ocala. SunRail got control of Deland - (Orlando) - Poinciana in that deal.

I wonder though if CSX would be agreeable for the use of the unused part of their ROW via Ocala if the additional track was designed to have no connection or at grade crossing with the freight track and provide no interference. That possibility would be worth exploring I think.

In exchange for removing all through freight trains from the (Palatka) - Deland - Orlando - Poinciana, all passenger trains were removed from the line via Ocala. SunRail got control of Deland - (Orlando) - Poinciana in that deal.

I wonder though if CSX would be agreeable for the use of the unused part of their ROW via Ocala if the additional track was designed to have no connection or at grade crossing with the freight track and provide no interference. That possibility would be worth exploring I think.

I thought the silver palm ended well before the sunrail deal... but maybe the timeline in my head is way off.

I thought the silver palm ended well before the sunrail deal... but maybe the timeline in my head is way off.
Until the deal happened, Amtrak could exercise its access rights to put a train on that line, even though they may not have used that right for a while. After the deal they cannot.

Of course, now that they are responsible for the Palatka - Deland segment themselves, they have even less of an incentive to go chasing after that other line. If anything happens there it will be whenever FDOT wakes up and chooses to strike some new deal with CSX, which of course could be an eternity.

Until the deal happened, Amtrak could exercise its access rights to put a train on that line, even though they may not have used that right for a while. After the deal they cannot.

Of course, now that they are responsible for the Palatka - Deland segment themselves, they have even less of an incentive to go chasing after that other line. If anything happens there it will be whenever FDOT wakes up and chooses to strike some new deal with CSX, which of course could be an eternity.

Oh I see. That makes sense.

I know that the Coast Starlight had WiFi when we took it in 2017. But when we last rode it in February 2019, I asked the sleeper attendant if I needed a password for access, and he said the WiFi had been discontinued just a few days before that. He didn't know why. I also recall that when we rode in 2017, my son kept going from our sleeper room back to the business class car to sit, because the signal was stronger there.

The wifi access points on the Coast Starlight were just consumer-grade Verizon hotspots -- the kind some people carry around in their pocket. It's not any faster than just tethering with your phone, and has the same limitations. I remember one trip I took on the Starlight, someone had actually hacked the access point and renamed it with a funny message if you checked its user interface.

Having a Starlink dish in every car would be nice but hard to implement as it would need to have a place to mount it that let it point upwards unobstructed. i.e. they would have to hack part of the roof out. I suppose you could get away with one dish hacked into the baggage car and then mesh network it to access points in the rest of the train. Spectrum usage would still be an issue as if you use unlicensed spectrum, some person firing up their own hotspot on that frequency would screw the entire train. (Also Starlink doesn't work very well in moving vehicles right now, but that should improve as constellation density goes up and they release dishes with better tracking and suspension).

People who can work from remote generally like long-distance trains if they have a good data plan on their mobile device that they can tether with. Once you get them to try it out, they actually appreciate it. A roomette becomes an office on wheels. The dog slow speed of Amtrak long distance trains won't help anyone though who have to make their retail or physical labor jobs where remote work is not an option. They want to do other things on their days off than sitting on a train, even if they actually enjoy the train. The train needs to *at least* be faster than driving on the interstate.

I take the Coast Starlight fairly regularly and like to take friends with me to show them how nice the trip can be. Speed is their number one complaint, followed by the rough ride on the poorly-maintained segments. They did appreciate the Pacific Parlour car back when they still existed -- they were impressed by the big comfy chairs.

You could even keep some of the slow segments if the bulk of the route could be gotten up to 110mph. Salinas to Paso Robles is the part that could be most improved (not much scenery, relatively flat/straight right-of-way, crappy-ass track).

The worst part track-wise is the Elkhorn Slough where the tracks are literally underwater at high tide sometimes. I gotta admit I enjoy that though as the train sloshes through, since there's plenty of great wildlife to watch while the train temporarily turns into a boat.

Back