Empire Builder Consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The boxed dinner out of PDX on 28 is probably the BEST meal served on Amtrak. (It's prepared by a PDX gourmet restaurant.) the breakfast boxed meal out of SPK on 27 is probably the worst meal.
True that! :wub:
This summer we're traveling from Seattle to Essex, Mont., via Portland. Sure, it's on AGR points, but one reason was the dinner on the Portland sleeper.

The breakfast on #27 isn't terrible, but it's much worse than breakfast in the diner, I think. It is better than the scary French toast thing I got on the Cardinal once.
True again! ;) (Think they call that "French Toast Sticks" on the Card! I'm one who thinks the Card is a Good Train except for the Equipment and that the Food is OK except for the Breakfasts! :help: )

The PDX sleeper is always the last car on both 27/7 and 28/8. The SEA sleepers are always upfront and the PDX sleeper is always on the back.
Would the PDX sleeper always be backed on to the end of the train? (meaning the car would always be turned around and facing the oppositie direction as when it left Portland.) Or is it "random" who backs into who?

The entire consist of the Portland section is normally turned in Portland as a unit, so the sleeper will be oriented the same the way as it arrived (i.e. if the bedrooms were forward, they stay forward).

Last edited by a moderator:
The entire consist of the Portland section is normally turned in Portland as a unit, so the sleeper will be oriented the same the way as it arrived (i.e. if the bedrooms were forward, they stay forward).
I meant, if the sleeper is facing one way leaving Portland, will it be facing the same way after it is connected in Spokane, on it's way to Chicago.

It will be facing the same way relative to the direction of travel. The left side will still be the left side, but of course from a cardinal direction point of view, the rooms on the left are south-facing westward and north-facing eastward.

The Portland section is merely coupled to the end of the Seattle section in Spokane. No cars are turned there. Each consist is turned at their respective endpoints of Portland and Seattle.

It will be facing the same way relative to the direction of travel. The left side will still be the left side, but of course from a cardinal direction point of view, the rooms on the left are south-facing westward and north-facing eastward.
The Portland section is merely coupled to the end of the Seattle section in Spokane. No cars are turned there. Each consist is turned at their respective endpoints of Portland and Seattle.
I have a upcoming trip on 28 out of Portland in Roomette #6. What are the chances that this will face the Columbia River side?

I have a upcoming trip on 28 out of Portland in Roomette #6. What are the chances that this will face the Columbia River side?
Not good...http://www.amtrakagentsupport.com/fam-3d-tours-diagrams.htm

Was just on 28(18) and 27(18). 28(18) had Bedroom A bringing up the rear. 27(18) had Roomettes 9 and 10 bringing up the rear. It really is luck of the draw. If all else fails go to the Sightseer Lounge.

Also, went out to watch the operation in Spokane. Westbound is much easier than eastbound per say as just locomotives are shuffled around. Eastbound the Seattle section pulled past the Portland Section and then when backed into it after a little locomotive shuffling.

Portland Sleeper should always bring up the rear at Spokane pending any PV's, DH's or Operational changes.

I meant, if the sleeper is facing one way leaving Portland, will it be facing the same way after it is connected in Spokane, on it's way to Chicago.
50/50 chance of any roomette being on the river (south-facing) side. The sleepers can and do run oriented in either direction and it is pretty much random. It will be oriented the same way it was oriented by the Chicago Coach Yard in Chicago 2 days before as train 27.

When you get into your room, if you are looking out at the other platforms and the condos, you're on the "river" side. If you are looking at the station, you are on the "land" side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back