Empire Builder Operation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, good job I like that!
I think after an Empire Builder trip coming up at the end of this month I'll get some commentary and photos up about the current state of dining car service and wine tasting on the Empire Builder.

-David
I'm trying to put together a trip next August, eastbound from Seattle. Still looking for the magic combination of rooms and buckets.

I'm already booked for late June/early July. Winona, MN-PDX, PDX-SEA, SEA-Winona, MN. I'll be anxious to hear what you find on the Empire Builder. :)

Thank you very much for the information. I have booked my first overnight train trip. My mother and I will be traveling from Portland OR to South Bend IN for Christmas. I have always loved trains and can hardly wait for this trip. I have read almost all of the posts on this forum.

My mom is handicapped, so we have booked the accessible sleeper. Unfortunately, due to her limitations, she will probably spend most of her time in the room. I am glad to hear that the meals will be brought to us. I would not mind eating in the dining car but don't want to leave my mom to eat by herself. I plan on exploring the train at other times.

Again thank you for the information. If you have any other helpful hints, please let me know. I cannot tell you how excited I am about this trip!

I hope you and your mother have an enjoyable trip. I have taken my 94 year father-in-law to Florida on the Silver Star. We had a bedroom and he took his

meals in the room. I went to the dining car for my meals. The train is an excellent mode of transport for older and special needs people.

I see somewhat regular questions from newer board members about the Empire Builder and the food service options created by its split operation. The train splits and joins in Spokane, WA. I just completed an entry on my blog to summarize the operation from my dozen plus trips of experience.
Empire Builder consist and food service options

Cheers,

David
Good report.

One other piece of information for those arriving into Spokane on 28 or 8 and continuing east. There is a snack bar open late on the second level up the escalator with a menu a little bit broader than PDX's snack bar. If the inbound trains are on time you should have plenty of time to pick up a late snack to go before the train continues at 1:15 a.m. Detrain, take the escalator down to the first level; go through the double doors; cross the terminal and go up the second escalator, and you'll see the snack bar. Nothing fancy, but filling.

I see somewhat regular questions from newer board members about the Empire Builder and the food service options created by its split operation. The train splits and joins in Spokane, WA. I just completed an entry on my blog to summarize the operation from my dozen plus trips of experience.

Cheers,

David
Good job, but there is one typo in there: "The westbound trains depart together and travel the rest of their journey to Chicago, Illinois."

EB trains going to Chicago are invariable going eastbound.

Thank you very much for the information. I have booked my first overnight train trip. My mother and I will be traveling from Portland OR to South Bend IN for Christmas. I have always loved trains and can hardly wait for this trip. I have read almost all of the posts on this forum.
My mom is handicapped, so we have booked the accessible sleeper. Unfortunately, due to her limitations, she will probably spend most of her time in the room. I am glad to hear that the meals will be brought to us. I would not mind eating in the dining car but don't want to leave my mom to eat by herself. I plan on exploring the train at other times.

Again thank you for the information. If you have any other helpful hints, please let me know. I cannot tell you how excited I am about this trip!
Good luck on your trip. I recently did our 1st long distance train trip with my handicapped son in the accessible room. Check out the 3 part trip report (Pennsylvanian-CL-SWC) for our comments about the H room. Esepcially 3rd part for general observations re H rooms.

Cheers,

David
Good job, but there is one typo in there: "The westbound trains depart together and travel the rest of their journey to Chicago, Illinois."

Another mistake: The extra coach (807/808) is added and removed in St. Paul, not Minneapolis. The Empire Builder doesn't stop in Minneapolis.

Good luck on your trip. I recently did our 1st long distance train trip with my handicapped son in the accessible room. Check out the 3 part trip report (Pennsylvanian-CL-SWC) for our comments about the H room. Esepcially 3rd part for general observations re H rooms.
Thank you very much for the 3 part trip report. The general observations regarding the H room are very helpful.

My mom is very unsteady on her feet (arthritis and Parkinsons) and she uses a collapsible transport chair (or should I say I use it to take her places.) I have been debating whether to put it in the general luggage area or keep it in the room with us. I think I will keep it in the room with us as somewhere she can sit while the beds are being made up as well as extra support in using the facilities and now as a bedrail!. I am going to bring some bungy cords to keep it collapsed and secure it to the coat handle I have seen in other pictures while not in use. I hope it will fit in that area.

I was curious about the upper bunk since that is where I will sleep. Thanks for the tips.

It is also nice to hear that the SCA are attentive to the needs of the occupants of the H room.

I noticed you said you had pictures. Any picture of the H room would be helpful.

Thanks again.

I noticed you said you had pictures. Any picture of the H room would be helpful.
Glad you found the info helpful.

The Amtrak web site has "virtual tours" of the sleeper rooms. I believe there is one of the H room.

I do have 4 or 5 interior shots of the H room, which I will try to get posted in the next week or so. Since my photos show it with a person in the shot it may give you a better idea of size of the space than the images on the Amtrak web site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Everyone , Our first trip is next week , we are very excited . Is it normal to be nervous ? I wake up in the middle of the night and find things to worry about . I don't think I will relax until we are on the Empire Builder heading northwest . This is supposed to be a relaxing vacation but I feel stressed out just getting ready to go !

Hi Everyone , Our first trip is next week , we are very excited . Is it normal to be nervous ? I wake up in the middle of the night and find things to worry about . I don't think I will relax until we are on the Empire Builder heading northwest . This is supposed to be a relaxing vacation but I feel stressed out just getting ready to go !
Relax! I took my first Amtrak trip 3 yrs. ago and had the same feelings as you do. I had such a great experience on that first trip that I've since ridden over 20,000 miles on Amtrak and each one is better than the last. This was before I found out about this discussion board where you can find out all kinds of info. If you haven't already, go into the section titled "Amtrak Faos & First Timer Rider Info" which is right below the general discussion section.

And remember it's not a train trip it's an adventure! A good one at that!

I was so incredibly excited and anxious before my first Amtrak trip. I found the best way to feed my anticipation was to read some trip reports before I left. The stories allowed me to imagine myself on such a trip as well as manage my expectations of the experience.

I enjoyed some good ones at this website.

I've written some as well, start here: 2006 Trip Report. Follow the links to additional parts if you like what you read.

-David

Thank you for that catch! That was extracted from a 2006 Trip report that also had the error. I hope I've fixed it appropriately at both locations.

Maybe it was opposite day when I first wrote the explanation?

David

Another mistake: The extra coach (807/808) is added and removed in St. Paul, not Minneapolis. The Empire Builder doesn't stop in Minneapolis.
I have corrected Minneapolis to St. Paul - Minneapolis, just as Amtrak lists the stop in the timetable. It is referred to as Midway Station.

Cheers,

David Z

Completely normal. I didn't 'relax' until about an hour after I got on the train.

I was so incredibly excited and anxious before my first Amtrak trip. I found the best way to feed my anticipation was to read some trip reports before I left. The stories allowed me to imagine myself on such a trip as well as manage my expectations of the experience.

I enjoyed some good ones at this website.

I've written some as well, start here: 2006 Trip Report. Follow the links to additional parts if you like what you read.

-David
I was excited, but not too excited before departing on the Empire Builder to Seattle last Memorial Day weekend. Was anxious, though. What helped me enormously throughout the trip was having read so many trip reports and bringing along a detailed guide of the route so I knew what to expect along the way. I brought along, also, my laptop computer with a GPS feature and it was so useful. My pre-trip preparation allowed me - a first timer - to explain to people I was sitting with in the Diner just where we were, what to expect next, etc.

Hi All , Well my husband and I just returned from our first Amtrak adventure , we loved it. Thank you to everyone for your advice to relax and enjoy just knowing I was not the only one who felt so anxious beforehand was a huge help . We shared meals with so many friendly people most of whom had traveled on Amtrak before. We found the train trip to be much less stressful than flying and a great way to kick back and enjoy the sights . Our only complaint was that we did not have the true Observation car we were anticipating , what we had was a Lounge car with tables and windows of course , from what we were told it was not the normal car for the Empire Builder . Very disappointing ! It certainly made taking pictures more challenging.

I am interested in traveling to New Mexico or Arizona on our next vacation . Has anyone taken that trip recently ? I would love to hear about it ! What is the train like , staff friendliness etc. etc. Looks we have found a new mode of travel !

Hi All , Well my husband and I just returned from our first Amtrak adventure , we loved it. Thank you to everyone for your advice to relax and enjoy just knowing I was not the only one who felt so anxious beforehand was a huge help . We shared meals with so many friendly people most of whom had traveled on Amtrak before. We found the train trip to be much less stressful than flying and a great way to kick back and enjoy the sights . Our only complaint was that we did not have the true Observation car we were anticipating , what we had was a Lounge car with tables and windows of course , from what we were told it was not the normal car for the Empire Builder . Very disappointing ! It certainly made taking pictures more challenging. I am interested in traveling to New Mexico or Arizona on our next vacation . Has anyone taken that trip recently ? I would love to hear about it ! What is the train like , staff friendliness etc. etc. Looks we have found a new mode of travel !
Yeah I was on the Builder two weeks ago and it ran with two Cross Country cafes instead of a sightseer lounge and a full diner. The crew was not too happy about it. The conducter said two sightseer lounges were sitting at Portland bad-ordered. The next days Builder had the normal consist.

Cheers,

David
Thanks for posting that entry. It makes it a little easier knowing what to expect. My sleeper is in car #2730, so this means I'll be at the tail end, right? And have to trapse about 5 cars to the diner? Who says you can't get exercise on the train! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back