EB 28 dining car out of PDX?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gregoryla

Service Attendant
I'm taking the Empire Builder next Monday from Portland to Chicago. Is there a dining car when the train leaves Portland? With departure at 4:45 pm, dinner should be soon after departure.

I'm taking the Empire Builder next Monday from Portland to Chicago. Is there a dining car when the train leaves Portland? With departure at 4:45 pm, dinner should be soon after departure.
There's no dining car on the Portland section of the Empire Builder, only the Sightseer Lounge. If you're in sleeper you'll get a choice of cold dinners after Vancouver. They're really pretty good. I especially like the roast beef. I think bedrooms get first choice, then roomettes, but maybe that's just the way the SCA we've had does it.

If you're in coach, you have the choice usually available in the lounge car.

The Portland section of the Empire Builder does not have a dining car. Sleeping car passengers out of Portland are served a cold meal (and a pretty good one) from the lounge car. The meal should be offered shortly after leaving Portland. Coach passengers out of Portland have access to the lounge car food.

Once the Portland and Seattle sections join at Spokane, the dining car from Seattle is used the rest of the way to Chicago.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will receive a cold box dinner from your SCA, usually a choice of beef/sea food/or some pasta/salad type stuff. For a box dinner it is usually pretty darn good. The diner is on the Seattle Section (#8), they join in SPK in the middle of the night so breakfast will be your first meal in the diner. Remember you will be on the end of the train so its a fairly long but nice walk to/from the Sightseer Lounge and the diner. On the return the PDX section (#27) has box breakfast on the way from SPK to PDX, I havent had it, some like it, some dont. If a CCC is ever placed on the PDX Section of the EB then full meals can be served on this route. The plan is to move the Sightseer to the SEA section when, if ever, this happens! Nice trip, enjoy it! And remember the PDX First Class lounge is a good one, nice agents and good snacks! :) Jim

The sleeper cold plate was very good, mine was a cold chicken lunch style box! The boxed meal was attractive and presented well. The lounge food is always what it is, lounge food until the train combines in Spokane. The boxed meal is also available in the lounge for $9.00. Coach passengers have the lounge food at a price. As mentioned, breakfast the next day is the first meal in the Dining Car

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back