Empire Builder and Daylight Saving Time

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m taking the #8 tomorrow Saturday November 4th Seattle to Chicago. we leave Seattle at 4:55. Leave Spokane at 1:15am (5th) then sand point at 2:20am but will magically be 1:20 because of the fall back 20 minutes earlier. Will they hold on sand point? Hold on Spokane an extra hour? Wait in Seattle maybe until 5:55? Anyone know ?

I’m taking the #8 tomorrow Saturday November 4th Seattle to Chicago. we leave Seattle at 4:55. Leave Spokane at 1:15am (5th) then sand point at 2:20am but will magically be 1:20 because of the fall back 20 minutes earlier. Will they hold on sand point? Hold on Spokane an extra hour? Wait in Seattle maybe until 5:55? Anyone know ?
The practice of Amtrak and intercity bus companies has been to sit in the next station for an hour and following that tradition you'll have an hour to enjoy Sandpoint. If they were to hold at Spokane it would not be fair for people destined to Sandpoint. It might also report the train as an hour late.

In 2022 Train 8 was so late that it just absorbed the hour at Sandpoint. Here is the 2021 trip, departed Spokane on time:
https://asm.transitdocs.com/train/2021/11/06/A/8

Similarly, I'm boarding the Lake Shore Limited Nov 25 morning in Toledo. The previous stop was 1:45 am in Bryan OH.
If on schedule it should arrive in TOL at 2:55 am, which is now 1:55am and I'm guessing they'll sit there until their scheduled 3:15 dep. I am also concerned when my Uber driver will pick me up. I asked for 2:15 am I wonder if he'll do 1:15 or 2:15. If the former, I'll just get sleeping on the train.
----
So this all worked out. I set my wakeup time to 2:10 am using my phone, so it would give me the hour sleep.
Upon wakeup my Uber had just arrived... we got to the station at 2:30 and the train had arrived and was sitting there.
I got on and went back to sleep.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back