Empire Builder Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikerd5522

Train Attendant
Hi All,

First time posting here, but long time reader. I am considering taking a trip on the Empire Builder in late august or early september. My plan is to fly out to the west coast, from New England, and then taking the builder back. I'm just not sure where I want to board the builder, Portland or Seattle. I'll be purchasing a roomette all the way back, so that isn't an issue. I've never been to either city nor have I been on a really long distance train (longest has been the Capitol Limited, Lake Shore, and Silver Meteor) so I'm really excited about this.

Does anyone have any input, or suggestion, on where to board?

Thanks!

-Mike

I'd vote for Seattle, since you'll have the full diner to eat dinner in. Out of Portland you only get a cafe car, at least until the two sections merge later that night in Spokanne.

There is also a good chance that you'll find roomettes to be cheaper on the Seattle section.

I think leaving from either city would make for a great trip but I might consider Portland for the following reasons: 1. Nicer station and a first class lounge to wait in. 2. Easier access from the airport to the train station on public transportation 3. Great bookstore downtown with a huge railroad section 4. Beautiful trip up the Columbia River Gorge before darkness the first night.

If you are in the Portland section, once the trains merge, you will be on the rear of the train. While I like having the sleepers on the rear, you will have to walk through the Portland coaches to get to the lounge and ALL the coaches to get to the dining car.

Aloha

Think I agree with Alan on this one having the diner is a major plus. I never used the Portlan leg of the trip so I dont know about the scenery but if you visit my Empire Builder Gallery, the first few pictures (beach, sub, bridge) are shortly after leaving Seattle.

If you are in the Portland section, once the trains merge, you will be on the rear of the train. While I like having the sleepers on the rear, you will have to walk through the Portland coaches to get to the lounge and ALL the coaches to get to the dining car.
As an avid (doesn't mean good :) ) photographer I found being on the end of the train to be a distinct advantage. Last May I boarded the Portland section at Pasco, WA, after a bus bridge from the Coast Starlight at Klamath Falls, OR. I didn't mind walking the train to get to meals, and because I got such great shots out the back, the observation car was pretty superfluous; no lame reflections to deal with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Purely from a scenery standpoint, I would vote Portland because the early evening views traveling through the Columbia River Gorge are much nicer than the views seen on the eastbound departure out of Seattle. As to the lack of a dining car out of PDX, well, it's only one lesser quality cafe meal in exchange for some really pretty scenery.

On a further note, Union Station in Portland is much nicer than Seattle's King Street Station and, as another poster mentioned, it also has a First Class lounge. Have a great trip!

Thanks for your input! I took a look at it, and I didn't realize that Portland had such a great light rail system. I think that would make it easier to get around from the airport and into downtown. Also, the flights are cheaper into Portland than into Seattle, so thats another bonus.

The dinner is one thing I'll have to sacrifice (which I'm not thrilled about) but hopefully the scenery makes up for it. I've always wanted to go cross country by train (I'd go both ways if I had more time and if it was cheaper) and the scenery is definitely one of the reasons I'm going. That and to relax and get away for a bit. I'm in graduate school right now (coming right in from undergrad) so I wanted to get out and experience this before I have to "get a real job" and put in for vacation time. Maybe I'll just stay in school forever, getting degree after degree and deferring on my loans!

Yes, that perpetual grad student idea seemed to have some merit in the day, but sooner or later (usually when you are 35 and the other grads are 21, you decide to get a job LOL :rolleyes:

On topic: the trip along the Columbia River is fantastic. Also like to take photos out the back of the Portland sleeper. Yes, it is a long walk to the diner on the regular EB but with all the food we eat, we need the exercise :p . I vote for Portland.

Have a great trip!!

Hi All,
First time posting here, but long time reader. I am considering taking a trip on the Empire Builder in late august or early september. My plan is to fly out to the west coast, from New England, and then taking the builder back. I'm just not sure where I want to board the builder, Portland or Seattle. I'll be purchasing a roomette all the way back, so that isn't an issue. I've never been to either city nor have I been on a really long distance train (longest has been the Capitol Limited, Lake Shore, and Silver Meteor) so I'm really excited about this.

Does anyone have any input, or suggestion, on where to board?

Thanks!

-Mike
Out of Portland you get a very generous box dinner in the sleepers (chicken caesar salad on our trip) and, as mentioned, the Columbia River is wonderful. Just take your dinner to the (nearly empty) lounge and enjoy a three course picnic with you complimentary Columbia Valley champagne.

On the negative, it's a very long walk to the diner after Spokane and the Portland sleeper, being the very last car on the train, tends to buck and sway with a life of its own. But the view out the back window is fabulous as you leave the Rockies.

Last edited by a moderator:
not having the diner shouldn't be too much of a downside; you will have 2 (or so) days to eat there.

peter

Aloha out of all your pictures my favorite is the one you took of the boomer ( the missile submarine) lol.

As Amtrak advertises, "There's nothing like riding a train" to which I would add "Especially if you have a sleeper on the hind end." You will get some beautiful pictures the second day out the back window of the Portland sleeper without all the Sightseer car glare. Portland has a nice first class lounge also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back