Empire Builder Trip Report

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would certainly be tempted to bring along something extra to supplement the cold dinner on 28 leaving Portland. Not sure if you will have time enough to have breakfast on 28 before your arrival in Whitefish but if not (or if you wish to have a much better breakfast) go to the Buffalo Cafe in Whitefish which is walking distance from the station.

If you are taking 27 from Whitefish to Portland, I am not sure if you will be entitled to dinner after you board at Whitefish. Probably someone here in the group will know. If there is any doubt I would have dinner at one of the many restaurants in Whitefish, including the Buffalo Cafe which is now open for dinner most days as I understand.

https://buffalocafewhitefish.com/
I think I will play it safe and bring a deli sandwich with me. If there is something edible on the cold plate, such as fresh fruit, it would be a supplement to the sandwich.

The RPA Amtrak timetable says the eastbound Builder gets into Whitefish at around 7:30 AM so I won't have breakfast on the train. I will, as you suggest, pick up a Hertz rental car and head for the Buffalo Cafe. This will be my 3rd trip to Whitefish and I've enjoyed breakfast at the Buffalo Cafe during the 2 prior trips.....very good meals. According to the RPA timetable, the westbound Builder doesn't get into Whitefish until 10:06 PM. Thus, I will have dinner before leaving Whitefish. I found the Latitude 48 bistro and the Tupelo Grille good for dinner. The Tupelo Grille supposedly has very good fresh fish dinners, so I might give it a try.

By the way, my old (hard copy) of Amtrak timetables (2015) has the westbound Empire Builder arriving in Whitefish at 8:56 PM. The recent RPA timetable has it arriving at Whitefish at 10:06 PM. Is that correct?

I

I think I will play it safe and bring a deli sandwich with me. If there is something edible on the cold plate, such as fresh fruit, it would be a supplement to the sandwich.

The RPA Amtrak timetable says the eastbound Builder gets into Whitefish at around 7:30 AM so I won't have breakfast on the train. I will, as you suggest, pick up a Hertz rental car and head for the Buffalo Cafe. This will be my 3rd trip to Whitefish and I've enjoyed breakfast at the Buffalo Cafe during the 2 prior trips.....very good meals. According to the RPA timetable, the westbound Builder doesn't get into Whitefish until 10:06 PM. Thus, I will have dinner before leaving Whitefish. I found the Latitude 48 bistro and the Tupelo Grille good for dinner. The Tupelo Grille supposedly has very good fresh fish dinners, so I might give it a try.

By the way, my old (hard copy) of Amtrak timetables (2015) has the westbound Empire Builder arriving in Whitefish at 8:56 PM. The recent RPA timetable has it arriving at Whitefish at 10:06 PM. Is that correct?

I
Probably neither......delays! Lol

I
Yes, the schedule was changed this summer, leaving Chicago at 3:05 pm and generally running about an hour later.

You can have breakfast eastbound if you get up early - diner opens at 6:30, just after you go through the Flathead Tunnel if you are on time.

You won't get dinner westbound. On the new schedule you won't board until about 10pm.

"T"...that wouldn't be Tashi would it? We've had him a couple of times on the EB and had good service from him.
Just curious. Thanks and it sounds like you had a pretty good trip.

"T" is not Tashi. T is her first intial. She is a sweetheart based out to Chicago who I'm glad to call a friend! Between her and Simon they're both really good people.

I can share that Tashi is still with the company. However has been out for over a year on Medical leave. I will leave it at that.

"T" is not Tashi. T is her first intial. She is a sweetheart based out to Chicago who I'm glad to call a friend! Between her and Simon they're both really good people.

I can share that Tashi is still with the company. However has been out for over a year on Medical leave. I will leave it at that.
Thanks. We last rode with Tashi on #7 in July 2021.

Back