dumb zone question!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.J.

Service Attendant
I have been reading a lot of old posts about zones, but I am very close to the 35,000 needed for a 3 zone roomette and I just want to be super clear on what I can do! So I'm turning to you, the experts!

If I want to go from Albany-Rensselaer, NY (ALB) to Emeryville, CA (EMY), would the 3 zone cover both the roomette on the LSL *and* the Zephyr?

I apologize for the dumb question! Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Yes, it covers both trains, and it's the same charge regardless of whether there are one or two passengers.

Remember that AGR only cares about zones, not trains. Another routing Amtrak gives is Albany-Chicago-Los Angeles-Bakersfield-Emeryville. That would almost certainly also be a two-zone award, even though it's three trains and a bus.

Remember that AGR only cares about zones, not trains. Another routing Amtrak gives is Albany-Chicago-Los Angeles-Bakersfield-Emeryville. That would almost certainly also be a two-zone award, even though it's three trains and a bus.
How would it be a two zone? Wouldn't Albany to Emeryville always be three zone irrespective of which itinerary one chooses?

ok, so here's a question. if I put ALB-EMY into amtrak.com and it comes up with an option of ALB-CHI-LAX-EMY, thus adding the CS, would that still be three zones as well? this is way too complicated. :p

Yes, ALB - EMY via the SWC and then the CS would still be three zones, because you are starting int he east, moving through the central, and then ending in the western zone.

So yes, even though you have a whole extra train, it would be the same amount of points of taking the CZ from CHI to EMY.

How would it be a two zone? Wouldn't Albany to Emeryville always be three zone irrespective of which itinerary one chooses?
Of course it would be. My editing mistake. Mea maxima culpa.

Back