Empire Builder/ Coast Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to leave Chicago 10/30 on the EB arriving Portland at 10:10 on 11/1 then catch the CS at 2:25 pm arriving at SAC at 6:15 on 11/2 the the CZ at 11:09 back to CHI. Is this doable or am I being too ambitious? My main concern is being able to catch the CS if the EB is late. I do not want to end up riding coach on an LD train back to CHI. Too old for that anymore

Visit http://juckins.net/amtrak_status/and look for Search Connecting Trains. Enter the trains of interest (27 and 11 in this case) and the connecting station (pdx in this case) and the time frame of interest. For 29 of the past 30 days, it appears the Empire Builder has arrived before the Coast Starlight departed, and that other day is missing data.

Repeat for 11 and 6 at Sacramento.

I would do it.

I would plan on spending a night in Portland even if the connection is made. There is a HI Hostel within walking distance of the station (18th & Glisan). It's a nice city with plenty to see and do for 25-27 hours.

There is never a problem with the connection in Sacramento. I've arrived as early as 5:30AM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back