Dumb questions about how to take the train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So my son will be taking the train from Albany west to Rochester. (The 281 Empire Service.) He wants to buy a business class seat because he is VERY tall and he thinks it will give him more room (?).

Anyway, when he goes to board the train, how does he know where the business class seats are?

Also, what does he do with his suitcase?

(Hey - I warned you these were dumb questions!!! LOL)

THANKS!

Last edited by a moderator:
So my son will be taking the train from Albany west to Rochester. (The 281 Empire Service.) He wants to buy a business class seat because he is VERY tall and he thinks it will give him more room (?).
Anyway, when he goes to board the train, how does he know where the business class seats are?

Also, what does he do with his suitcase?

(Hey - I warned you these were dumb questions!!! LOL)

THANKS!
In my opinion, upgrading to business class on Empire Service trains is a good value -- it's usually pretty cheap ($10-20) and very comfortable. Business class on this train will typically look like this, with comfortable leather seats in the 2-1 configuration. Non-alcoholic beverages are included. There should be enough room in the overhead for a reasonable-sized suitcase. The business class car will be clearly marked outside the door like this: http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakpix/paintschemes/21947A.jpg It's almost always either the first or the last car in the train -- your son can clarify that at the ticket counter. In any case, it's never a problem to just board in any car and walk through the train to business class. The conductor will be happy to point the way.

Thank you Darien!

Do you think he needs to buy this ticket in advance (he wants to travel this Friday, the 17th at 1:00 in the afternoon)? I have no feel for how busy this train might be.

Thank you Darien!
Do you think he needs to buy this ticket in advance (he wants to travel this Friday, the 17th at 1:00 in the afternoon)? I have no feel for how busy this train might be.
Yes, absolutely, buy the ticket in advance. Amtrak operates on a bucket system, so the more seats sell on a particular train, the more expensive the remaining tickets will be. For example, the lowest bucket price for a coach ticket Albany - Rochester is $38, but it's already up to $55 for the particular train that you're looking at, and will probably go up even higher closer to departure. Besides, it's very common for business class to sell out, and sometimes the whole train sells out! Amtrak is getting more and more popular these days.

The best way to buy a buy a ticket in advance is on Amtrak.com. If your plans change, you can cancel them online and get a full refund up to one hour prior to the train's departure.

Forgot to mention -- when buying tickets on Amtrak.com, always select the "pick up tickets at station" option. It's a lot easier to make changes or cancel your reservation this way. Once the tickets are printed, there is a 10% cancellation penalty. The tickets can be picked up at the ticket counter or Quik-Trak machines: all you need is the reservation number.

Forgot to mention -- when buying tickets on Amtrak.com, always select the "pick up tickets at station" option. It's a lot easier to make changes or cancel your reservation this way. Once the tickets are printed, there is a 10% cancellation penalty. The tickets can be picked up at the ticket counter or Quik-Trak machines: all you need is the reservation number.
You don't even need that. For the Quik-Trak machines, dipping the credit card used to make the reservation is sufficient. And I'm pretty sure I've just given my name and showed a drivers license and credit card to pick up tickets from a station agent.

You don't even need that. For the Quik-Trak machines, dipping the credit card used to make the reservation is sufficient. And I'm pretty sure I've just given my name and showed a drivers license and credit card to pick up tickets from a station agent.
For first timers its a good thing, but make sure you actually have a station to go to! I dunno how things are on the Empire Service, but there's still a ton of stations which are bus stops next to freight lines!

For first timers its a good thing, but make sure you actually have a station to go to! I dunno how things are on the Empire Service, but there's still a ton of stations which are bus stops next to freight lines!
Both Albany-Rensselaer and Rochester have Amtrak Stations! Click on the location names for photos!

Both Albany-Rensselaer and Rochester have Amtrak Stations! Click on the location names for photos!
Didn't know the stations... :unsure:

Didn't know the stations... :unsure:
HUH? :huh:

On review I think I figured out what you mean't! The stations were mentioned in the original post #1

If one prints out the reservation confirmation, there will be a bar code on the page. Just hold that bar code under the Quik-Trak machine's scanner. That will immediately call up the reservation and all you have to do is hit "print tickets" on the screen. Couldn't be simpler.

And the agent most likely won't know where the Business Class car is on the train. Especially if it's busy, they don't like to look up that info. But the agent at the gate should know and will usually tell you, and if they don't the uniformed conductor on the platform will know. And that's in addition to the signs on the side of the car.

I got a better deal for your son. Much better. Instead of 281, take either 63, the Maple Leaf leaving Albany at 10:00 AM, Rochester at 2:03, or 49, the Lake Shore Limited, leaving Albany at 7:05 PM, and arriving at Rochester at 11PM. I'm doing the latter for my cousin's college graduation, and I'm doing it in sleeper, planning on sleeping from New York City to Rochester, and riding the red-eyed dog to Geneva.

Anyway, the reason is that both of those trains offer Amfleet II coach cars, compared to the Amfleet I's in use on other trains on that corridor. Amfleet Is are short distance cars, designed for local service and local runs. They have smaller seat pitch, less restroom facilities, and two sets of vestibule doors.

The Amfleet IIs are a modification of the design to attempt to make a more long-distance oriented car. While they are not as comfortable as the old Heritage coaches, they offer a single set of vestibule doors, larger windows, practically about half again as much seat pitch, larger rest rooms, leg rests, and foot rests.

abr25090seats2.jpg

Your son may have some problems with those seats, but legroom won't be one of them. Trust me. They are fairly comfortable. I have spent nights sleeping in them.

Green Maned Lion,

I'd have to disagree with you here -- IMO, business class on Empire Service trains is much more comfortable than coach on Maple Leaf and Lakeshore Limited. The seats are wider, there's more legroom, and 2-1 seating means that you probably won't have anyone next to you. Plus, there are free beverages, of course. Definitely worth the $19 upgrade ALB-ROC.

One problem with Maple Leaf is that, in my experience, it's usually filled to the gills -- you're virtually guaranteed to be sitting next to someone in coach (if you can find a seat), and business class is often sold out weeks in advance. Lakeshore Limited often has the same problem, plus almost guaranteed lateness on top of that.

Once again, Thanks everybody! He's taking the 1:00 because he's getting a ride from Worcester to Albany with a friend and they'll be there around noon. He's excited about taking the train, he normally takes icky Greyhound because it's quite a bit faster (and cheaper) from Worcester than if he took the train the whole way.

I too would book a BC seat in a club-dinette car long before I'd book a seat in an Amfleet II car. Those faux-leather seats are far more comforatble than any AMF II is. While they've received new cushions since, these cars were the former First Class cars on Amtrak's Metroliner service. So these seats were designed to provide maximum comfort for those premium paying passengers.

I too would book a BC seat in a club-dinette car long before I'd book a seat in an Amfleet II car. Those faux-leather seats are far more comforatble than any AMF II is. While they've received new cushions since, these cars were the former First Class cars on Amtrak's Metroliner service. So these seats were designed to provide maximum comfort for those premium paying passengers.
If its the same as it is on the Pennsylvanian, I'd date the BC too. Amfleet II's are nice, but there's comfort, and a more private atmosphere.

How does a BC seat in a club-dinette compare to a seat in a Viewliner in its daytime configuration?

How does a BC seat in a club-dinette compare to a seat in a Viewliner in its daytime configuration?
It doesn't. The Viewliner that is. Viewliner's are nice, but they don't recline (at least easily and nicely) and they don't have foot rests or calf rests. The BC seats in a Club-Dinette have all of that.

That's not to suggest that being in a Viewliner room is uncomfortable. It's not. You have privacy and you can stretch out and manuver to get comfortable.

Boy...what some people will do for PR! The Marx Construction Company (who built the station) claims, on their website, that the new Albany station is the first new railroad station built in the U.S. since WW II. I don't have to go far to show them that the building plate on New Orleans Union Passenger terminal says 1954; I'm sure there are many other stations that were built after the war. Anybody have any additions?

Boy...what some people will do for PR! The Marx Construction Company (who built the station) claims, on their website, that the new Albany station is the first new railroad station built in the U.S. since WW II. I don't have to go far to show them that the building plate on New Orleans Union Passenger terminal says 1954; I'm sure there are many other stations that were built after the war. Anybody have any additions?
Your "what some people will do" is a little extreme!

You may very well be right that the statement is incorrect, but if you tried to find evidence that there hasn't been another station built since WWII you could be misled as I was when I first looked and found the following web page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Railway_stations_by_year_of_establishment

My first reaction when I looked at the Wikipedia page is that the Marx company is correct because each year listed has (0) indicated as having newly established stations. Now if I just accepted that at it's face I would have gone ahead and made the statement that Marx made. However, taking a closer look I did find discrepancies.

First thing noticed is that all years both pre and post WWII had (0) so I looked a little further. In doing so I did find a few newly established stations in the US within the few years I checked. Then... another problem arose; I couldn't determine that the stations I found were actually newly built. A newly built status was not indicated on any I found but rebuilt or remodeled status' were. i.e. St. Louis - 2004. So I therefore determined that there is no creditable evidence that the pre WWII statement was incorrect.

Now further research could be engaged in, but at this point I found little reason to waste my time researching any further and if it were me I too would have gone ahead with the Marx statement on their web site.

Once again I want to emphasize that I am not saying you're wrong, just a little extreme on your opening statement!

You may very well be right that the statement is incorrect, but if you tried to find evidence that there hasn't been another station built since WWII you could be misled as I was when I first looked and found the following web page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Railway_stations_by_year_of_establishment

My first reaction when I looked at the Wikipedia page is that the Marx company is correct because each year listed has (0) indicated as having newly established stations. Now if I just accepted that at it's face I would have gone ahead and made the statement that Marx made. However, taking a closer look I did find discrepancies.

First thing noticed is that all years both pre and post WWII had (0) so I looked a little further. In doing so I did find a few newly established stations in the US within the few years I checked. Then... another problem arose; I couldn't determine that the stations I found were actually newly built. A newly built status was not indicated on any I found but rebuilt or remodeled status' were. i.e. St. Louis - 2004. So I therefore determined that there is no creditable evidence that the pre WWII statement was incorrect.

Now further research could be engaged in, but at this point I found little reason to waste my time researching any further and if it were me I too would have gone ahead with the Marx statement on their web site.

Once again I want to emphasize that I am not saying you're wrong, just a little extreme on your opening statement!
Well maybe just a little BUT...the Marx Company also claims, on their same web site, to have built the fourth track in Albany. Last I heard the DOT just granted a million dollars for that to take place. Maybe that's why I jumped on their horse's back so quickly. Maybe Marx was a little hasty in their claim to fame. The Albany station is a beautiful station. I will give credit where it is well deserved but I would think that anyone who is PR'ing a major company would do a little more research than just clicking on one web site.

Well maybe just a little BUT...the Marx Company also claims, on their same web site, to have built the fourth track in Albany. Last I heard the DOT just granted a million dollars for that to take place. Maybe that's why I jumped on their horse's back so quickly. Maybe Marx was a little hasty in their claim to fame. The Albany station is a beautiful station. I will give credit where it is well deserved but I would think that anyone who is PR'ing a major company would do a little more research than just clicking on one web site.
There are currently four tracks in Rensselaer; not Albany BTW! The Albany/Rensselaer station is physically in Rensselaer across the Hudson River from Albany. The four tracks are 3 platform rails and the fourth track is on the west side of the platform tracks. So technically Marx was correct in that statement.

It appears that the DOT grant, which BTW is a quarter of a million more that you noted, is actually to extend the platforms and to add a 5th overall rail. There is currently space to add that 5th rail on the first platform's side nearest to the station. So that could explain why DOT referred to the future rail as the 4th rail... the 4th platform rail!

There are currently four tracks in Rensselaer; not Albany BTW! The Albany/Rensselaer station is physically in Rensselaer across the Hudson River from Albany. The four tracks are 3 platform rails and the fourth track is on the west side of the platform tracks. So technically Marx was correct in that statement.

It appears that the DOT grant, which BTW is a quarter of a million more that you noted, is actually to extend the platforms and to add a 5th overall rail. There is currently space to add that 5th rail on the first platform's side nearest to the station. So that could explain why DOT referred to the future rail as the 4th rail... the 4th platform rail!
I SURRENDER !!! What's a quarter of a million when Washington is talking in terms of trillions?

I SURRENDER !!! What's a quarter of a million when Washington is talking in terms of trillions?
Change from your McDonald's Meal Deal? Don't laugh; it could happen! And if it ever does happen, they will surely have long done away with the slogan "You deserve a break today!" :p

BTW, your surrender is accepted but... don't expect two million yearly to restore you infrastructure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back