Dodging Parking Fees!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO parking costs are an impediment to rail travel. The NEC is the worst. Take for instance PHL . They have a large multi-story lot but the cost is a whopping $25.00 per day! I wonder who the greedy creeps were that came up with this price? There are some private lots in the ares but still the cost is in the $20 range. I've come to the conclusion that parking lot owners are all crazy.

At Metropark Iselin the fee is $5.00 per day but if you don't get there by 8AM the place is always sold out, plus only the NEC trains stop there. No long distance service is offered.

At NYP you'll be lucky to find parking in the area at $38-$65.00 per day. BAL ($22 day) and WAS ($20 day) chargexorbitantlyly high prices as well. As a result we just drive to places outside the NEC area and pick up the train there. Next trip for us to CHI leaves from Harpers Ferry. There is a 700 car lot there run by the National Park service where you can park just for park admission. I guess we will just have to live with driving a few hours for an overnight trip. There is no other solution that we can think of.
I guess you think land in a built up area like PHL is cheap. Or building costs for a multi level garage in an urban center. Why don't you buy a large lot, build a multi million dollar garage and charge $1 a day for parking?

Until the lot itself was turned over to the City of Sacramento for management.
Whose decision was that?
Probably the Union Pacific Railroad. Considering that the station grounds were once railroad property, and is part of the large former Southern Pacific Sacramento Rail Yards, all but the ROW was sold to the city for pennies on the dollar. The city just translated the tourist lot fee they were charging for the Old Town garage across the street over to the station lot. The system used for paying fees uses numbered spaces, which you much remember, and then enter into an automated validation machine. There are two (marginally working) machines on each side of the station entrance. You enter your space number, estimate how long you're going to be occupying the space (hourly or daily; $1.50 an hour up to the maximum of $9 per day) and then enter your payment documents (cash/credit.) A ticket is printed that you keep as proof of payment. The machines are linked to an overall network which has records of which spaces have been paid for, and with an expiration timestamp associated. Sacramento City Parking Enforcement heavily patrols the lot, usually once every 30 minutes, and uses a handheld meter device that is updated in real-time on which spaces are legally occupied. Tickets are costly, and like all municipal parking agencies, dealing with the meter maid is like talking to a brick wall in China. A broken validation machine is not an excuse. If both machines are out of order, the city expects you to leave and find another lot with a working machine, even if said lot is blocks away.

But, I guess we still have parking options, unlike San Antonio.

People of Sacramento, this is hiking...

People of Sacramento, this is not hiking...
I'm a definitive expert on hiking. Do it for a living. I hike more than 99.9% of the American populous. But in slang terminology, the hike at SAC can still be used as a measure between other local stations. Especially ones like Davis, with the tracks only 20 feet from the station waiting room.

I suppose this is what you have to expect when you name your thread "Dodging Parking Fees!"
Yup! I'm not swindling anyone when choosing my options. I can pay the higher fees at SAC, use transit to get back and forth between my house and the station (it takes an hour on the bus/lightrail vs. 13 minutes to drive) or just go to a place like Davis and still have access to every single train that serves SAC and not pay for parking at all (though, there are far fewer parking spaces available at the peak commute hours.)

And in the case of 'loosing' your ticket in Kansas City? Sounds like that is more the fault of who ever manages the lot than the people who are willing to take the easy way out. Usually loosing your ticket at a gate-style lot means a penalty rate many times higher than what you would normally be charged. Just saying....
California law is about to change (1 Jan.), if the meter is broken you can park there without charge. Cities may opt out, but must post clearly visible notices. Only Los Angeles has opted out.

California law is about to change (1 Jan.), if the meter is broken you can park there without charge. Cities may opt out, but must post clearly visible notices. Only Los Angeles has opted out.
Good to know!

Many motels will offer free parking for a trip if you stay there one night. Often, the hotel is cheaper than the parking for a week or more. You can always call the manager and ask even if they do not have a stated policy. Big advantage if you have early train or if it is due to arrive late evening.

Another possibility is to have some minor work done on your car at a nearby dealership or repair place. You can tell them you will be gone for a number of days and would like to have your car serviced by the time you get back. Often dealerships provide complementary shuttle service.

A third possibility is a local church. Ask them if they will allow you to park and give them a donation. You can take a taxi to/from the church.

Lastly, there is the "forgiveness" request. You park at a 24 hour mega-store, then call them an say you had a sudden family emergency and a neighbor picked you up because your car didn't start. You will be back in a week and could they just have security keep an eye on it.

Many motels will offer free parking for a trip if you stay there one night. Often, the hotel is cheaper than the parking for a week or more. You can always call the manager and ask even if they do not have a stated policy. Big advantage if you have early train or if it is due to arrive late evening.

Another possibility is to have some minor work done on your car at a nearby dealership or repair place. You can tell them you will be gone for a number of days and would like to have your car serviced by the time you get back. Often dealerships provide complementary shuttle service.

A third possibility is a local church. Ask them if they will allow you to park and give them a donation. You can take a taxi to/from the church.

Lastly, there is the "forgiveness" request. You park at a 24 hour mega-store, then call them an say you had a sudden family emergency and a neighbor picked you up because your car didn't start. You will be back in a week and could they just have security keep an eye on it.
First three items are good suggestions. Last one is an out right lie.

First three items are good suggestions. Last one is an out right lie.
Especially since many "mega-stores" will let you park in their lot overnight for free if you ask them. I've parked at Walmart and Walgreens before when catching the Megabus out of Omaha. Usually they just ask that you park in the furthest corner of the lot. (Of course, it's courteous to use that store for your last-minute needs, like a bottle of pop or chapstick or something.)

Especially since many "mega-stores" will let you park in their lot overnight for free if you ask them. I've parked at Walmart and Walgreens before when catching the Megabus out of Omaha. Usually they just ask that you park in the furthest corner of the lot. (Of course, it's courteous to use that store for your last-minute needs, like a bottle of pop or chapstick or something.)
Many Wal-Marts allow RVs and trucks to park overnight. It's generally a regional or manager decision. Some locations don't have a large enough lot. It's typically the ones in the middle of nowhere with huge lots that will allow overnight parking. I live in a densely populated metro area, and pretty much none of the ones around here allow for overnight parking.

Train and transit advocates complaining about high cost of parking is a terribly odd thing to see.

Train and transit advocates complaining about high cost of parking is a terribly odd thing to see.
It's part of the cost of taking public transport. Many people are cost conscious and do drive. Someone who lives in the suburbs probably has few options that don't involve driving at least part of the way.

For example, if I had my choice between paying $10 a day to park at the local public transport station and driving, I'd probably drive since I get free parking at work.

It really is something additional to think about. It costs anywhere from $9 to $20 a day to park at an airport's economy lot. Taking a train becomes a more appealing choice if parking is complimentary.

It's part of the cost of taking public transport. Many people are cost conscious and do drive. Someone who lives in the suburbs probably has few options that don't involve driving at least part of the way.

For example, if I had my choice between paying $10 a day to park at the local public transport station and driving, I'd probably drive since I get free parking at work.

It really is something additional to think about. It costs anywhere from $9 to $20 a day to park at an airport's economy lot. Taking a train becomes a more appealing choice if parking is complimentary.
Especially if/when one's parking bill can easily equal the cost of Sleeper Accommodations on a two-week trip. Use the pricey lot but travel coach on your train, or find a way to remove the parking expense and have a roomette. I agree, nothing is for free, but legitimately saving money and exercising options is far from complaining. :)

Many Wal-Marts allow RVs and trucks to park overnight. It's generally a regional or manager decision. Some locations don't have a large enough lot. It's typically the ones in the middle of nowhere with huge lots that will allow overnight parking. I live in a densely populated metro area, and pretty much none of the ones around here allow for overnight parking.
Huh. I suppose this is true in larger cities, but both the lots in Omaha (a mid-sized town) were near the Megabus stop. Perhaps suburban stations would have similar options (the build-out near the stop was very suburbia-like.)

Norman like all other intermediate stops on the Heartland Flyer offers free parking for as long as you need it and it is generally considered to be safe, especially with the County Courthouse right across the street. Though that does create a problem in itself as people going to court often poach the designated Amtrak spots and Norman PD is inconsistent about enforcing that. The station volunteers are good about giving tag numbers of Amtrak customer cars to the police.

Huh. I suppose this is true in larger cities, but both the lots in Omaha (a mid-sized town) were near the Megabus stop. Perhaps suburban stations would have similar options (the build-out near the stop was very suburbia-like.)
Prohibition of overnight parking It is usually the result of local ordinances, rather than a decision of Wal-mart management, At least that is the case in our community.

Some places where Wal Marts are leasing their stores in Shopping center, they don't have any control of allowing trucks or RV's to park. Around here, they have signs, no truck parking, no overnight parking, and there is nothing the store can do about it.

Well, I can say I'll be dodging SAC more often now as I really liked the Davis experience better. Much more infrastructure in terms of businesses and shops to enjoy around the station. The station is more comfortable and quaint. Nowhere nearly as busy. And checked baggage is a breeze, both checking and picking up.

The only possible issue, as pointed out before? Parking is limited during the day due to commuters. So, for those taking LD trips spanning multiple days that leave during peak commute usage, you're SOL in some ways for the free parking. But, there is a parking garage nearby that does charge $4 a day for parking... Still cheaper than the $9 a day Sacramento charges, so its still saving money!

Glad you tried it out and enjoyed it! Just don't take my parking space from me now!! :p

Honestly though, it is a much nicer Downtown area than by the Sacramento Station. And you don't have that 5-15 minute walk to the platform as well!

We're fortunate enough to live only a half-mile from the station, so we usually walk. If we have a lot of bags or the weather is bad, we call a cab. The fare is only $5, but we usually give them $10 since we took time out of their day for such a short fare. We also call a cab at night because the walk from the station to our house is full of panhandlers. (Our house is, literally, "on the other side of the tracks". It amazes me how the per capita income jumps astronomically in the space of four blocks.)

All of the city buses end up at the Amtrak station, as it's their hub, so that is another option. By the time we walk to the stop for the inbound bus, wait for it, and ride it, though, we could have walked to the station. It's really not worth it.

The station used to have a long-term lot across Rose, but they turned it into a park. There is another long-term parking structure across Kalamazoo Ave, but it costs $10/day Mon-Fri and $3/day on Saturday. That's not bad, so I parked there one weekend. Sunday is free, so when I got home on Sunday, they didn't have an attendant on-duty. Since I'd parked there all weekend, I had a ticket from the entry but didn't need to show it or pay when I left. Unintentional cheating, I guess. ;) I was fully prepared to pay $15 to park there, so that was a nice surprise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back