Downeaster January Sale

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TCRT

Lead Service Attendant
I didn't see this mentioned anywhere yet (and my apologies if I am wrong about that), so I thought I'd share this.

AGR notified me that the fares from Boston to Portland on the Downeaster will be $10 each way all through January to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the start of service in December of 2001. That's about 50% off the regular price for that trip.

I guess I'll be going to Maine next month....

Yeah I am going to ride it on Jan 14 and 16 - can't beat that price, and it's a great ride - I usually do bus from Portland to BOS then onward from there on train - for this trip I am gonna go in style!

OK here's the catch: not all trains are eligible. The one I wanted (692) was NOT - so make sure to check...

I'll be doing a same day joyride BON-POR-BON on the 15th.

Amsnag does not work, but after going through the special discount page and accepting the regular bucketed fare it offers the discount if available, so it may take a lot of mouse-clicking. Only some trains are eligible as Maine Rider posted and the wording indicates capacity controls. I suppose Sundays will sell out of the $10 fares quickly.

I'm also doing a same-day joyride. It's a nice trip if for those that haven't made it before. Totally worth $20 R/T, plus you can try out E-ticketing. It doesn't hurt that the Downeaster has what is probably the best cafe menu of any train in the entire system.

Yeah it is a great ride - I am going to do it anyway, POR-BON, BOS-NLC, Ferry to LI on Jan 14, then the reverse on 1-16 except no Downeaster then, schedules don't match up nearly as well for me as the bus to POR.

Thanks for reminding me about that Cafe, will do early lunch there maybe!

Any mention if BC upgrades are allowed??? Not like I care but just for kicks.. I'm sure no but ya never know as that does seem to be an "experimental" train.. :cool:

BC upgrades do not work with the promotional fare.

I have never been to Portland. It looks like on Google maps that the Amtrak station is not really conveniently located...like on the other side of I285 and about a mile from downtown. What would be the interesting NON-TOURISTY part of town for a visitor with a few hours (or possibly overnight) layover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back