Downeaster Equipment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobWeaver

Lead Service Attendant
Hi all -

I'm toying with taking a trip to Boston in March with a friend of mine over our spring break. We'd be flying out of Greensboro, NC (GSO) into Portsmouth, NH (PSM) via Skybus (hooray $10 fares!) and then take a taxi over to Durham, NH and catch the Downeaster service into Boston. Just a minor detail, but does the Downeaster carry Amfleet Is or IIs? I'd think they'd carry Amfleet Is because of the short distance of the train.

The Downeaster is all Amfleet I's. I would highly recommend upgrading to Business Class though, as you'll have a far more comfortable ride in the Club-Dinette car with 2 & 1 faux leather seating.

The Downeaster is all Amfleet I's. I would highly recommend upgrading to Business Class though, as you'll have a far more comfortable ride in the Club-Dinette car with 2 & 1 faux leather seating.
Ok, then it's like the setup on the Palmetto. I would upgrade, but with the ride being only about 1h 20m, I think I'd just stay with coach. Plus, my friend doesn't like to spend money that he doesn't have to. ;)

Bob, the Downeaster is relatively cheap (compared to the NEC), as is the upgrade to BC ... so it won't set you back too far for whatever small amenities you will be able to partake of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, then it's like the setup on the Palmetto. I would upgrade, but with the ride being only about 1h 20m, I think I'd just stay with coach. Plus, my friend doesn't like to spend money that he doesn't have to. ;)
Alan was right about upgrading. You will save the extra fare in free beverages in the business car. Be sure to ride on the east side leaving North Station of whatever car you finally decide on. You'll find that this train is a lot different than most others. And I mean in a very positive way. If you have any AGR point it's only 1500 for a business class ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back