Empire Builder Chi - Vancouver

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jannie

Train Attendant
Leaving on a Sunday from Chicago - We checked our baggage through to Seattle - and picked up the tickets from our confirmation -- the lady who waited on us was friendly and helpful. Then to the Metropolitan Lounge and it was great. It wasn't busy when we initially got there (that changed later!). The funniest thing was when a person said "they brought some rolls". I walked over and the attendant took them away as I got close -- what did she think I shouldn't have any :) Anyway, then she brought chips... and more rolls -- we got a chuckle out of it.

We left on time - the person on the train (I don't know who does that) told about up coming sites like the Miller Brewery or whatever up until around Winona MN and then nothing. My husband happened to see what looked like Glacier NP so we knew that, but no words from any train person. The roomette car attendant was great and really helpful to an elderly lady near our room. The dining car food was good, but after the 1st night didn't have a toasted cheese sandwich, soup & sandwich ortopping for the railroad french toast. We had real plates.

We arrived on time into Seattle even though we had, had to wait quite awhile in Minot for a freight train. We got our Amtrak bus to Vancouver with no problems.

My only negative was at one place that was a smoke break (picture taking for us). No horn whistle, or all aboard -- had we (along with some others at the end of the train not heard the "sis" of a brake) we would have been left - conductor got on right before us let the door close slam in our face - very unfriendly. We hoped on the closest place and walked through the train as it was moving to get back to the sleeper.

Other than that it was a good trip.

Sometimes the car attendants call out sights over the intercom, which I really enjoy. Anna Maria (on the SWC) gives little history lessons between Trinidad and Las Vegas.

You need to report that rude and unsafe conductor for his failure to do his job!

Nice trip, enjoyed both trip reports and I agree that the EB route isn't the Best even before the mess going on up on the Hi-Line!

Back