Does sleeper mean Business Class connection?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just booked the family bedroom for the four of us for next July from JXN to PDX. Since the reward is theoretically 1st class for the entire journey, does this mean Business Class for the first leg, JXN - CHI? I seem to remember someone stating that it does, but my AGR agent said it would cost extra. Is this the common practice? Is there anyway to purchase an upgrade with cash? This won't be a deal breaker, but the next booking will be LAX - JXN and Business Class would be greatly appreciated at that point in the trip. Thanks in advance for any insights.

I just booked the family bedroom for the four of us for next July from JXN to PDX. Since the reward is theoretically 1st class for the entire journey, does this mean Business Class for the first leg, JXN - CHI? I seem to remember someone stating that it does, but my AGR agent said it would cost extra. Is this the common practice? Is there anyway to purchase an upgrade with cash? This won't be a deal breaker, but the next booking will be LAX - JXN and Business Class would be greatly appreciated at that point in the trip. Thanks in advance for any insights.
Yes it does but many times you have to gently remind the issuing agent; many just print out coach tix.Unless the policy has recently changed you are entitled to biz class on the legs you don't have a sleeper. The only hang up I can see is that it has to be all AGR points.Have a great trip and enjoy your biz class tix. :rolleyes:

I concur with Jay, unless there has been a very recent change, BC is always included in a sleeper award. You are paying for the highest class of service available when you book a sleeper award. It's not your fault that Amtrak doesn't provide a sleeper for that portion of your journey.

Try a different agent and remember that they are all new, so you may have to escalate to supervisor.

If that still fails, then consider heading over to Flyertalk and making this issue known to AGR Insider.

Last week I contacted the new Amtrak Guest Rewards phone center - and I booked ASD (Ashland, VA) to DEN and we received BC from ASD to Alexandria, VA (connect to Cardinal - Roomette). It was a two zone Roomette Award. She was a new Amtrak Rewards representative. So they are aware, just need to ask. I also had to ask to be routed on the Cardinal (westbound), her system seemed to direct us to Washington, DC to connect with the westbound Capital Limited. I was very relieved to book on the Cardinal (westbound). Worst case, I was prepared to get on in Alexandria (Cardinal Route) or even Charlottesville, but we really wanted to ride the entire Cardinal route through VA.

So Ashland to Alexandria is in Business class. Also on our return (Capital Limited) we change trains in DC to Business Class - down to Ashland, VA. Again, a two zone Roomette Award (Wolf Point, MT to ASD)

Back