Empire Builder - Dinner from Havre, MT restaurant?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Train Attendant
I was reading the following report which investigates potential improvements for the Empire Builder service. One thing they made note of was that Amtrak has a vendor contract with the Boxcars restaurant in Havre, MT where "customers placing orders with the on-board staff for a box dinner received after departure from this station." Does anyone know what this means? Is this a offered alternate to eating in the dining car?

http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/676/676/PRIIA-section-210-FY-12-performance-improvement-plan-amtrak,0.pdf

Also - has Amtrak made any of the proposed improvements?

I was reading the following report which investigates potential improvements for the Empire Builder service. One thing they made note of was that Amtrak has a vendor contract with the Boxcars restaurant in Havre, MT where "customers placing orders with the on-board staff for a box dinner received after departure from this station." Does anyone know what this means? Is this a offered alternate to eating in the dining car?
http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/676/676/PRIIA-section-210-FY-12-performance-improvement-plan-amtrak,0.pdf

Also - has Amtrak made any of the proposed improvements?
I sampled it once...it was just mediocre cold fried chicken, a roll, something I can't remember, and a huckleberry cobbler. IIRC, it was around $12 and NOT an alternate to eating in the dining car.

Mine was served ice cold. Never again. A hot dog from the Sightseer is more satisfying.

As I wrote in my above link, the cafe attendant gladly heated it up for me in the microwave. I would order it again

in a heartbeat if I was traveling coach. Much better than cafe food, and much cheaper than diner food.

As I wrote in my above link, the cafe attendant gladly heated it up for me in the microwave. I would order it againin a heartbeat if I was traveling coach. Much better than cafe food, and much cheaper than diner food.
Totally agree if you are travelling in coach...however, my cafe attendant wanted a buck to heat mine and I was ordering a beer as well!

Maybe it's better some days than others. We were in a sleeper for 6 days and thought it might be a nice change. Took 2 bites of everything, threw all the rest out and headed for the diner.

Last edited by a moderator:
At last check, they were also doing the cold meals for the Portland section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back