Elecrtification south of WAS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashland Train Enthusiast

Service Attendant
Hey All,

So today I was taking the Metro south across the Potomac, and as I was watching the rail bridge to see if I could catch any Amtrak trains noticed something that I hadn't noticed before. There looked to be old poles/wires/insulators from what looked to be a catenary system that had existed there previously. I was wondering if any of you knew anything about this; I've tried to do some research about who owned these tracks before CSX, and it seems that the tracks south of WAS through ALX have had multiple owners, so if anyone here could help shed some light on this question I would much appreciate it.

Thanks!

DCTE

Hey All,

So today I was taking the Metro south across the Potomac, and as I was watching the rail bridge to see if I could catch any Amtrak trains noticed something that I hadn't noticed before. There looked to be old poles/wires/insulators from what looked to be a catenary system that had existed there previously. I was wondering if any of you knew anything about this; I've tried to do some research about who owned these tracks before CSX, and it seems that the tracks south of WAS through ALX have had multiple owners, so if anyone here could help shed some light on this question I would much appreciate it.

Thanks!

DCTE
In the PRR days, the freight-only line that bypassed Union Station to the east was electrified across the Potomac to the interchange yard with the RF&P in Virginia. That line rejoins the passenger line a couple of blocks west of L'Enfant Plaza. The electrification was for the PRR freight service for operation into Virginia where the power was switched out. The passenger service electrification ended at Union Station and, like today, the passenger train power change occurred at Union Station. The tunnel under Capital Hill was not electrified.

Hey All,

Pennsy electrification went all the way to Potomac Yard (north end of it was at what is CP RO today) where Pennsy used to hand over freights to RF&P or Southern. The area occupied by Potomac Yard is even now called Potomac Yard, but is mostly occupied by office blocks, hotels and such by Crystal City. See the Wiki page for RF&P linked above for more info on the complex ownership and connectivity issues involving RF&P.

Pennsy electrification went all the way to Potomac Yard (north end of it was at what is CP RO today) where Pennsy used to hand over freights to RF&P or Southern. The area occupied by Potomac Yard is even now called Potomac Yard, but is mostly occupied by office blocks, hotels and such by Crystal City. See the Wiki page for RF&P linked above for more info on the complex ownership and connectivity issues involving RF&P.
Hi, Jis. So, besides the infestation of the Condo and Luxury Retail termite species, does any part of the land retail any rail use whatsoever? My words are cutting, admittedly, because it feels as if high end luxuries for the well to do have trespassed on a gravesite. I wonder of some of the issues affecting both freight as well as passenger rail, such as capacity and worn out infrastructure, would be eased if this yard was kept and modernized. It could at least have been an easy place to house an Amtrak electric fleet if catenary is ever brought into Virginia.

Remember the old saying, "The power to tax is the power to destroy."

That is part of the explanation for the dissapearance of Patomac Yard and a lot of other railroad facitlities and stations. Patomac Yard was, and is, some very high value real estate in the shadow of the Nation's capital. Property taxes were high, and in addition, RF&P, the owner, could make a lot of money off the sale. "Loose car" railroading was also in decline. All in all, the decision was made by the various player that whole trains could be handed over and switching done elsewhere. The inconveniece and added cost, if there was any, was probably more than overcome by the reduced tax bill.

By the way, much of the extensive servicing facilities for passenger equipment north of Union Station was destroyed and the area turned into WMATA's major repair yard and shop. Likewise, the three westermost throat tracks into Union Station and platform tracks 1 through 6 (or 7, I can never remember) also lost to WMATA.

So there was never any Electrification south of DC , i could have swore there was another Railroad who ran on Catenary to Richmond.
There may have been some electric interurban line going that way in the past, I don't know. But there never was any mainline electrification south of Potomac Yard.

So there was never any Electrification south of DC , i could have swore there was another Railroad who ran on Catenary to Richmond.
There may have been some electric interurban line going that way in the past, I don't know. But there never was any mainline electrification south of Potomac Yard.
To my knowledge there has never been Catenary south of Alexandria and/or Potomac Yards, especially all the way to Richmond. The W & OD was electrified from 1912 until 1941, but ran no farther south than Alexandria. There was also the Washington, Alexandria and Mount Vernon Railway, which ran to George Washington's abode. It ran from 1892 until 1932.

IIRC there was an article in Trains Magazine a few years back about N&W having electrified somewhere in Virginia on a heavy coal route. The trains were unique, I seem to recall they would only run with one pantograph up and then run electrical cables to the trailing motors to reduce wear on the wires.

IIRC there was an article in Trains Magazine a few years back about N&W having electrified somewhere in Virginia on a heavy coal route. The trains were unique, I seem to recall they would only run with one pantograph up and then run electrical cables to the trailing motors to reduce wear on the wires.
Wasn't that the former Virginian Railway? (Since absorbed into N&W/NS). Their electric locomotves were purchased by the New Haven when they ended electrification and lasted into the Conrail era.

Last edited by a moderator:
Consulted an old guide book for 1983/4, 'America By Train' by Ira Fistell. Excellent book by our standards, though admittedly today's audience of quick fixes and instant gratification, the many rail and geography facts would bore them. It was then known as pocket sized, and there is a photo of F40 #340 coming head on from what appears to be the Rockies.

Routes and mileposts are organized in what is now a rare fashion; it is a trainlover's dream. In the part about going south from Washington DC to Richmond past Potomac Yard, he states clearly that the overhead wires that reach all the way form New Haven CT end at the yard. This was strategicllly done because Corridor freight sometimes ran with electric power, incl. GG1's and E44's, and so needed not only a yard but a facility to switch to diesel and vice versa. Doing this at Ivy City or Washington Union Terminal would have overwhelmed and clogged operations.

How ironic that catenary may come back to this route to serve a noble purpose of high speed Acelas to Richmond.

Corridor freight did not generally run through Ivy City or Washington Union Terminal. They always ran on the bypass from Landover to the bridge across the Potomac and then onto RO. The line from Washington Union Terminal joins this line at CP Virginia.

Wasn't that the former Virginian Railway? (Since absorbed into N&W/NS). Their electric locomotves were purchased by the New Haven when they ended electrification and lasted into the Conrail era.
It was the Virginian.

It was the Virginian.
The Virginian did have an electrified section, but I believe it was in the western part of the state and did not come near Richmond. The electrified section was shut down after the merger with N&W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back