Effect of Hurricane/Tropical Storm Hilary on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wise for Amtrak to get equipment out of harm's way. As well as passengers. Too many locations with potential to strand passengers that cannot be rescued.

More trains being canceled for tomorrow:
  • Trains 562, 573, 580, 591 will be cancelled
  • Train 794 will be cancelled between Los Angeles and San Diego
  • Train 761 will be cancelled between San Diego and Los Angeles
  • The LOSSAN Agency will provide mutual aid to COASTER and Metrolink passengers by allowing them to ride any Pacific Surfliner train on Sunday, August 20.
I would not expect this to be the end of the story.

Edit: 3(19) terminated at ABQ which will become 4(20). 11(19) terminated at EMY and will become 14(20). 1(19) completely canceled, and I'm not sure how that will affect 2(21).

Last edited:
MODERATOR'S NOTE: A number of posts generally discussing Hurricanes/Tropical Storms with no specific bearing on Amtrak have been moved to a new thread in the Lounge:

https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/hurricane-tropical-storm-hilary-general-discussion.85873/
Please use this new thread to discuss Hurricanes, Tropical Storms and Hilary in general. Specific effects on passenger rail service that Hilary has, in the way of service suspension/modification etc. should continue in this old thread.

Thanks for your understanding, cooperation and participation.

While I was in the upper deck at Angel Stadium on Saturday evening, I saw a northbound Surfliner that was two complete consists coupled together (complete with a locomotive in the middle) - I assumed they were specifically trying to get equipment out of San Diego. I couldn't tell if both halves of the train were available for passengers, or if they were only using half.

I’m on train 3. We’re operating into LAX (albeit with a 6+ hour delay that’s unrelated to the weather) this morning.

The delay and cancellations have caused a bit of havoc for connecting pax, though - seems like they’re not going to bustitute.
Let us know how it all came out when you've made it to where you're going, Braniff. Be safe.

Let us know how it all came out when you've made it to where you're going, Braniff. Be safe.
Thanks! Arrived safe and sound to LAX, 7 hours and 21 minutes behind schedule (due to, inter alia, overheating of the no. 2 engine, a borrowed BN loco to remediate that issue, and signal problems).

I will say that I've lived in LA my entire life and I've never seen the LA River like I saw it this afternoon from the train. It was raging.

Should note that it was an interesting consist, too: we had a couple of Metrolink cars along for the ride. I understand they were being refurbished somewhere in the Midwest and being delivered back home.

Thanks! Arrived safe and sound to LAX, 7 hours and 21 minutes behind schedule (due to, inter alia, overheating of the no. 2 engine, a borrowed BN loco to remediate that issue, and signal problems).

I will say that I've lived in LA my entire life and I've never seen the LA River like I saw it this afternoon from the train. It was raging.

Should note that it was an interesting consist, too: we had a couple of Metrolink cars along for the ride. I understand they were being refurbished somewhere in the Midwest and being delivered back home.
Yes, the LA River does do that with a good rain storm.
As for the Metrolink Cars, they were sent back to Milwaukee (Bombardier) to be refurbished and now returning to LA.
This has been going on for a couple of years now.

Interesting. I was on August's 3(3) and we too had a smoking no. 2 engine and a 6-7 hour delay.

Back