Double TQPs 2021

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EDIT: Figured it out, $242 was for 2 people so the posting is correct for my ticket only.

I was curious if someone could check my TQP math. I thought it was fairly straightforward given the examples on the AGR website, but the points posted different than I expected.

My ticket was $242 on Acela First Class, and I am Select (so 25% status bonus).

Here's my expectation, based on Amtrak's examples and the double TQP promotion:

484 - base earning of 242, * 2 for 2 TQPs per $1 spent
242 - 50% Acela First Class bonus
60 - 25% Select bonus on base

786 - Total TQPs
* 2 - Double TQPs bonus
1,572 - Total for Travel

Here's what Amtrak posted:

242 - base earning
60 - 25% Select bonus
121 - 50% Acela First Class bonus
423 - 2x TQP 2021 bonus

It seems pretty clear to me the base 2 TQPs per dollar is missing, but maybe I am wrong?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the 10% off coupons are also included in the welcome kit? They are not loaded in my account and I tried emailing Amtrak, but after an entire week they replied only saying call their customer service number.

I have 1,216 TQPs to reach Select Plus. I have the AGR World card so I may get points from that for purchases but don't have the patience anymore to go through my purchases and make sure I'm getting the correct points. I paid $392 for two round-trip tickets for me and my SO, so will we each get 392 TQP points each or will I get 792? I'm trying to see if I can make Select Plus after reaching Select for the first time 😊 and trying to figure out the easiest/cheapest way to do this, maybe with cheap BC tickets on a Regional through central CT or the LSL through MA.

Paging @neroden for their expertise :)

I have 1,216 TQPs to reach Select Plus. I have the AGR World card so I may get points from that for purchases but don't have the patience anymore to go through my purchases and make sure I'm getting the correct points. I paid $392 for two round-trip tickets for me and my SO, so will we each get 392 TQP points each or will I get 792? I'm trying to see if I can make Select Plus after reaching Select for the first time 😊 and trying to figure out the easiest/cheapest way to do this, maybe with cheap BC tickets on a Regional through central CT or the LSL through MA.

Paging @neroden for their expertise :)
With two people on the reservation, the AGR TQP points for travel will go to each person's AGR account. If one person has no account, no points will be awarded to that person for travel and the other person does not get the points. Caveat: sleeper accommodation points go to the primary on the reservation.

The non-TQP points awarded for AGR credit card purchase of the tickets go to the cardholder irrespective of who is traveling.

For simplicity's sake, say you purchase a reservation for 2 at $100 each using your AGR Mastercard. The other person traveling does not have an AGR account:

Purchase:
$200 * 3 Amtrak purchase bonus = 600 non-TQP points to you

Travel
$100 for your ticket * 2 normal point award * 2 double point bonus = 400 TQP points
$100 for companion ticket gets 0 points, not AGR member.

Bottom line, you get 1000 points, 400 of which are TQPs.

In your specific case, you should get 1196 non-TQP points (392 * 3) for the purchase, posting after the billing cycle in which you purchased them.

You should get 784 TQP points (196 * 4) for travel, posting sometime after your ticket is scanned.

Last edited:
Ah, thank you! I forgot that you earn 2 TQPs per dollar regularly, and then multiply that by 2 for 2021. In the past, I haven't worried about status because the cost is high for little benefit. But, if I'm already most of the way there, no reason not to go for it.

Ah, thank you! I forgot that you earn 2 TQPs per dollar regularly, and then multiply that by 2 for 2021. In the past, I haven't worried about status because the cost is high for little benefit. But, if I'm already most of the way there, no reason not to go for it.
Same here. I didn’t care about status, but Amtrak gave me Select for 2021 when I was close at the end of 2020. With the double TQPs this year I’m now close to Select Plus. I have one more short round trip to take at the end of the year for a doctor’s appt. But I might take a joy ride next week just to reduce the # needed a bit more just to ensure I hit 10,000. And what the heck - train time (and maybe see some fall foliage)

You should get 784 TQP points (196 * 4) for travel, posting sometime after your ticket is scanned.
An AGR agent assured me that this is correct for achieving status, but points going into one's AGR account are not doubled. In this case, daybeers would get 784 TQP toward status (which was the question) but 392 (rather than 784) points that can be redeemed for travel.

Of course, the above calculations assume the tickets are in the same bucket so the fare is split fifty-fifty. I encountered a situation where the fare was not fifty-fifty, and that threw a monkey wrench into the arithmetic.

Back