Empire Builder Timekeeping

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lyke99

Service Attendant
I'll be heading to the Portland and Seattle next week via the Empire Builder. Watching the Amtrak Status Maps and Amtrak Delays websites, I've noticed a recent decline in on-time performance. The delays usually start westbound near Milwaukee - is there trackwork in that area or another reason for this?

I'll be heading to the Portland and Seattle next week via the Empire Builder. Watching the Amtrak Status Maps and Amtrak Delays websites, I've noticed a recent decline in on-time performance. The delays usually start westbound near Milwaukee - is there track work in that area or another reason for this?
I rode it a few weeks ago and noticed Metra was doing a lot of track work between Milwaukee and Chicago. We had to stop and wait several times in that area. Don't know if that is the main reason, but it could contribute to the problem. Out in Montana we were sometimes 30-40 minutes early into some stations.

I rode it a few weeks ago and noticed Metra was doing a lot of track work between Milwaukee and Chicago. We had to stop and wait several times in that area. Don't know if that is the main reason, but it could contribute to the problem. Out in Montana we were sometimes 30-40 minutes early into some stations.
When I lived in the Chicago area we had a saying:

"There are 2 seasons in Chicago - The Winter season and construction season."
Apparently that now goes for the Milwaukee area as well and applies to track work. Metra has been doing track work along that route since at least early May (hadn't ridden since January before NTD).

Not that I would complain - eastern Montana and North Dakota could use more stable track (pretty bumpy at passenger speed from what I remember) and as someone else on this forum said - delays mean more time on the train (if you're not in danger of missing a connection).

I'll be heading to the Portland and Seattle next week via the Empire Builder. Watching the Amtrak Status Maps and Amtrak Delays websites, I've noticed a recent decline in on-time performance. The delays usually start westbound near Milwaukee - is there trackwork in that area or another reason for this?
The last few times I've ridden Hiawatha Service trains (between MKE & CHI), they have been delayed up to 10-15 minutes due to Metra track construction. So, it's possible the Empire Builder is suffering similar delays east/south of MKE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back