Do you carry a scanner to listen to Amtrak radio chit chat?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver Star rider

Service Attendant
If you do, does the train personal know that you are? I assume you use ear phones while you listen.

What was the most interesting things you heard that maybe they didn't want passengers to hear?

Bruce-SSR

Last edited by a moderator:
I almost always have my Scanner and small airline-style 'phones with me. Often the OBS Crew will keep up with me to find out about delays and such. I've heard many interesting tidbits and reports over the air, one of the best being when our #2 Unit on the Lake Shore Limited caught fire just as we left Schenectady. The Lounge Car became our makeshift "newsroom" as several pax and Crew gathered to hear updates; for obvious reasons the Conductors did not have time to make frequent updates on the 1MC.

In conjunction with a Railroad Atlas or Timetable such as those from Altamont Press the Scanner is a priceless tool.

Always have my scanner with me for rail travel. The SCA's usually notice and sometimes check with me for updates.

One of the best (humorous) was Eugene, Oregon on the Coast Starlight as we departed: "We have a runner on the platform"!

OlympianHiawatha: "1MC", love it!

Never ride an Amtrak train without a scanner. Ever. It's the sure way to know what's happening in case of delay or irregular operations.

I think it's important not to exaggerate what a scanner brings to the table. Unless your train is involved in something truly significant 99% of scanner traffic is going to be automated defect detector readouts with a handful of short form dispatcher communications. These days unless a delay is caused by something controversial or emotionally upsetting the conductor is likely to relay the relevant information via the PA anyhow. I'm not saying a scanner doesn't have its place but the way some folks talk about them you'd think it was a verbose running commentary on everything your train is experiencing. Even basic scanners can cost as much as a coach ticket while the latest and greatest models can cost as much as a sleeping compartment. If you already have a portable scanner sitting around then by all means bring it along. On the other hand if money is tight or packing space is limited then a scanner is by no means necessary.

I got a scanner when I took my first LD trip on the recommendations of several people on this board. I always use it with headphones, and I don't listen to it all the time. I do pull it out when we are stopped because generally I can find out what is going on based on the chatter.

Two summers ago I was on an EB trip that was going normally, maybe an hour or two late, when my husband and I were listening to the scanner and we heard that there had been a derailment of a freight train up ahead. The chatter indicated that cars were on fire and multiple freight cars were turned over. I got to hear the conductor and the engineer arguing with dispatch about parking the train in the station in Glasgow (so the pax could get out and walk around) or just on a siding/in a yard.

I definitely had much more information than even my SCA with the scanner.

On my most recent trip I heard some friendly banter between the conductor about moving rocks off the tracks in front of the CZ. There had been a small slide in front of us. I could hear the engineer advising dispatch why we had stopped, dispatch offering to send something out to help clear the tracks, etc. That crew kept us updated so that the pax did know what was going on, but I find it comforting to listen to the scanner and have that as a tool because amtrak is not always known for being the most communicative in IRROPS.

If you have a scanner, please use headphones. And never leave your roomette door open when using your scanner. Every trip in sleeper accommodations I have taken has had people who don't follow these basic courtesies.

Unless your train is involved in something truly significant 99% of scanner traffic is going to be automated defect detector readouts with a handful of short form dispatcher communications.
And unfortunately, we know this is true thanks to the inconsiderate railfans who listen to their scanners without headphones, thinking that the thin walls of a sleeping compartment somehow exempts them from common courtesy.

I don't have a scanner but on most LD trips there are people who do and will share any info with others who ask whats gping on including the OBS! On my point runs on the Eagles I usually hang out with a Conductor in the CCC so Im pretty much in touch with what's happening as we roll along or something happens!

When it comes to crew sharing info with passengers, we often have more info than they do! As we say here on AU, "It's Amtrak!" YMMV

We've traveled over 30,000 miles on LD train, mostly in sleepers and have yet to have someone with a scanner not using headsets or keeping it inaudible. It hasn't really been a problem.

Just beware that when you listen to a scanner, the employees will use railroad terminology. If you have never worked for a railroad or had another occasion to learn railroad terminology, you could be mystified.

On-board crews vary in their diligence in making announcements and the extent of information that they give. I stand by my position that I will bring along a scanner (and headphone) whenever I ride.

Back in the days when commercial pilots put their primary VHF transceiver on one of the in-flight entertainment channels, that was a great way to get additional info. Alas, after 9-11 that stopped almost everywhere.

Another thing to listen to, particularly out east is when the crew "calls" the signals. They literally call out on the radio what the signal is showing. I say "particularly out east" because I vaguely remember reading that the western roads only required calling out less than clear signals, but I may be wrong or it may have changed. This doesn't really give too much info, if you have a track chart, you can know where you are, and if you hear them call, say, Approach, you know you'll probably be stopping within a minute or so.

We've traveled over 30,000 miles on LD train, mostly in sleepers and have yet to have someone with a scanner not using headsets or keeping it inaudible. It hasn't really been a problem.
I have no idea how many miles I've traveled on Amtrak but I've heard audible scanners without headsets on more than a few occasions. Doesn't mean it was always to the level of rudeness but it does happen.

I stand by my position that I will bring along a scanner (and headphone) whenever I ride.
If you've already got one then by all means bring it, but the idea that every single Amtrak ride needs a scanner is just plain silly. If the day comes when the majority of Amtrak trips are impacted severely enough to make carrying a scanner truly mandatory then I'd begin to wonder what was the point of getting on in the first place.

Back in the days when commercial pilots put their primary VHF transceiver on one of the in-flight entertainment channels, that was a great way to get additional info. Alas, after 9-11 that stopped almost everywhere.
Who besides UA was tapping ATC into the audio entertainment system in 2001? Many UA pilots decided to disconnect CH9 after we entered the latest era of fear but even then it remained pilots discretion. It's been a while since I tried accessing CH9 on mainline UA-spec aircraft (not applicable to former CO or regional aircraft) but I've heard the ATC transmissions several times since 9-11. Often if CH9 was dead (either silent or playing jazz) you could ask the FA to request it be turned on by the pilot. Simply asking nicely resulted in about a 50% total success rate in my experience. Maybe things are different now but that's how it was the last time I put much thought into it.

Most AA DC-10 ops did it, but AA parked the last one in November 2000. I have heard, but can't personally confirm, that some AA A300 pilots were turning it on in 2001.

I agree it would be silly to buy a scanner just for Amtrak. That said, now that I have a Bose QC15, I won't fly without it either.

I don't recall hearing it on anyone else. My last trip to Hawaii there was no Ch 9 either way. :(

I always take the scanner - you can certainly to a trip without one, but you learn some entertaining things. Twice I've heard us stop and pick up freight crews (one had died on the law outside of Winslow, AZ, the other was a conductor that had to walk the train and was more than happy to get a ride back to his head end to continue their trip.

I have a scanner that I used to take on my trips. Due to limited space (I would rather bring fruit and wine) and the fact that I am often traveling with others who have scanners, I have left mine behind for the last couple of years.

I've been wanting to get a compact scanner to carry with me. Recommended model?

I have a 2 meter/440 handheld that I use for Amateur Radio purposes. I can also use it to listen to the railroad bands, and will take it on most of my trips. I haven't heard anything unusual yet (mostly just detectors indicating that our trucks aren't on fire). I suppose that is a good thing though, haha.

I've been wanting to get a compact scanner to carry with me. Recommended model?
I'm also interested in the answer to this question. Can anyone suggest a very basic model (i.e. cheap)?

Always have my scanner with me for rail travel. The SCA's usually notice and sometimes check with me for updates.

One of the best (humorous) was Eugene, Oregon on the Coast Starlight as we departed: "We have a runner on the platform"!

OlympianHiawatha: "1MC", love it!
May have to explain that to me. so I get it also ;)

Bruce-SSR

I think it's important not to exaggerate what a scanner brings to the table. Unless your train is involved in something truly significant 99% of scanner traffic is going to be automated defect detector readouts with a handful of short form dispatcher communications. These days unless a delay is caused by something controversial or emotionally upsetting the conductor is likely to relay the relevant information via the PA anyhow. I'm not saying a scanner doesn't have its place but the way some folks talk about them you'd think it was a verbose running commentary on everything your train is experiencing. Even basic scanners can cost as much as a coach ticket while the latest and greatest models can cost as much as a sleeping compartment. If you already have a portable scanner sitting around then by all means bring it along. On the other hand if money is tight or packing space is limited then a scanner is by no means necessary.
I already own a portable scanner. The rechargeable batteries have long ago been too lazy to hold a charge anymore. With all the electronics I carry, the scanner is the last on my mind to bring.

I just take a trip once a year. The only time I had a significant delay was when one of the coach cars had a flat wheel, so we had to wait in Raleigh for another car to be delivered. I believe it was the SCA who told us that.

Bruce-SSR

I already own a portable scanner. The rechargeable batteries have long ago been too lazy to hold a charge anymore. With all the electronics I carry, the scanner is the last on my mind to bring.

I just take a trip once a year. The only time I had a significant delay was when one of the coach cars had a flat wheel, so we had to wait in Raleigh for another car to be delivered. I believe it was the SCA who told us that.

Bruce-SSR
I should mention years ago I had a 4 channel crystal scanner. When riding the NYC Subway, I used to take it with me, listening via earphone. When I got my first MP3 player, I listened more to that, unless I was stuck for a portion of time, then I switched over to the scanner.

Bruce-SSR

No. I usually have a RR Radio with me, when on business, but have never felt the need to turn it on and listen in when on Amtrak. It's all out of my controll anyway, so why worry about it? We'll get there, or we won't. We'll be on time, or we won't. Nothing I can gain from being better informed than the next guy, so I prefer to tune it all out.

I carry one on trips but don't turn it on unless something is going wrong. This was really nice when we were on the TE last summer and it broke down in the middle of nowhere in 100 degree weather. It was pretty interesting listening to the engineers diagnose the problem with the dispatcher and go through the steps to try and get it restarted. It was also nice to know we were about to get bustituted but at the last minute they got the engine fired up. Our attendant had no idea what was going on.

I have heard people in sleepers blaring the scanners. It is pretty annoying. I always use earbuds from my phone.

I've always wondered why more staff don't carry radios or scanners. Seems like they'd want to know what was going on as well. I find it rather curious when the staff asks a passenger with a scanner what's going on. Are they prevented from bringing one on board themselves and if so why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back