Does the NEC have assigned seating?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No assigned seating on the NEC. It's first come, first served.

Occasionally you might find certain seats blocked off for families or groups of 3 or 4.

It is puzzling to me, in these days of intense computerization, that Amtrak is not able to assign exact seats, whether in coach or next level above.(known by various names) .

Funny thing, back in the ice ages before Amtrak, the private railroads really did assign you an exact space, i.e. car 5, seat 20, at the time you made your reservation. Exactly as is still the case with sleeping car space.

Now, back then not nearly as many trains (percentage wise) had reserved seats, but those on that did, you really got an exact space. as part of your ticket. I have many a stub to prove it.

The fewer trains( percenrtage wise) that had reserved seats was still a lot more trains in number than Amtrak operates today. And they made as many or more stops back then as they do today.

And I really am talking about a manual system. Of course I must say that there were a lot more mistakes under the manual system, both coach and sleeper than today,---double bookings, etc.

I am not sure when Amtrak began computerizing reservations(thank God they did) but it was ahead of the airlines.

And, oh yes, I am talking about coach as well l as "business class" or "Club", etc, such things as used to be called parlour car.

The whole manual reservation system was so combersome. For example, if you were taking a complicated trip around the country, it could be two weeks before one station wired to another and you got your space ocnfirmed. Today it takes minutes...........all the more reason it seems like they could assign an exact seat. Maybe it has to do with substitute cars not having the same seats or whether equipment woudl be available. But they had those same problems in the past, and it even involved cooperation beteen competing railroads at times, not all one loyal company as it is today.

Amtrak is certainly able to assign seats (if they can assign a sleeper room, they can assign a coach seat). But, why would they want to?

Given Amtrak's equipment situation, there are far more drawbacks than advantages to assigning exact seats. What if a coach line is blanked? Then everybody sold space in that coach would have to be given new seat assignments. The same situation would apply if a car with a different seating capacity/arrangement was operated compared to what was programmed to operate on that train.

The biggest drawback, however, is dealing with seat turnover. If seat 15 is sold between WAS and NYP, and seat 16 is sold between NYP and BOS, then Amtrak can't sell either of those seats to a through WAS-BOS passenger, even though a seat will be empty for the entire trip. It's not reasonable to expect a passenger to move (unless he/she wants to) to another seat halfway through the trip. Plus, with all of the multi-ride tickets Amtrak sells in various corridors, how would you assign seats to them?

Considering the level of ridership on the NEC (and on long-distance trains, for that matter, but the NEC in particular due to the extremely high ridership and short distance between stops), it would be awfully difficult for conductors to enforce seat assignments on top of everything else they have to keep busy with.

In fact, from what I understand, when Acela Express was introduced, its first-class service had assigned seating, but it was quickly dropped.

Good points, Robert. And guess what....while you were typing your response I was adding to mine. If you jump back to mine you will see my last sentence or two was sort of an acknowledgement of the problems you were mentioning., esp. as to equipment switchouts(which were a lot more drastic then than now). You had coaches with 44 seats, 48 seats, 52, 56, 60, 72, etc all over the place.

So how about this--I would be kind of pleased if they say, left the coaches alone, for the reasons you mention , but at least give us a definate seat in business class, club class, etc?

I think that might work. But then, you said you thought they did that in Acela first class when it was first introduced and then dropped it---not sure about that. Does anybody know? After all they make quite a thing over advertising "reserved seats".-in that type of "first class" equipment. It seems kind of bad that those of us in that class still have to rush for that favorite seats just like the coach passengers.

Last time I was on a regional train (July 4th weekend) they had oversold it and there were people seated in the cafe and standing in the aisle. If they assigned seats, they couldn't overfill the train so much. Granted, this was a busy weekend, but I've seen similar things on other regional trains during less busy weekends.

Bill Haithcoat said:
I think that might work. But then, you said you thought they did that in Acela first class when it was first introduced and then dropped it---not sure about that. Does anybody know? After all they make quite a thing over advertising "reserved seats".-in that type of "first class" equipment. It seems kind of bad that those of us in that class still have to rush for that favorite seats just like the coach passengers.
They did indeed assign First Class seats early on when Acela was first launched. I was even able to actually select my seat from the on line site on several of my journeys. It was part of a test program that would have eventually lead to assigning seats even in Business Class on the Acela. In fact the train was even built with special equipment to work with this project.

On a normal rail car there is a rail above a seat where the conductor places the seat check, the Acela's have none. Instead above every seat in both first and business class there is an electronic device with lights that shows the row and seat number. Had the project been successful, when the conductor took your ticket, instead of punching it like they do today, he would have scanned the ticket into a PDA like device.

That would have caused the light above your seat to light, indicating that someone was sitting there to other passengers and telling the conductor that he had already collected that ticket. The light would automatically go out when the train reached the passengers destination.

The idea was that this made life easier for everyone, it indicated that the ticket had been collected, it indicated that the seat was occupied, it allowed stations further up the track to sell the seats of no shows, and it was supposed to cut out the chaff that one finds on the floor of a typical train from all of those punched tickets and seat checks.

The test program in First Class failed for several reasons, only some of which can be blamed on Amtrak. Reason one, Amtrak as usual ran out of money to finish the project. So the software if it still exists is full of bugs that never got worked out, because they had to stop paying for the R & D on the software.

Reason two, the conductors and their union balked at the ticketing devices. This was before PDA's really came into their own, so the device that Amtrak had was rather large and bulky. Carrying one around for several hours would have been a bit of a chore and I can't blame them on this concern. The conductors were of course also worried that this would cause a reduction in the number of jobs available, so they fought it for that reason too.

Reason three, the First Class passengers balked at assigned seating. There were some, like me who liked the idea, but many others who were used to just picking any seat that they wanted on the Metroliners, refused to seat in there assigned seats. And I do mean refused, I saw several passengers tell and attendant that they were not going to move to their assigned seat.

Some attendants early on tried to enforce the assigned seating, but many others fearing the loss of their tips didn't even bother to try. Most conductors also didn't seem to care, probably because they wanted the project to fail because of the reasons I mentioned above. The one time that I did see a conductor enforce the assigned seats, he actually had to threaten kicking one man off the train, before the guy would move to his assigned seat.

So after maybe four or five months of assigned seating in First Class and with the equipment not yet ready for use, and the lack of funding the project was abandoned or at least put on a very distant back burner. Today of course with the advances in software and the size of the PDA, this is an idea that probably should be resurrected and brought to fruition. However, with Amtrak many other far more important needs for the limited funding that they have, I doubt that we will see this projected getting dusted off and implemented.

Interesting, all the fierce objection by the passengers to assigned seats. I would never have thought of that. Don't remember any such trouble at all back then.

But as I mentioned in my earlier post, it was not all the trains that had actual reserved seats, just some of them.

I point of fact, the trains (talking about l pre-Amtrak now) which ran just from NY to WAS or Boston to NY and or WAS did not have genuine reserved coach seats. Parlor, yes.

So I guess there really is NOT a tradition from the past about reserved seats for the same customers who in later years would be using the Acelas. At least so far as coach goes, that is.

For NY to WAS trains with reserved coach seats, that would be primarily the streamliners to Florida, New Orleans, Atlanta, etc. Incidentally, the policy has not been consistent through the years about whether local(i.e. WAS, Philly,,NY, etc) passengers could travel on those trains.

In some cases they could. In which case, if somebody boarded, say a Silver train in Baltimore to go to Newark, they would indeed, in that case get assigned an actual seat at time of purchase.

But of course most people rode the short haul trains, so no problem. .

I'm going to throw in my two cents here. I was actually discussing this very issue with a Conductor turned Engineer last week. We both feel like with the technology out there it is possible for the upgrades to be made to do a multitude of things. Every P-42 (and probably electric as well) has a Qualcomm Satellite Communication system installed. In theory this system should be able to be upgraded so that computer systems can be installed on board.

Each Conductor should be issued a laptop and PDA. Using these two tools they can collect tickets, do on board upgrades, pull reservations for unticketed passengers, submit delay reports, manage authorizations (DOB's, Dispatcher Bulletins, DTC Blocks, Track Warrants, etc.), and view statistics on the train (where people are, where they are going, etc.).

Train attendants can also have a PDA to assign seats, find people on board based on destination, seat, etc. A seat check can be printed with a bar code linking it to the reservation. Dining Car staff can use it to electronically enter orders, track orders, and create bills, as well as revenue reporting information.

Engineers could use the system to manage authorities, dispatcher bulletins, and electronically recieve DTC blocks or track warrants without having to talk to the dispatcher.

It's all possible gentlemen. In the end it would be more cost effective since there wouldn't be a need for the pouch counters in San Antonio, RRB in Philly can view upgrades as they happen as well as the associated revenue, comissaries can check in trains and food a lot faster since the paperwork would already be in their hand before the train arrives. The technology is there, it's just whether Amtrak chooses to apply it.

The big problem with all that is that the technology requires up front money, something that Amtrak doesn't have. Yes in the long run it would probably pay for itself, but someone's gotta take the bite and get Amtrak the money to do it.

Even with much of that technology in place, I suspect that some of what you mentioned will still not happen. In order for Amtrak engineers and conductors to get track warrent info and such, you'd have to get the freight RR's to install the same or similar technology so that they can transmit the needed info to the Amtrak train.

The freight RR's aren't going to spend a dime to make Amtrak's life easier, unless Congress via Amtrak pays for it. They already won't install PTC on most tracks, even though they themselves would benefit from it big time.

Much of the other stuff mentioned, ticket wise, food wise and so on however could still happen if the funding is there. Alas, it's not. :(

Back