Empire Builder - Vancouver BC - Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jannie

Train Attendant
June 4th Bus trip uneventful - Except they'd scheduled a person who had limited mobility into the bus. Not only did it have steps up, but another step up to the seating area. With the help of several passengers & a relative of the person she managed - the bus didn't have a "lift".

Due to unexpected changes we had to leave Seattle on the 5th, rather than June 6 as planned - the telephone reservation person was very helpful and we were able to make the change and hurrah still had a sleeper (in fact there were quite a few empty roomettes at this train).

Seattle station is beautiful, and Latoya was wonderful in getting our tickets changed --- since when we left Vancouver BC on the 4th we had tickets leaving Seattle on the 6th already printed. We got that changed. I wish the Seattle station had real food --- not vending machine food

We Boarded on time, but left later as they said they were loading provisions. The boarding of people was very disorganized in Seattle.

On the train we had an excellent crew telling about Puget Sound and the sights -- the dining person was excellent, the Cafe car person was a joy to listen to. We were informed about dining car about to close, etc.

I did get the sense that the equipment was older in this train - the lower bunk seemed lumpy and not as comfortable

Dining - At the beginning there was no hot dogs - although I can get the adult meal I wasn't that hungry - they didn't have the kids hot dog. strange - this was at the start of the trip. I missed the railroad french toast, they had pancakes instead. By lunch the day we were to arrive they were out of kids mac & cheese. The steaks were very good on our trip, the diet or light meals - well.. various thoughts.

We had a trails & rails program - Great!! This was in the Lounge area (observation area). This observation area seemed more "worn", than the one we came out on.

Time - we arrived to Minot ND I believe on time, but sat 25 minutes. We were 2 hours late getting into Chicago. Not bad - I enjoyed the trip, though don't think this route would be my first choice.

Thanks for both reports! The Empire Builder was one of our first trains... now you ca go on the Coast Starlight and the California Zephyr and the Southwest Chief!

Back