Eleanor B., Brooklyn NY

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billthebarn

Train Attendant
A few years ago, riding up from Miami, I was seated at dinner with Eleanor. After eating, she asked the waitress for decaf. The waitress returned saying "we're all out of decaf". That would have ended it for me but, Eleanor was insistant. "I cannot believe there is no decaf coffee on this entire train. Let me speak to your supervisor", Eleanor demanded. The LSA came to the table and explained that they did have decaf "but it wasn't made". Eleanor said "Well, make it". The LSA said it would take a half hour. Again Eleanor said "I'll wait". Ten minutes later, Eleanor had her cup of decaf.

Eleanor then explained to me that she is a big believer in complaining. She further explained that if people do not complain, nothing will ever get better. Eleanor was (and is) correct.

To balance this post out a little, I want to name a couple of excellent SCA's. I've had them both on the Silvers. Antoinette and her son, Joseph. I believe they originally come from Haiti. They are both what every SCA should be.

I would describe her action as "holding someone to an acceptable standard" and not really a complaint. If you offer the offending person a fix for the problem is always a better solution than just complaining. Point well taken.

I pick my complaints carefully. When food or drink is involved, I wait until I have been served or leaving to complain. I hope Eleanor checked her next item served to her for any "special extras" that may have been added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back