Empire Builder/ Coast Starlight seating

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trainflyer

Train Attendant
Two friends and I are taking the Empire Builder and then the Coast Starlight in September from Chicago to Los Angeles by way of an overnight in Seattle. Later, we will take the Sunset from Los Angeles to New Orleans. The deluxe sleepers are always looking out in one direction, as they are all on the same side of the train. But for dining in the dining car, which side (I guess we would call it starboard or port) has the best scenery?

Leaving Chicago, I imagine the east or starboard side would have a view of Lake Michigan. Then in Minnesota, the same side would have a view of the Mississippi.

Any suggestions for the southbound Coast Starlight?

Any suggestions for the eastbound Sunset Ltd?

Aloha

The Lounge, Then you can see both directions

Coast Starlight, Beaches, Vandenberg Walamit valley (?Spelling)

Sunset Limited, Mexico on the right

Just beautiful Country everywich way you look. :D :p :)

trainflyer said:
The deluxe sleepers are always looking out in one direction, as they are all on the same side of the train.
That is true, however if you keep your door open along with the curtain that covers the door, then you can usually look out the window right across the hall from your room. That way you can still see out both sides of the train.

Then of course there is both the dining car and the Sightseer lounge, which will allow you to easily see out either side of the car.

Leaving Chicago, I imagine the east or starboard side would have a view of Lake Michigan.
Leaving Chicago you don't ever really get close enough to the lake to see it. More inland route. Due north to Milwaukee, but not along the lake.

I agree with Alan about the Deluxe bedroom. I left my door and curtains open and spent half my time, it felt like, kneeling and looking out the windows on the asile.

Here are pictures of my EB trip last year, if you are interested:

Empire Builder Trip Pictures

Tom

GG-1 said:
Aloha
The Lounge, Then you can see both directions
I agree! The lounge is the place whether coach or bedroom for seeing scenery. Then it doesn't make any diffeence whether your on the right, left, starboard, fireman's or engineer's side.

Hands down, the sightseer lounge is the place to be. However, someitmes it will be too crowded, too noisy, etc, etc, in which case a deluxe bedroom serves quite nicely.

I have spent a lot of time "on my knees"(as others have mentioned) looking out the opposite side of the train from my upstairs deluxe bedroom.

As to seeing the ocean on the right hand side southbound from the Coast Starlight, I think it is around Santa Barbara where the views are the best. No doubt others can clarify that.

Bill Haithcoat said:
Hands down, the sightseer lounge is the place to be. However, someitmes it will be too crowded, too noisy, etc, etc, in which case a deluxe bedroom serves quite nicely.
I also find that after dark, it is difficult to see out the lounge windows with the lights on. Then your sleeper with the door and curtains closed and the lights turned off allows a better view of the outside.

Back