Does Amtrak advertise?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Matt

If they want more people to ride which would mean more money coming in (presumably) why don't they advertise? I don't think I have EVER seen an ad for advertisement, whereas I have seen ads for airlines, rental car, Greyhound, etc. Actually they do sort of advertise through MyPoints - they offer 2000 points for booking a trip.

Yes, Amtrak does advertise!

Locally (NY Area), I usually hear Amtrak/Acela advertisements a lot on the radio. There have also been TV commercials in the past, but I haven't seen any lately. Also, Amtrak advertises/advertised the Acela in Shea Stadium (NY Mets), Fenway Park (IIRC), and lately at the MCI Center in Washington DC, I remember seeing the Amtrak logo in recent sports highlights when the Knicks played the Wizards.

I see ads for Amtrak quite often in major newspapers in cities with passenger rail service as well as magazines, particularly those with some focus on travel. I know that the SF Chronicle has them with some regularity. The ads are quite striking actually, with artwork that recalls the classic advertisements that railroads once widely distributed to boost tourism and ridership. The ads also list approximate ticket costs to various destinations, which is good.

I don't recall seeing many TV for Amtrak in recent years. I don't know how long ago the "All Aboard America, All Aboard Amtrak" campaign was, but I don't if television ads are the right way for Amtrak to advertise anyway.

Ohh ok didn't know. Around here there is not really much advertising that I have seen but then again the Zephyr comes through once a day at 4:15AM so I can't imagine it's that popular.

Amtrak averages about 11 passengers per train per day in Lincoln, NE (I think that may be both arrivals and departures). Omaha, with equally undesirable times, has about 30 passengers per train per day.

I really think Amtrak needs to advertise more in the poor college student market, since it could be a cost effective (more enjoyable) trip home from colleges in big and small cities to wherever home may be. I hear and see some advertising down here with the Marlins as well.

battalion51 said:
I really think Amtrak needs to advertise more in the poor college student market, since it could be a cost effective (more enjoyable) trip home from colleges in big and small cities to wherever home may be. I hear and see some advertising down here with the Marlins as well.
It's kinda funny you mentioned this, because for US History today, we were in the computer lab, being shown sites to help choose colleges, and the teachers mentioned Amtrak as a means of travel to visit college and the discount for traveling with parents. While thats a little off topic, I agree with you point, Amtrak needs to market to college students, hopefully some of it will end up being word of mouth like school today.

BerkeleyBear said:
I see ads for Amtrak quite often in major newspapers in cities with passenger rail service as well as magazines, particularly those with some focus on travel. I know that the SF Chronicle has them with some regularity. The ads are quite striking actually, with artwork that recalls the classic advertisements that railroads once widely distributed to boost tourism and ridership. The ads also list approximate ticket costs to various destinations, which is good.
I don't recall seeing many TV for Amtrak in recent years. I don't know how long ago the "All Aboard America, All Aboard Amtrak" campaign was, but I don't if television ads are the right way for Amtrak to advertise anyway.
I was thinking the Chronicle has ads, also they have them on KCBS as well every so often. I believe there are some bilboards in place one was on the Martinez side of the Benicia Bridge and in a couple of other places on 80/680/880.

Mr. Gunn offered some excellent criticism of Amtrak's advertising campaigns. He said that too often the ads talked about the comfort of train travel, but didn't bother to tell where the trains went, when they operated, or how much tickets costs. Mr. Gunn claims that a new approach on advertising is in effect and that it is boosting business in underutilized markets. I sometimes worry that Amtrak will launch a marketing blitz in towns that have inadequate, unstaffed stations. It's counterproductive to catch the public's attention with aggresive advertising, then require passengers to locate a rundown, out-of-the-way Amshack station with no ticket office. A better approach would be to partner with municipalities and chambers, modestly improve the stations, then start an advertising campaign at about the same time that a ticket agent is added at the station. This kind of approach can lead to more meaningful results for Amtrak's investment in underutilized markets.

It's obvious that Amtrak can't advertise everywhere all the time, so anything we advocates can do to help Amtrak could go a long way. If you live in a town with a decent station and decent service, look into raising money to buy some advertising for Amtrak, or look into making a rail travel brochure with trip suggestions that are easy to make from the local station. Too often and especially in rural areas, Amtrak is the best kept secret in town.

Amtrak California runs some pretty heavy advertising on radio stations in the Los Angeles area. I hear them on KFI (640 AM) and on KYSR (98.7 FM) frequently. Lately the ads have been really pushing Pacific Business Class for as little as $9 more. Also I've seen some billboards along highways showing the Pacific Surfliner equipment traveling along the beach. I'm still waiting to see them start up a new service worth advertising for. (West coast Auto train anyone?)

-Firebert

Amtrak advertises heavily in the NEC, where business travel is in direct competition with the shuttles. Generally in the Spring and Fall, Amtrak also advertises long distance trains in the top 10-15 markets nationwide. You will not see television advertising, unless it is something produced locally, since the cost of production is so high and Amtrak cannot afford the frequency necessary in any market to make a difference.

Radio is used heavily in most smaller markets, based on a lower cost and higher exposures and frequency, plus many radio stations are willing to take Amtrak tickets as part of the deal - in place of cash.

Billboard advertising is generally funded/sponsored by the state departments of transportation (where state funding is possible - i.e. CA, WA, OR, IL, etc.) since it also is costly.

Back