Empire Builder service disruption

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like it was around sunset but It's not clear to me if the truck was headed into the sun or away. The driver is the sole survivor but remains in bad shape with a long recovery road, plus it wouldn't be surprsing if he doesn't remember much.

Changing from yield to stop sign won't 100% prevent these crashes because some people blow through stop signs, of course. But I do think they get a notch more mental attention because you can get a ticket for not stopping, and it might make a difference. A double track with 28 daily trains up to 79 MPH shouldn't have yield signs at any crossing.
Pay attention get off phone. Stop and look at all crossings.

Most trains are carrying freight and I know they don't go as fast as a modern Superliner.
The BNSF High Line carries pretty heavy volume and a reasonable amount of that is intermodals running at 70 mph as opposed to the Builder's 79 mph.

It isn't like the Builder is going 79 and the freight trains are trundling along at 40 mph. Even slower freight trains, like coal or grainers would be doing around 60.

Back