Does adding sleepers increase profitability?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on Amtrak's mission. In my opinion, because Amtrak is publicly financed, their rates should be kept at an accessible level for median Americans. If, however, Amtrak's goal is to be self-sufficient, then sure, they should raise rates as high as the market will support. That said, I personally think that because of Amtrak's current structure (being responsible for more than just operation of routes), self-sufficiency is not the right goal to have.
Therein lies one of the biggest problems of Amtrak. It is charged with becoming self-sufficient and at the same time with providing rail transport to all Americans. They are conflicting goals.

Mind you this isn't something that's unique to Amtrak. This is very typical of the Fed. For example the FAA is charged with both promoting air travel as well as regulating it and ensuring its safety. Again, conflicting goals that often cause the FAA to move to slowly on certain things.

... Mind you this isn't something that's unique to Amtrak. This is very typical of the Fed. For example the FAA is charged with both promoting air travel as well as regulating it and ensuring its safety. Again, conflicting goals that often cause the FAA to move to slowly on certain things.
I would not say that the FAA is charged with promoting air travel. That chore is pretty much left to airlines and the IATA. The FAA is charged with running the ATC system, setting the rules and regulations for aviation safety, and selecting projects for federal grants and research. One can argue how well they do those things, but the record seems to suggest that they do it pretty well. The FAA's function is similar that of the FRA and the FTA.

... Mind you this isn't something that's unique to Amtrak. This is very typical of the Fed. For example the FAA is charged with both promoting air travel as well as regulating it and ensuring its safety. Again, conflicting goals that often cause the FAA to move to slowly on certain things.
I would not say that the FAA is charged with promoting air travel. That chore is pretty much left to airlines and the IATA. The FAA is charged with running the ATC system, setting the rules and regulations for aviation safety, and selecting projects for federal grants and research. One can argue how well they do those things, but the record seems to suggest that they do it pretty well. The FAA's function is similar that of the FRA and the FTA.
The Federal Aviation Administration's major roles include:

• Regulating U.S. commercial space transportation
  • Regulating air navigation facilities' geometry and Flight inspection standards
  • Encouraging and developing civil aeronautics, including new aviation technology
  • Issuing, suspending, or revoking pilot certificates
  • Regulating civil aviation to promote safety, especially through local offices called Flight Standards District Offices
  • Developing and operating a system of air traffic control and navigation for both civil and military aircraft
  • Researching and developing the National Airspace System and civil aeronautics
  • Developing and carrying out programs to control aircraft noise and other environmental effects of civil aviation

Yeah, the first problem with "fixing" Amtrak is that the goal posts keep getting moved around depending on who you're talking to. Some want solvency, which I assume means higher prices and lots of cutbacks. Others expect a permanently subsidized system like our highways enjoy. I'd strongly prefer a funding system more like our highways and a rail network more like Western Europe or Japan. However, I don't know how that is ever going to be possible in our current political environment. We may have the most pro-rail administration in decades, but that's really not saying much.
I think the first problem with "fixing" Amtrak is that people who do nothing but complain (*cough*) turn others away from rail travel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back