Does anyone collect anything Amtrak/Train Related?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewliner

Engineer
I'm curious if anyone collects anything train realted. If so, what? Examples (Tickets, Seat Checks, Model Trains, etc.)

Well, I tend to keep all the schedules that I can get my hands on, although I'd really like to get some of the older ones. I've also saved my ticket stubs from every Amtrak train I've been on, except one from when I was 16.

Finally, I used to collect chocolate chip cookies from the sleepers. Of course they didn't last long once I got home. :D

I'm still working on the cookies!!! :(

The commisary guy lost his job with the new changes and Dobbs is handling the work. The problem is that here in Miami, it's hard to find cheap help that speaks english. Since I don't speak spanish, I'm dealing with a language barrier! :blink:

I tried to sign to him with my hands, but I think between making the circle with my hands and putting my hand to my mouth, all I got was a smile!!! :blink:

I think he thinks I'm asking him out on a date!! :eek:

B)

I collect HO scale models of present day Amtrak equipment which inlcudes:

Complete Acela Express Trainset (my pride and joy)

2 P-40 - Phase IV

2 P-42 - Phase IV

3 AEM-7 - 1 Phase IV, 2 Acela

1 F-40 - MBTA

1 SW-7 Switcher - Silver and Black

2 Amfleet I Coaches - Phase IV

1 Amfleet I Cafe - Phase IV

4 Amfleet II Coaches - Phase IV

1 Amfleet II Lounge - Phase IV

1 Heritage Diner - Phase IV

1 Heritage Sleeper - Phase IV

1 Heritage Full Dome Lounge - Phase III

1 Heritage Baggage - Phase IV

1 Heritage Converted Coach Baggage - Phase IV

4 Viewliner Sleepers - Phase IV

1 Superliner II Transition Sleeper - (All Superliner Phase IV)

1 Superliner II Sleeper

1 Superliner II Deluxe Sleeper

1 Superliner II Dining Car

1 Superliner II Lounge Car

2 Superliner II Coaches

1 Superliner I Coach-Baggage

1 Superliner I Coach-Smoker

1 Superliner I Coach

1 Superliner I Auto Train Lounge

1 Horizon Dinette - Phase IV

4 Horizon Commuter Coaches - MBTA

1 Horizon Commuter Cab - MBTA

3 MHC - Phase IV

3 Express Cars - Phase IV

Well I think that about covers it. I started my collection in late 1998 and this list is up to the present time. Unfortunetly I only have a small 4x8 layout which has a double track mainline, engine facility, Amtrak station, and a town center with a Burger King, Shell Gas Station, Exxon Gas Station, HoJo Resteruant, and a Citi Bank. Of to the side I have a 2x4 staging yard/maintance facility in which I store as much rolling stock as I can, the rest ends up in boxes.

I do have a few Amtrak paper items. Capitol Limited route guide and

schedule, a few ticket stubs, an Amtrak calender, and a painting of the Twilight Shoreliner and an Acela Regional crossing the Hell Gate bridge. I have a few others, but I can't remember them iff the top of my head. :)

Alan, I too collect schedules, in fact I'd like to get a copy of the 5/1/71 Timetable, and I think I know where I can get one. I also have most of the ticket stubs from my trips on Amtrak.

Joe, tell me what exactly you want to say to him and I'll try to translate it to spanish for you.

I also collect model (mainly Amtrak) trains, and (Amtrak and NJ Transit) seat checks. In fact if anyone is interested, I can tell you a way you can get them for free.

I'm curious, does anyone keep track of (certain kinds of) cars they've ridden, seen, or have been on their train? I'd like to know because I keep track of the Viewliners on Excel.

I do, its part of my routine. First the Main Amtrak Site, NJ Transit, Trains.com, Trainweb, eBAY, and the best for last, here. I know a website where I can get it for 20.00, but its my secret, because I want one for myself, and don't want them to run out of it. Its the same site I got Pasenger Train Journal March 1988 from. It'll be a while, because I just got a Metroliner Service Lounge, and Amfleet Coach off of eBAY.

I collect pins. My Amtrak pin collection is a paltry 2 a Capitol Corridor and a Coast Starlight. I have several LIRR and NYC Transit related pins which all look nice on my bulletin board. Recently I aquired an HO Scale Amtrak California painted F59PHI which sits on my desk on a plaque with a small piece of track on it.

Employee timetables. I got them for most of Amtrak's route from Chicago to the west coast, plus a few others. They are great for helping me keep tabs on the train's progress.

Oh :eek: I almost forgot I have Microsofts Train Simulator. The defaults on that program were really crapy but I've gained quite a large collection from downloading various routes and equipment. However it's not the real thing and it gets boring after 10-20 minutes of playing.

Amfleet said:
Oh :eek: I almost forgot I have Microsofts Train Simulator. The defaults on that program were really crapy but I've gained quite a large collection from downloading various routes and equipment. However it's not the real thing and it gets boring after 10-20 minutes of playing.
I agree, with even the original flight simulator you can fly between various Aiports in the world. Yet with Microsoft Train Simulator I can't go to New York, let alone Boston. Hopefully the next version can have a larger national route and equipment pool for Amtrak. Even a software update would help.

Well you would need quite a large computer to get all 20,000 miles of Amtrak route on it. Right now I know someone is redoing the Northeast Corridor from WAS to PHL to make it more realisitc. Then after that's done someone will take the route from PHL to NYC. Here are the Amtrak routes I currently have:

Northeast Corridor - Philadelphia to Washington

Marias Pass - Whitefish to Shelby

Raton Pass - Las Vegas (NM) to forget where

Florida Funnel - Jacksonville to 10 mile north of Georgia border

Florida A-Line - Sanford to Tampa

I have various types of equipment:

Acela Express

HHP-8

P-32

P-40

P-42

E-60

F-40

Amfleet Coach

Superliner

Some various baggage and express cars

I hae actualy counted the number of rairoad books, magazines, timetables I have and it is about 1,000. This includes every issue of TRAINS since it began in 1940, many timetables, menus, a few plates, silverware, syrup bottles(, napkins, alL labeled by train or at least by railroad, or by Amtrak of course),ticket stubs,, etc, etc. I live ina small apartment and the railroad theme sort of dominates the place. I never gotten seriously into the model train bit--I would not really have the room, besides riding the real thing is expensive enough wihtout investing in all that....though I could probably get very interested very quickly if I gave it a chance.

Am I allowed to brag....just a little more.....about some of my goodies? I have several thick Railroad Guides from various periods, mostly the 50's...I have a few reproduced timetables from like the late 1800's. I have some nice paintings, including, for example, the pre-Amtrak California Zephyr. I have a pullman company soap and an Amtrak soap--they stay in my bathroom, deliberately unopened. One of my prized possissons is an old pullman towel, which my grandmother collected going to Chicago for the Railroad Exhibiiton in the early 1900's.Guess that gives you a pretty good idea of what my little apartment looks like.

Sure...just let me know. I would not know how to "post it" or anything, but I could fax it or mail it or attempt to summarize it or whatever.I go home at 5:30 so let me know before then if you want me to tell you anything about it tomorrow.

I have models, some are my hubbys. My collection is N scale, they mostly sits on the shelf. I have ATSF F7 & F7b with freight, 2 Superliners in modern markings, Kato track...costs alot but it's the best. My hubby's collection includes a UP Centennial and a BN F45.

THen there's the hundreds of photos, most of mine are digital though.

I just like being on and around trains and collect whatever I find cool.

the best article is Chris Lloyd's autograph to my son on a Amtrak cloth napkin. Thats a whole story in itself!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back