Empire Builder ontime performance

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi!

I'm planning a circle trip Portland - Seattle - Spokane - Portland on the second weekend of March. I'm planning to do a middle of the night connection between the two Empire Builder sections (in opposite directions obviously) in Spokane. Now I'm kind of hoping the eastbound train will be somewhat late, but not too much and the westbound trains will not be late at all ... What do you guys think:

- am I crazy to try this?

- what are the odds of having to stay up all night in Spokane? What does the area around the station look like? Anything to do? Restaurants that are open all night, etc.?

- what are the odds of me missing my connection?

Thanks

Marcel

The Builder generally has pretty good performance. I did a similar triangle trip in April/May (celebrating Amtrak's birthday on the train). However, on my last Empire Builder trip (a couple of weeks ago), the eastbound section from Seattle got into Spokane several hours late. I don't know if it missed the connection with the westbound (i.e. if the westbound was equally late), because I was asleep during the stop at Spokane (and thus don't know if the westbound came through while we waited).

The station is shared with Greyhound. Absolutely nothing fascinating about it at all. I don't think there is anything more than a vending machine open at that hour.

That said, go for it, but be careful that your eastbound doesn't leave Seattle too late for any reason (odds are, you won't be delayed enroute unless there is an equipment failure or a derailment/track problem). Keep an eye on the westbound that arrives Seattle that morning. If it is running several hours late, there's a good chance the eastbound will leave late, and that will screw up your plans.

rmadisonwi said:
(odds are, you won't be delayed enroute unless there is an equipment failure or a derailment/track problem).
Have to agree here. BNSF treats Amtrak with upmost respect (unlike those "Unlimited Parking" guys :lol: ). BNSF will always avoid putting Amtrak in a siding to wait for a freight train when they can. An exceptions would be a very long freight that could not fit in that particular siding. But I def. wouldn't worry, sounds like a lot of fun!

The Builder's time keeping is usually pretty good at that point, so you shouldn't have too much trouble there. There is an Asian restaraunt inside of Spokane's station that makes a pretty good breakfast (fried eggs, pancackes, etc.). It's upstairs near the Greyhound doors, and it does open for the arrival of the Builder.

The new or what I'll cal new station is a vast improvement over the old one. There are several restaurants in the area, but I haven't been there for awhile and don't know which one's are open 24hrs. There is a place I like called Frankie Doodles which is about three or four blocks south of the station 2nd AVE if I remember correctly and seven blocks east. It is open 24 hours. 2nd AVE is restaurant row (taco bell, mc d's, arby's, subway, etc). The area in the vicinity of the station is not too bad, but it ain't great either. It would be a short and cheap cab ride to Frankie Doodles, which is what I would do.

Back