Double points on Cascades, 7/17-8/31. Good only on Tuesday-Thursday,

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ispolkom

Engineer
I just got e-mail for a double points promotion on Cascades trains, valid 7/17-8/31. I don't know if it's targeted, but I don't see anything on the AGR Web site yet.

From the confirmation e-mail: "Earn double points on qualifying Amtrak Cascades travel from July 17, 2013 12:00:00am CT through August 31, 2013 11:59:59pm CT. Valid on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday departures only. Valid for train/bus numbers: 500, 501, 504, 506, 507, 508, 509, 510, 513, 516, 517, 5501, 5505, 5508, 5513, 5516, 5528, 5548, 5549, 5599, 5600, 5609."

Sadly, while I'll be riding the Cascades trains next month, it will be on Sunday and Monday, so no extra points for me.

Maybe it's just my OCD, but isn't it odd that the time zone used in the T&C is Central Time, not Pacific?

Last edited by a moderator:
The conditions of this double points offer are more limited than in the past. I don't recall this applying to double points deals in the past or maybe I missed the details.

Anyway, I'm traveling on train 513 tomorrow from SEA-PDX which I booked back in March so I lucked out on this promo :)

I got the e-mail too, it isn't targeted but the Amtrak Website has been using your current ISP to trigger regional content. I've noticed this traveling, when I was out west in California traveling I was getting Amtrak California related content, now that I'm back in New York its mostly Northeast Regional and other Northeast Corridor related content. Their website has been doing this for awhile now. When I lived in Colorado it would keep bringing up stuff on the Empire Builder (the Zephyr and Chief seem to get less marketing) that I always found funny since there no regional corridors to promote.

Not being in the Northwest it won't help me, the date restrictions are clearly trying to up ridership and the days with less of it.

Ispolkom, being in St. Paul could be the reason you don't see anything.

winterskigirl, in Seattle are you getting anything about the promotion on AGR.com? Just curious about this regionalization of Amtrak websites.

SubwayNut - I got an email this morning from AGR. When I joined AGR last year I also signed up for promotional alerts but I hadn't thought about the regional targeting. It makes sense though. I never see promos on the NEC for example.

The conditions of this double points offer are more limited than in the past. I don't recall this applying to double points deals in the past or maybe I missed the details.
IIRC Double points promos in the past have rarely been in effect at all during July and August, so even just 4 days a week is better than

nothing.

Why no bus 5577?
Bus 5577 operates on Fri/Sun only. The promotion is only valid Tue-Thu and Saturday. So it's not that 5577 is

being specifically excluded, it's more a function of the double points promotion being targeted for specific days.

Back