Doing the CZ thing. Need hotel help

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chucklehead

Train Attendant
I 'm going to taking the CZ for Chicago to Emeryville. I need info on the best and most afforable

places to stay near those stations. I did a bit of searching on the forum 1st but it looks like the info on hotels

for those 2 stations are a bit out of date by a few years.

Any help you can give me would be great!

clif.

Chicago HI Hostel, its at 24 E Congress Parkway. Bout 9 block walk from CUS or a $5.00 cab ride if your lazy or have lots of luggage. I'm a HI member and it only cost me $33 for one night there. Its a HOSTEL so if your not open-minded or freaky about roomin' in a dorm room with strangers, well please quit reading this. They also have a very good free continental breakfast the next morning. I have stayed in 4 hostels in the US and this is the best one by leaps and bounds. If you choose this hostel and if you choose to imbibe in there continental breakfast, you will need to wash the dishes you used at breakfast when you are finished. You don't get "cheap" rates like this and then have attendents named Serge' filling your water glass, bring you a new fork every 5 minutes etc and so forth. :lol: You can also check there ratings at hostelsdotkom or go spend $150 a night at the Travelodge a block away and see the continual one star rating they get from trippadvisordotcom. If you think I'm a 20 year old backpacking, potsmoking, eco-friendly, hippie type with dreadlocks, well your wrong....justa 44 year old working class guy that hates to pay $150 a night to friggen sleep. They also have loads of discounts on Chicago landmarks such as Sears Tower, Hancock Building etc. When I got off the #6 in April, I made it to the hostel and 30 minutes later I was with a tour guide (who was free) going out to eat with 20 people from the hostel from Sweden, France, Australia, UK, Canada and the US for pizza at Giradino's. The tour guide was informative and fun and I met some people that I enjoyed there company and then went and did my own thing. Buddy Guys Legends Blues Club was just a couple of blocks away as well. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
When thinking San Francisco, remember that Amtrak has buses to several places in San Francisco from Emeryville. Also, there is the thought of staying a night in Sacramento and then take one of the many Capital Corridor trains to the Bay Area the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back