Emeryville parking

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

momof5

Train Attendant
I see on the Amtrak site that EMY has listed 60 short term spots and 60 long term overnight spots.....on the long term how long can you stay? I'm looking at from the 4th - 7th. Thanks in advance

I see on the Amtrak site that EMY has listed 60 short term spots and 60 long term overnight spots.....on the long term how long can you stay? I'm looking at from the 4th - 7th. Thanks in advance
You can stay as long as the time period that you will be away from Emeryville, as shown on your Amtrak ticket for departing and returning dates. After parking your car in the lot, you need to go inside the station and request a parking sticker from a ticket agent to affix to the inside of your front window. The agent will put validity dates on the sticker based on your departing and returning travel dates. In my experience, the agent has always added a day or two to my return date -- guess he/she knows something about how late the CZ can be.

Parking is outdoors. Never had a problem with my car security, but, obviously, don't leave any valuables in plain view inside.

I'm intrigued by a similar question: are there similar long term spots at SAC or DAV? I was thinking of a 6 day roundtrip to and from CHI.

I'm intrigued by a similar question: are there similar long term spots at SAC or DAV? I was thinking of a 6 day roundtrip to and from CHI.
Parking for Amtrak passengers at Emeryville is free. There is some long term parking at SAC, but it is not free. The Amtrak website also lists long-term parking at the DAV station, but I don't know if it is free, as I have never had my car there.

Parking for Amtrak passengers at Emeryville is free. There is some long term parking at SAC, but it is not free. The Amtrak website also lists long-term parking at the DAV station, but I don't know if it is free, as I have never had my car there.
Thanks for the reply. Question: when parking is not free, how expensive does it tend to be? And given a choice btwn the two, SAC and DAV, which is more likely to be safe? Hate to have a pleasurable six day "Fly Amtrak" only to come back to a vandalized car - talk about a cold shower end to a pleasurable trip :( Or, how seriously does Amtrak (assuming that's who runs/owns the lots) take the safety of the parked cars?

I've parked there multiples times. The space are numbered, but I haven't seen anything yet that defines whether or not a space is short or long term. They also have a pay parking machine on site. I haven't looked carefully, but I think it's one of those machines that spits out a ticket to place on the dash.

Typically the parking permit (requested at the ticket window) that they give is a static stick decal, although when they've run out they've printed stuff on yellow paper and permits just sit on the dash. They mark them with a permanent marker, and I'd be careful to let it dry completely before placing it on the window. I've put one on when I was in a hurry, and the ink transferred to the glass. Despite it being "permanent" it really doesn't stay permanently on glass, and a little alcohol will wipe it off. I've also had issues getting them to stick after the decal was wrinkled when I put it in my pocket.

As for safety of your vehicle and its contents, there's nothing to keep anyone out of there, and it's not patrolled all the time. I typically notice little bits of broken auto glass, so it's pretty obvious that there is the occasional snatch and grab. My car has always been intact though, and I've done some pretty stupid things with stuff in plain view.

The other issue I have would be how narrow the spaces are next to any of the fences. For whatever reason, they're maybe 10-15" narrower than the spaces in the center of the lot.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Amtrak+Station+-+EMY,+Horton+Street,+Emeryville,+CA&hl=en&ll=37.84117,-122.29192&spn=0.00095,0.001334&sll=37.297016,-121.817413&sspn=0.692618,1.366425&oq=amtrak+eme&t=h&hq=Amtrak+Station+-+EMY,&hnear=Horton+St,+Emeryville,+California&z=20

Thanks for the reply. Question: when parking is not free, how expensive does it tend to be? And given a choice btwn the two, SAC and DAV, which is more likely to be safe? Hate to have a pleasurable six day "Fly Amtrak" only to come back to a vandalized car - talk about a cold shower end to a pleasurable trip :( Or, how seriously does Amtrak (assuming that's who runs/owns the lots) take the safety of the parked cars?
There are no guarantees. The SAC station has an outdoor lot around the station and I think long term would probably be at one of the city-owned garages nearby. The Old Sacramento garage says it's a maximum $13 a day, but I'm not sure how you would get in if there's some sort of pre-pay rate if there's a special event when you arrive. In that case they don't issue the standard ticket. At the parking around the SAC station, when I've used it I had to note the space number, punch the number into a parking payment machine, and add money. I'm not sure you can do more than one day.

Davis has issues that a lot of homeless hang around the area, but I'm not sure they're into breaking into cars.

I know someone who had their catalytic converter stolen when parked for several weeks in May at EMY. :angry2:

A whole lot of fun to deal with when arriving back home on an over 2 hour late #14. :blink:

So parker beware... :(

BCL - given your choice btwn DAV and SAC, for 6 days, which would you pick?

... sorry about hijacking the thread.

Well - I'm not really much of an expert on Sacramento. When I was working in the area it was a long, long way from downtown Sacramento or Davis.

However, from my seat of the pants feeling I'd probably pick Davis. I'm not sure, but I think the parking would be free there, while you'd have to pay in Sacramento. Davis is sort of small town friendly, although I mentioned the reputation they have for homeless in the area. I heard one homeless guy was wandering around the tracks and got killed by a Capitol Corridor train.

From a general sense, I've parked near the station in Sacramento, and I got a bit spooked because there were people just loitering and I was worried that maybe that someone was looking for cars to break into - not that I had anything worth taking. I mean, who's really going to want to steal my kid's teeting toys?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well - I'm not really much of an expert on Sacramento. When I was working in the area it was a long, long way from downtown Sacramento or Davis.

However, from my seat of the pants feeling I'd probably pick Davis. I'm not sure, but I think the parking would be free there, while you'd have to pay in Sacramento. Davis is sort of small town friendly, although I mentioned the reputation they have for homeless in the area. I heard one homeless guy was wandering around the tracks and got killed by a Capitol Corridor train.

From a general sense, I've parked near the station in Sacramento, and I got a bit spooked because there were people just loitering and I was worried that maybe that someone was looking for cars to break into - not that I had anything worth taking. I mean, who's really going to want to steal my kid's teeting toys?
Thanks - I'll give the Davis people a call and see what they think. The problem is the car: a bimmer Z3 - which I've now had the roof sliced/slashed twice when I've left it in longer term parking - once in Yosemite on a 6 day backpack trip; once just over night at the base of Mt Shasta for a 24hr up and back climb [actually my avatar is from one of those trips]. Don't know why people feel the need to vandalize the car - in the Yosemite case they got nothing (cause I left nothing in it), other than dumping the glovebox contents on the floor; at Shasta they got some AAA maps... in each case it was $1200 to have the top replaced. Basically: twice burned, now more than a bit gun shy. Thanks again.

Emeryville = Free Parking with an Amtrak permit obtained from the station agent valid for the duration of travel. Lot does have break-ins but is patrolled by Emeryville Police throughout the day and night. Doesn't mean crime doesn't happen but it helps to discourage loitering as the checks are random in nature.

Davis = Free Parking with an Amtrak permit valid for the current month (generally) available from the station agent. Lot is patrolled by the Davis Police and is generally pretty secure from loitering. Break-in's are more rare (yes... they still do happen) than in Emeryville and Sacramento. Free parking is limited to the lot by the station and it generally filled up by 7am. If coming after 7am be sure to time your arrival for when a train comes in (generally Eastbound Capitol or Westbound California Zephyr) to try to snag a space from someone getting off. If the lot is full the city parking lot nearby offers an Amtrak rate for parking which generally is around $4-5/day.

Sacramento = Paid Parking ($9/day). Lot patrolled by Sacramento Police, however it can have issues depending on where you park in the lot. It has generally been getting better as there is a lot of foot traffic during the day near the station building. Lot can fill in the late morning but spaces generally cycle through throughout the day.

I've parked my car at all three and never had a problem. Emeryville and Davis I have parked my car there long term or over night... actually had a car on each end and took the train in between so Emeryville had a car parked overnight and I drove to work during the day and Davis had a day car that I drove home at night... worked out rather well (room mate was studying abroad so wanted me to drive the car anyway so it wouldn't sit for a year).

Personally I'd suggest Emeryville if travelling from the middle portion of the Bay Area and Davis if travelling from the Sacramento region. Lived near both, used them often, and never had a ticket, break-in, or vehicle stolen (personal experience, not a guarantee against future problems!)

Thanks for all the info and replies. My son actually was the one who got on the train today and had no problem getting a permit in Emeryville. His only complaint was that it had how long he was going to be gone for everyone to see.....I'm not worried because I've seen how messy his car is and no one is going to want to take the time to go through all of it. Although they may feel sorry for him and break-in just to clean it out...lol.

Emeryville = Free Parking with an Amtrak permit obtained from the station agent valid for the duration of travel. Lot does have break-ins but is patrolled by Emeryville Police throughout the day and night. Doesn't mean crime doesn't happen but it helps to discourage loitering as the checks are random in nature.
Davis = Free Parking with an Amtrak permit valid for the current month (generally) available from the station agent. Lot is patrolled by the Davis Police and is generally pretty secure from loitering. Break-in's are more rare (yes... they still do happen) than in Emeryville and Sacramento. Free parking is limited to the lot by the station and it generally filled up by 7am. If coming after 7am be sure to time your arrival for when a train comes in (generally Eastbound Capitol or Westbound California Zephyr) to try to snag a space from someone getting off. If the lot is full the city parking lot nearby offers an Amtrak rate for parking which generally is around $4-5/day.

Sacramento = Paid Parking ($9/day). Lot patrolled by Sacramento Police, however it can have issues depending on where you park in the lot. It has generally been getting better as there is a lot of foot traffic during the day near the station building. Lot can fill in the late morning but spaces generally cycle through throughout the day.

I've parked my car at all three and never had a problem. Emeryville and Davis I have parked my car there long term or over night... actually had a car on each end and took the train in between so Emeryville had a car parked overnight and I drove to work during the day and Davis had a day car that I drove home at night... worked out rather well (room mate was studying abroad so wanted me to drive the car anyway so it wouldn't sit for a year).

Personally I'd suggest Emeryville if travelling from the middle portion of the Bay Area and Davis if travelling from the Sacramento region. Lived near both, used them often, and never had a ticket, break-in, or vehicle stolen (personal experience, not a guarantee against future problems!)
Many thanks for the fine information - it looks like it'll be Davis, and the CZ to CHI and back... will have to see about a long term spot there. Again, many thanks.

If I "had" to park a car in Sacramento, it would be at the fenced lot of the HI hostel on the NW corner of 10th & H. When I stayed there the lot was not crowded and the added fee was $5/night.

Another thing I have done is to get off the southbound CS early in the morning and take a YOLO bus out to the airport to rent a car.

If I "had" to park a car in Sacramento, it would be at the fenced lot of the HI hostel on the NW corner of 10th & H. When I stayed there the lot was not crowded and the added fee was $5/night.Another thing I have done is to get off the southbound CS early in the morning and take a YOLO bus out to the airport to rent a car.
I don't think they rent out spaces without actually staying at the hostel the same night which would not be convenient for the stated purpose. Also, the alley behind the hostel is one of the downtown area's major homeless bathroom and there are regular car break ins on the surrounding blocks. I lived spitting distance from the hostel for over a decade and have seen numerous cars broken into over that time.

If it were me I'd park in Davis. Even though SAC charges and in theory the lot is patrolled by the police, knowing how understaffed the Sacramento Police Department is would suggest that parking lot patrol at the station is on the low end of their downtown/Old Sacramento policing agenda.

Thanks for all the info and replies. My son actually was the one who got on the train today and had no problem getting a permit in Emeryville. His only complaint was that it had how long he was going to be gone for everyone to see.....I'm not worried because I've seen how messy his car is and no one is going to want to take the time to go through all of it. Although they may feel sorry for him and break-in just to clean it out...lol.
I have a ten ride ticket and the permit I get is usually good until the day after the last valid day. I've also received some permits with only an expiration date. The dates are no guarantee to a thief when you get back.

While on the subject of EMY, can anyone tell me how to get from the station to the pedestrian overpass leading to the shopping center on the other side of the tracks? According to Google maps, it appears to be north of the station, whereas the front of the stations is to the east.

While on the subject of EMY, can anyone tell me how to get from the station to the pedestrian overpass leading to the shopping center on the other side of the tracks? According to Google maps, it appears to be north of the station, whereas the front of the stations is to the east.
One of the towers is right at the edge of the platform. There is no way you'll miss it.

One of the towers is right at the edge of the platform. There is no way you'll miss it.
Thanks. That's what I like to hear.

Thanks. That's what I like to hear.
Be aware that sometimes the elevator in the tower is out of service. In that case, you need to hike up 4 flights of stairs to cross the tracks -- bothersome if carrying lots of luggage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back