EB Mess - 2

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And, on the other hand, so far, the #7 that I catch tomorrow in Spokane is having incredible luck. It's last status was that it departed Fargo 22 minutes down and is scheduled to arrive in Minot on time. And, no, I'm not staying up all night just to feed my obsession with the status maps. :lol: I'm at work and on my break.
i dunno, JayPea, the last few times we have taken the eb west from spk we have been able to get up at our regular time, have breakfast and take a leisurely drive to the station. with an on time train you are going to have to get up early!

And, on the other hand, so far, the #7 that I catch tomorrow in Spokane is having incredible luck. It's last status was that it departed Fargo 22 minutes down and is scheduled to arrive in Minot on time. And, no, I'm not staying up all night just to feed my obsession with the status maps. :lol: I'm at work and on my break.
i dunno, JayPea, the last few times we have taken the eb west from spk we have been able to get up at our regular time, have breakfast and take a leisurely drive to the station. with an on time train you are going to have to get up early!
Yeah, I was looking forward to it being late enough that I wouldn't have to take the drive north in the dead of night. I may have to now!

Judging from our experience from CHI to SEA and back in the last two weeks, I cannot recommend taking the Empire Builder until additional tracks are added to handle the high capacity of the huge amount of oil trains. A six hour lateness into SEA and a 12 hour lateness into CUS is unacceptable. It added a full day to the trip and caused a missed event yesterday.

The Bakken oil boom in North Dakota is expected to possibly last as long as 100 years!!! We may see the Keystone pipeline along the way but regardless, extra rail capacity will still be needed. Unfortunately, Amtrak is not going to win out against big oil money and Warren Buffets BNSF route.

I, yesterday, waiting at SPUD - realized that --

Most of waiting passengers know what's going on (or not, on the BNSF) in ND. A few are clueless.

The EB was the el primo train here. Not now. Maybe next year. Or not.

Hoping it gets better... but that will take a while.

Meanwhile, it's the only train in town.

Same here. It's the only train in town. In Spokane, which has no light rail and no.prospects of any light rail any time soon it's especially true. I keep reminding myself of the days of the Starlate and Sunset Limited and how they were routinely 12-14 hours or more late. And how those messes have seemed to have cleaned themselves up. I hold out optimism in time that the EB will do the same.

Judging from our experience from CHI to SEA and back in the last two weeks, I cannot recommend taking the Empire Builder until additional tracks are added to handle the high capacity of the huge amount of oil trains. A six hour lateness into SEA and a 12 hour lateness into CUS is unacceptable. It added a full day to the trip and caused a missed event yesterday.

The Bakken oil boom in North Dakota is expected to possibly last as long as 100 years!!!
It's going to be over within 10 years. Exuberant claims like 100 years come from oilmen with a bad case of wishful thinking. Fracked fields run out really, really fast. 10 years is still long enough to cause a lot of trouble, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Bakken oil boom in North Dakota is expected to possibly last as long as 100 years!!!
It's going to be over within 10 years. Exuberant claims like 100 years come from oilmen with a bad case of wishful thinking. Fracked fields run out really, really fast. 10 years is still long enough to cause a lot of trouble, though.
It will be over one way or another. If the fields play out, there will be a crash, and oil shipments by rail will cease. If the price of oil drops, ditto, since fracking is expensive. If the field is as productive as some people claim, pipelines will be built to ship the oil, and rail can't compete with pipelines on price or safety, so oil shipments dry up that way, too.

BNSF is making hay while the sun shines, at the minimum of investment they can manage. It looks like they gauged the minimum a little lower than they ought to have.

I'm taking the Empire Builder west in a week. Given it's late arrival, I guess that Mrs. Ispolkom and I will have a chance to check out the new Bedlam Theatre, across the street from SPUD, while waiting for a late #7. I have fond memories of their old place in the Cedar Avenue neighborhood (now a mosque), but I've heard that the new staff isn't quite ready for primetime.

Again, I quote the USGS --the energy folks have only drilled 10% of the potential wells in ND and MT as of May 2014. Their estimate is that the Bakken will be a major energy player for 70 years with today's technology MINIMUM. Let's do the math: Current output is 1 million BBLS/day from the Bakken. The latest API estimate of recoverable oil and equivalent (natural gas inc) (again using today's technology) is 1.2 TRILLION BBLS of oil in the entire Bakken structure (not all is fully recoverable at this time, but much, much more so than just a few years ago). Yes, some of this is in Canada to be sure, but just looking at MT and ND his estimate of 70 years seems reasonable and logical.

You need to distinguish between hydraulic fracturing of old wells to obtain what remains in those and the drilling and fracturing of a new structure and well complex. There is a significant difference. Ask any geologist or energy person.

;-)

Anyone know if there was anything out of the ordinary today to cause #8, now in MN to be 15 hours late? Or is it just the usual delays we have all been seeing?

Again, I quote the USGS --the energy folks have only drilled 10% of the potential wells in ND and MT as of May 2014.
Sure, they can drill more wells -- you can always drill holes in the ground -- but they aren't going to find great masses of oil.

Their estimate is that the Bakken will be a major energy player for 70 years with today's technology MINIMUM. Let's do the math: Current output is 1 million BBLS/day from the Bakken. The latest API estimate of recoverable oil and equivalent (natural gas inc) (again using today's technology) is 1.2 TRILLION BBLS of oil in the entire Bakken structure (not all is fully recoverable at this time, but much, much more so than just a few years ago).
Again, I strongly suspect this is a gross overestimate. Every single newly-fracked-field estimate for shale has been a gross overestimate for decades now. They follow a completely different dropoff pattern from conventional fields -- you get most of the oil and nearly all the gas upfront, and then they drop off *sharply*.

Some of the USGS internal reports seem to have adjusted for that; but has this report done so? Because the oil companies really hated it when the first honest report came out (pointing out that there was next-to-nothing in the Utica and Marcellus Shale), and I wouldn't be surprised if the USGS backed off and stopped giving honest reports, since there's a lot of regulatory capture these days.

That line about "equivalents" is particularly suspicious, and has proven wrong repeatedly: the fracked natural gas fields always run low in 10 years. The liquids last somewhat longer usually.

70 years is a complete fantasy. The gushers in Wyoming lasted 70 years; that was conventional oil. There is no way in hell that a fracked shale field, which has a far sharper dropoff curve, will last that long.

...of course, as lspolkom points out, the pricing might get them first. There are some *really* big trends happening in energy. The electricity market is about to cross the threshold where solar power is cheaper than anything else, including natural gas, coal, and oil; it already has crossed the threshold in several states and countries. The heating market will cross the threshold where it is cheaper to heat with electricity than gas soon after that (it's already cheaper than heating with oil), definitely within the next 10 years. Due to battery pricing dropping at a somewhat slower rate than solar pricing, the transportation market will take slightly longer to cross the threshold where electric autos are more cost-effective than gasoline autos, but it's going to be crossed fairly soon nonetheless -- my guess is within 20 years. At that point it's over; the other uses for oil are niche, in volume terms, and can be satisfied by old Saudi fields.

The economics: Renewable energy prices -- still falling -- will put a cap on retail prices for fossil fuels, though there will be several bounces in price (for both) due to supply constraints on solar panels. The oil prices will continue to cycle between high (supply-constrained, destroys demand permanently as people switch) and low (demand-constrained, causes cancellation of investment in exploration and new wells). This won't destroy the oil business entirely -- after all, Saudi Arabia's still got a lot of "easy" oil which doesn't require new wells at all -- but it will destroy the exploration business.

We are waaaaaaaaay off topic now. Be careful. In the 30+ years of following the energy business closely, both here and when we lived back east (and my undergraduate work in petroleum engineering) I beg to differ with your conclusions. I guess we will both have to check back in around 2084 to see who was right!! :))))

btw--The end of the era of "easy" Saudi oil is on the horizon. The proverbial light at the end of the tunnel for the wealthy sheiks--and it is indeed an oncoming freight train. The revelation that the Saudi Oil Minister had to admit they could not make up a significant portion of the potential loss of Iraqi oil last week (in both the short and long term) sent the price of Brent Crude up to the highest price in well over a year.

Meanwhile poor #8 today is now over 15 hours late and won't likely arrive into CHI until late tomorrow morning--bummer.

:))

Well, you guys better hope that cheap oil ends soon. If it doesn't. the climate change catastrophe will only be worse. Sadly, I worked in this field for a living for 35 years, made a lot of new science discoveries, none of which have had any effect, that I can see, on the current global death spiral.

But yes, we're way off topic.

I guess.

The revelation that the Saudi Oil Minister had to admit they could not make up a significant portion of the potential loss of Iraqi oil last week (in both the short and long term) sent the price of Brent Crude up to the highest price in well over a year.
Oh, so the Saudis have been lying about reserves, as some suspected. Very interesting...

....nope, I just checked and I can't find your reference. All I can see is the Saudi oil minister saying he likes a tight oil market and high prices, and so *chooses* not to make up for Iraqi oil.... big difference...

Back on topic.......................... I just saw 8 leave GFK at a little after 4am right BEHIND a Z-train. They are chugging along at 40mph. They will be sitting at a siding in Grandin for a while and likely spend some quality time at the Harwood siding waiting for a slot into Fargo...according to scanner reports. Seems to be the same story every day.

Honestly at this point I'm more worried about the CP dispatching. BNSF is clearly double-tracking as fast as they think they can, and that will alleviate the problems eventually. CP.... is deliberately running trains longer than their sidings and obstructing traffic within a mile of St. Paul Union Depot...

Nice pic Jeff, guess you're getting to see your neck of the woods in daylight instead of snoozing away the miles! Did you still get to the SPK Station early?? LOL

Keep us posted!

That may be the best performing #7 this week into SEA/PDX. The one behind you is already 5+ hours late and hasn't even made it thru all of the slow areas yet. Meanwhile #8 in MN is well over 9 hours behind.

I've wanted to take the EB for a while now (I'm 19 and just started taking Amtrak last summer). Should I even bother until the OT performance improves? Any trip I would take would involve connections, which I would almost be guaranteed to miss, with how late the EB is running these days.

While it is a great ride-I take it 8-10 times a year for mostly business travel-with the current mess on the Hi-Line, unless you are willing to plan on adding an extra day of travel by staying overnight at either CHI or SEA/PDX to your schedule I would suggest you wait until BNSF and CPR get their act together. There is only one train Amtrak is offering as a connection now, the Lake Shore Limited. But even that one is iffy, given the current track record.

PS--There are other fun rides on some of the other LD trains. You may want to look at those possibilities!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back