Empire Builder - Eastbound or westbound?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Faraz

Which direction is better for scenery or is there not much difference? I would prefer to take from Chicago. Alaska airlines has affordable 1-way fares return from Seattle for $150. Also which months is the park ranger on board?

Which direction is better for scenery or is there not much difference? I would prefer to take from Chicago. Alaska airlines has affordable 1-way fares return from Seattle for $150. Also which months is the park ranger on board?
The park rangers are on board during the summer months. Really, the east and west bound Empire Builder, scenery wise is about the same. Although the eastbound Builder gives you a better view of the Rocky Mountains through Montana. This time of year especially, with it getting darker earlier, you will miss out on much of the Rocky Mountain Scenery in Montana if you take the Empire Builder Westbound.

At this time of the year, you'll miss the best scenery going west bound as it will be dark when the train reaches Glacier National Park. During the summer months if the train is on time you'll get to see most of the park, but if it runs late by even an hour you'll miss plenty.

The timetable doesn't specify months, but does indicate that the ranger is only onboard during the spring and the summer. Oddly enough I don't recall it being an actual ranger that I saw this past June, I think it was private organization that did the presentation, but I could be wrong. Maybe he just wasn't wearing his uniform.

Ill probably take the trip in spring . I am mainly interested in the mountain scenery, so sounds like westbound is better? Or are the days not long enough in the spring ?

we went last year in early march. it was just getting dark as we went into the rockies westbound. i would think after the spring equinox it would stay light through most of the mountains(given good weather). the eb gets to west glacier(the end of the big mountains)about 8:30pm heading west. next morning the cascades will be in daytime. to assure yourself of the rockies in light you have to do it eastbound though. tough call.

This is not exactly keeping with the thread topic but did not want to start a new one.I was just watching my own video I made of the EB and was wondering what is the max speed limit for this train.It is hard to judge while just cruising along and enjoying the trip.

This is not exactly keeping with the thread topic but did not want to start a new one.I was just watching my own video I made of the EB and was wondering what is the max speed limit for this train.It is hard to judge while just cruising along and enjoying the trip.
79mph.

Mr. Faraz,

I recommend the eastbound, Seattle to Chicago, direction for your first experience aboard the Empire Builder. No matter the time of year you'll be able to see the beautiful scenery of Glacier National Park during daylight hours.

Seattle to Chiago pictures and trip report.

Cheers,

David Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back