EB late for connection to CL Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

C&O RR

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Since the EB to CL connection is now once again guaranteed, but misses the connection more than 50% of the time, my questions are:

What happens when EB is not going arrive in time to make CL's departure?

--If not that late do they bus you from some stop along EB's route, if so, which stop?

--If very late I assume you are put up in a hotel in CHI and re-booked for the next day on the CL?

Last edited by a moderator:
If they're able to, they'll probably first try and rebook you on the LSL. If they can't do that, then you'll probably be rebooked on the next day's train.

There's no real good way to bypass Chicago or save time versus a bus after about Fargo or so, and so a bustituton if the tracks are open is very unlikely.

Usually guaranteed connections are those that are allowed by the Amtrak computer generated schedules. If the computer does not guarantee the connection then it will not show up as a possibility on a point to point trip.

Ex. A trip from CLE to ORL will now not be permitted on the Silver Star out of Washington, but will be allowed on the Silver Meteor. If you choose to book the Star as a separate connecting train, you are on your own if the CL is very late.

I've seem them board Amtrak CS people @ a Wisconsin stop like La Crosse or Wisconsin Dells and have those making connections in CHI come to the Diner where they would provide info on what the arrangements are in CHI, ie Bustitution, Later Train ( CL,LSL), Overnight on Amtrak's Dime with Rebooking etc.

It depends on the number of people they need to serve, if the EB ( and other Western Trains!)is really late they'll do it in the CS Lounge/Office in Union Station. First Come First Served!

Chances are you'll get rebooked on the LSL if missing the CL( probably in Coach!) If there are no rooms and you get downgraded to Coach, you are SOL and on your own if you turn down their arrangements!

Last edited by a moderator:
LSL will not work for me since I am going to RVR. (SEA to RVR)

I guess I need to change to CZ since it only misses CL 20% of the time but it adds an extra day to the trip.

In June we missed both the CL and the LSL connections. Amtrak put us up overnight in Milwaukee. The next day we took a Hiawatha to Chicago to connect with the next days CL. The EB was almost twelve hours late getting into Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back