Empire Builder CHI-MSP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choochoodood

Service Attendant
A few questions I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me can answer...

When does the Empire Builder add the additional coach for the Chicago to St. Paul segment?

Is it added to the end of the consist? If so, how does this affect the passengers riding in the PDX Sleeper? Do the coach patrons have access through the sleeper to get to the SSL or Diner?

The extra MSP coach is seasonal in the summer months. I'm not sure of the exact start and stop dates. The coach is added behind the Portland sleeper. The MSP coach passengers do have to pass through the PDX sleeper to get to the diner and lounge.

we're thinking of doing this route in the spring (CHI-MSP round trip). do you get dinner out of chicago? what about return? any meal there? thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the CHI to PDX trip last year. Yes, you DO get dinner out of Chicago. We were seated just after leaving LaCrosse, WI. There were earlier seatings than that. Remember though, if you're not traveling first class (Sleeping car), those passengers will have priority over you, so you may not be able to eat at the exact time you desire.

Can't tell you about the meal times on the return trip because we flew home.

The extra MSP coach is seasonal in the summer months. I'm not sure of the exact start and stop dates. The coach is added behind the Portland sleeper. The MSP coach passengers do have to pass through the PDX sleeper to get to the diner and lounge.
Can someone tell me the EXACT date it starts? This will affect when I book.

Has the MSP coach been attached in recent years? I haven't seen it in the booking system in the last year or so (and I don't think they did it in 2015 either.)

If ridership continues to improve, though, I could see them restarting it. And it's possible it's there but I just missed it.

I did the CHI to PDX trip last year. Yes, you DO get dinner out of Chicago. We were seated just after leaving LaCrosse, WI. There were earlier seatings than that. Remember though, if you're not traveling first class (Sleeping car), those passengers will have priority over you, so you may not be able to eat at the exact time you desire.

Can't tell you about the meal times on the return trip because we flew home.

Look for train 807 in the reservation system. 808 eastbound.

I believe it starts getting added when Amtrak sees the number of riders approaching the requirement for the car to be added. In other words, it will begin service when Amtrak deems it necessary & ends when they deem it unnecessary. However without it you can still book travel between Chicago & MSP.

peter

With the Empire Builder often sold out, there is a clear need for a 2nd train between Chicago and Minneapolis. Maybe a couple extra Brightline trainsets could be built for the Midwest since there is little chance for additional coaches being built anytime soon.

Back