E-mail from Amtrak regarding sleeper prices

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakmichigan

Lead Service Attendant
In the post that about 3,000,000 of us :lol: posted our outrage about taking our meals away in 1st class, I mentioned in one of those post that I would e-mail Amtrak with my concern. I also stated that I would post Amtrak's response to this e-mail if and when they did. I received an e-mail today from Amtrak, however the person didn't answer the question directly about the actual concern. Here is a copy of my e-mail posted below for your information:

Thank you for your email.

Amtrak has made changes in amenities available in our sleeping cars.

Our First Class passengers are extremely important to us and they have not

been receiving the same levels of service on all of our routes. In order to

eliminate the inconsistencies, we have developed new national standards for

First Class amenities, which involved modifying some and upgrading still

more.

Last year, we worked to improve our food service. We are now providing more

choices and better quality. Presently, we are in the process of upgrading

our amenities in the sleepers. Over the next several weeks, we are

replacing the current linens with better blankets and more plush towels. We

are contracting with a new newspaper distributor to ensure delivery to the

trains. We will also ensure that "in room" meal service is consistently

offered. The changes will be communicated to our customers on a card to be

placed in each room. While we are no longer offering limitless soda and

setting hours for coffee and juices, bottled water will be available.

Sleeping car attendants will be directed to provide additional bottles at

the request of passengers.

Once again, thank you for contacting us and for your comments for

improvements of our services. We hope that the above information addresses

the actual changes we have made.

Sincerely,

Carolyn A. Gilmore

Customer Relations Advisor

Just regarding some of the changes. When I was on the Silver Meteor, the matresses did seem to be newer, but were much firmer. They seemed to be made out of a foam product that would repel liquids (most likely for small children who may wet the bed). The sheets seemed clean, but the pink blankets were a little worn. It also looks like each room is only being provided with two pillows. So that means each bunk (passenger) will only have one pillow. There used to be four pillows per room, but I'm not sure why there was a cut back? I happen to use two pillows, so if I were traveling with another person there would be a problem. As for the towels. They were a little rough and worn around the edges.

Yes, the sodas were taken away, but I saved my self a few (hundred) calories by not drinking endless cans of Pepsi. I did buy a can of Pepsi in the Lounge, but other than that the only time I drank soda was a lunch and dinner (and I did myself a favor by drinking diet). My car attendant did have juice for the morning, but kept fresh coffee brewing all day and made sure there was bottled water avalible to every passenger. Along with the free meals, the money paid was all worth while and no one else seemed to complain.

I'm curious about "in room" meal service. Is this offered to every sleeper passenger or only those who are physically handicapped or in some other way unable to get to the dining car?

Guest said:
I'm curious about "in room" meal service. Is this offered to every sleeper passenger or only those who are physically handicapped or in some other way unable to get to the dining car?
In my opinion, if you can walk, you should definitely eat in the Dining Car. Those who need in-room service (like physically handicaped or the elderly) should get full attention by the attendant. It's hard enough for the attendant trying to get meals into one room, let alone 2 or 3 rooms. So leave the in-room service to those who really need it if at all possilbe. Though, the service is avalible to anyone with in a sleeper. If you do have meals brought to your room I would tip your attendant $2-5 per meal (less if it's just one passenger, more if there are two passengers) in addition to the $5-10 at the end of the trip.

Could you go to the diner and pick it up and bring it back to your sleeper?

Guest said:
I have seen this done - the diner has to-go plastic containers with clear hinged lids.

No, the dining car staff will only let the train attendants take food to go from the diner.

jccollins said:
No, the dining car staff will only let the train attendants take food to go from the diner.
well, ok, you can't go pick up the whole tray with china and silverware unless you're an attendant, but if you wanted dessert in your room or something, they will stick it in a container for you... :)

Amfleet said:
Guest said:
I'm curious about "in room" meal service.  Is this offered to every sleeper passenger or only those who are physically handicapped or in some other way unable to get to the dining car?
In my opinion, if you can walk, you should definitely eat in the Dining Car. Those who need in-room service (like physically handicaped or the elderly) should get full attention by the attendant. It's hard enough for the attendant trying to get meals into one room, let alone 2 or 3 rooms. So leave the in-room service to those who really need it if at all possilbe. Though, the service is avalible to anyone with in a sleeper. If you do have meals brought to your room I would tip your attendant $2-5 per meal (less if it's just one passenger, more if there are two passengers) in addition to the $5-10 at the end of the trip.
I certainly understand where Amfleet is coming from and by and large agree. However, having a meal served in your room can be a nice treat. I would suggest using it very judiciously and very sparingly........try to have a sense of just how busy the attendant really is, will there be long station stops in the middle of your dinner (which would be a problem as he/she needs to be busy with that) .....if you are kind of travel saavy you mght "pick your moment", when it would not be to much of a hardship. Also, have a handle on whether there are some people in the car who really do need it more than you.

If a person is making a very long trip, maybe two weeks, maybe many meals on the train you might think about having it served in your room the last night out or something like that, with the common common sense(and common decency) stipulations I cited above.

The first time I experienced meals in my room was very legitimately while traveling with my invalid mother. I saw how neat it could be......then one trip not long after that the car attendant actually asked me if I wanted to be served in my room and I said, "ok, sure". So I have had it done a time or two since, but being careful it was not too much of an imposition, that there were not a lot of people who genuinely needed it, etc, etc. It can add to ones travel experience.

If a person has never ridden a train before, and it is a now or never situation, just going to get one meal I would under no circumstances advise them(if well) to be served in their room. The experience of eating in the diner is by far the superior experience. The thing about being served in your room is just that it is sort of nice for a change if you have done the other many, many times.

And, yes, do tip very well.

Guest said:
If you want the food served on normal plates, with silverware, then only the attendant can get food from the diner for you.

However anyone can go and order take-out food from the diner, even coach passengers. You will get plasticware, styrofoam, and such, but otherwise the food would be the same as if you had gone and sat at a table. I've seen it done and even had a friend who sat in coach, go and get a lunch from the diner.

jccollins said:
Like Anthony said only the train attendants can take the China from the Diner. They have a full stock of plastic containers and styrofoam plates to make meals for those who wish to have their food to go. Whenever I pay for my meals in the Diner these days I always get my food to go. I prefer to eat in the lounge with the Conductor(s), and besides which you get your food faster. :lol: I also prefer not to pay for the drinks (I'll either drink a bottle of my own water or a bottle of non-rev Pepsi). So yes you can get your meals to go if that's how you prefer to fly (so to speak). As far as in room meals go, I think it should be limited to elderly passengers and for those celebrating a special ocassion. I know on a couple of ocassions we have had newlyweds or people celebrating a big Anniversary (50 seems to ring a bell), so the attendant brought their Dinner to their room. That to me is an acceptable reason to eat in your room. :lol:

Just to add to what you guys said, if its a family with say small children who are either sleeping or the parents feel would disturb the rest of us in the Diner is another acceptable excuse, at least in my opinion.

That's a good reason. There's nothing more that I can't stand then parents who won't control a child in public. One time (when Conductors and Engineers could still eat in the Diner) the Conductor had to tell a parent to restrain their child because he couldn't hear his radio, and when he tried to talk he was blurred out by the screaming child. I hate bad parents. :angry: <_<

Yeah, if the conductor can't hear the radio, thats pretty much a safety hazard. I'm not saying they should be forced to eat into their rooms, but there's nothing worse than having a screaming child (or the occasional adult :lol: ) ruin a good mealtime conversation.

Anthony said:
jccollins said:
well, ok, you can't go pick up the whole tray with china and silverware unless you're an attendant, but if you wanted dessert in your room or something, they will stick it in a container for you... :)
Acutally, I believe there is a policy that no china or silverware can leave the Dining Car even if it is by an attendant. I've never seen an attendant bring meals to a passenger on china. It's always with foam and plastic. I'm guessing that the Dining Car was loosing to many forks and spoons, which was costing Amtrak in the long run. Also, as an attendant I don't think I would want to carry a tray full of china, bouncing around at 80mph. ;)

Amfleet said:
Anthony said:
jccollins said:
Acutally, I believe there is a policy that no china or silverware can leave the Dining Car even if it is by an attendant. I've never seen an attendant bring meals to a passenger on china. It's always with foam and plastic. I'm guessing that the Dining Car was loosing to many forks and spoons, which was costing Amtrak in the long run. Also, as an attendant I don't think I would want to carry a tray full of china, bouncing around at 80mph. ;)
Hmm, they used to. Of course... the last time I had dinner in my room was probably 1998. :unsure:

The take-out with plastic cutlery, etc. would not be a problem for me. Having the option to take it back to my compartment or even into the lounge as battalion says he does is great to have. I wouldn't need it brought to my room by an attendant but I like the opportunity to eat a meal (that I've already paid for, anyway) in my room if I want to.

How does this actually work? Do you go to the diner, be seated, order as usual, and say it's to go? Or, do you tell the attendant before you're even seated that you want it to go and then order and wait without being seated?

battalion51 said:
jccollins said:
Like Anthony said only the train attendants can take the China from the Diner. They have a full stock of plastic containers and styrofoam plates to make meals for those who wish to have their food to go. Whenever I pay for my meals in the Diner these days I always get my food to go. I prefer to eat in the lounge with the Conductor(s), and besides which you get your food faster. :lol: I also prefer not to pay for the drinks (I'll either drink a bottle of my own water or a bottle of non-rev Pepsi). So yes you can get your meals to go if that's how you prefer to fly (so to speak). As far as in room meals go, I think it should be limited to elderly passengers and for those celebrating a special ocassion. I know on a couple of ocassions we have had newlyweds or people celebrating a big Anniversary (50 seems to ring a bell), so the attendant brought their Dinner to their room. That to me is an acceptable reason to eat in your room. :lol:
Maybe this is some kind of east vs. west coast thing? ;)

I can tell you for a fact that on the California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, and Texas Eagle *NO* china or metal silverware is to leave the dining car (this includes steak knives) by anyone, including the attendants. Meals "to go" are only available to the coach or sleeper attendants, and then only on plastic/styrofoam.

After boarding the WB Sunset Limited at 6:30am in Maricopa, AZ about a month ago (7 hours late) I tried to order breakfast from the dining car steward for my disabled grandma seated in lower level coach since she could not make it up the stairs to the diner. I was told that only the coach attendants could take food to go out of the diner and I would need to go through them. Unfortunately our coach attendants were asleep (the conductor said they were up all night due to the train being so late and had went right to bed after boarding us in Maricopa) and explained the entire dining car process to me very clearly and how it works. He walked up to the diner with me and finally got the steward to agree to let me take breakfast back to my grandma since our attendants were asleep. Believe me, it was a big deal and a huge inconvenience.

I went through a similar experience on the Starlight when we could not find our coach attendant and the conductor was not quite as nice to help out. Needless to say no food from the diner that day. Same response from the dining car steward: only attendants can take food to go from the diner.

I verified this policy with other stewards on the California Zephyr and was told I could not order food to go from the diner to bring back to my sleeper; the attendant had to place the order and take the food out.

Or, do you tell the attendant before you're even seated that you want it to go and then order and wait without being seated?

You do it this way.

But remember---it is a lot more fun to eat in the dining car. That is one of travel's neatest experiences.

My best guess is that there might be an FDA regulation saying only employees can bring food out of the Diner, my best guess. Then again Amtrak has so many FDA violations its really not even funny.

battalion51 said:
My best guess is that there might be an FDA regulation saying only employees can bring food out of the Diner, my best guess. Then again Amtrak has so many FDA violations its really not even funny.
From what I've heard they're pretty tight with Amtrak. I guess they even sometimes get surprise checks by the FDA en route if I'm correct? Well, atleast I know my food is being prepared in a clean kitchen free of bugs and rats. Wish I could say the same for my local Friday's restaurant.

Let's just put it this way, Condemned food is being put in the same freezer as a freezer with revenue food. By FDA regulation they must be in seperate freezers, but there's not enough space for that. Also, no outside food is supposed to be consumed in the Lounge or Diner, though that is rarely enforced in the lounge.

But you notice that Amtrak still didn't answer amtrakmichigan's question about charging for meals? All they had to do is say "no." Instead they dodged. So you draw your own conclusion.

I thought the Amtrak letter was fairly clear on the point that the meal service is still included in the cost of the room. I called Amtrak today to ask about that very matter and I was told that meals are included in the sleeper price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back