Driving vs the Amtrak Autotrain Costs

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally off topic... but I'm curious.

I see a LOT of Ontario tags every day on I-95 here in Savannah. How many Canuks ride the AT to Skip I-95 if even for just about half of their drive?

Hmmm... Never mind about Ontarians...they wouldn't benefit. How about Quebecians?

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the Auto Train and the good Lord willing will never drive I-95 to and fro again. The cost difference is minimal when taking the all factors into consideration including the risk of having an accident while driving. Years ago when we were driving I-95 we saw accidents almost every trip and sometimes several. I'll say it again...I love the AT and will pay a premium to use it!

I presented my cost figures when I started this post and some will agree with them and others won't. It is also my opinion that the cost factor of driving vs AutoTrain is minimal but there will always be a difference of opinion on that point. The convenience of traveling while enjoying wine/cheese, dinner, watching a movie (or DVD) reading, sleeping, showering and arriving in Florida with no driving fatigue is the real reason that we take it. The food is actually very good. Its a nice trip and we enjoy it. We've taken it four times before ( always in a bedroom) and we expect to take it again. Occasionally we will take the train going and drive home but when we do this we stop to see the sights many times along the way. Last year we stopped in Savannah, Ashville NC Gatlingbrug TN and Staunton VA before arriving home

Still say that for folks on a budget and/or for those that can sleep in their reclining coach chair; those special $169.00 A/T AAA fares that they run from time to time are a heck of a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back