Empire Builder vs. Cattle Truck

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
A westbound Amtrak train struck an empty cattle truck about five miles east of here Saturday afternoon, breaking the locomotive's windshield and flinging manure into the cab.
The Phillips County sheriff's office says neither the truck driver nor anyone on the passenger train was hurt.

The collision tore the trailer from the tractor and sliced the trailer in half, said Montana Highway Patrol officer Jason Wickum.

The full story from the Billings Gazette.

Too bad the cattle truck was empty. It could have been free steaks for everyone in the dining car. You even get to pick your cut. :lol:

I'm just kidding. I'm glad no one was hurt, especially the engineer. Any impact that causes a windshield to break is pretty serious.

According to Amtrak's website, the Builder was running about 40 minutes down when it left Glasgow, MT, which is the stop before Malta. It didn't get out of Malta until 8:30 PM, which is over 7 hours late! Right now, as of 11:50 AM PST, it's running 6 hours and 45 minutes late.

Did they have to use another locomotive, have another brought and put on the train? How did that work out?

steve_relei said:
Did they have to use another locomotive, have another brought and put on the train? How did that work out?
From the article at the link above.

Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari said the crash delayed the Empire Builder for two hours. Amtrak borrowed a freight locomotive from Malta to lead the train westward because of the broken windshield on the engine

Fortunately though in a situation like that you have multiple units to keep HEP up via MU.

battalion51 said:
Fortunately though in a situation like that you have multiple units to keep HEP up via MU.
It sounds like the only reason why the BNSF engine was used was due to the broken windshield. The AMTK engine that hit the truck was probably still on line and providing power to the wheels, but as an MU'd engine instead of the point engine.

I wasn't too concerned about the loss of power--either horsepower or HEP, but it would be difficult to "drive" a locomotive with a broken windshield. That was my concern and how it was handled. the only problem with using freight locomotives is that they usually don't have the gearing to maintain the high speeds that a passenger train/locomotive would require, and that can eat into the schedule also.

A broken windshield happened on the southbound Southwest Chief a few years back. The break was caused by kids throwing rocks at the lead north of Albuquerque. A swap was required to fulfill operating rules.

It was a new Genesis for the crew. So they swap, repower, and nothing works. Several calls to dispatch, Amtrak Maintenance, so on, then a tie-in to some BNSF shop engineer in Schaumberg (before all the changes) and eventually the conference figures out they had to configure the computer for the consist change before disconnecting.

The result - they had to put everything back the way it was, configure the computer, then re-complete the original swap. Ended up in Albuquerque for near 3 hours. I had a friend from there visit me on the platform, and in hindsight we could have gone out to dinner..

Then there is the story about going backwards 30 miles in the Mojave desert to get around a freight.... and then there is the story about... The one certainty about multiday train travel is that something will happen - you dont know what - but it will happen. But I enjoy the adventure.

It happened to livestock vs. freight train in my town last year. A semi hauling livestock failed to use stop sign at RR on private road. A driver saw and tried to sped up to get out of harm's way. Unfortunately, he got a lot of steaks. The trailer broke in half.

Arkarch said:
A broken windshield happened on the southbound Southwest Chief a few years back. The break was caused by kids throwing rocks at the lead north of Albuquerque. A swap was required to fulfill operating rules.
It was a new Genesis for the crew. So they swap, repower, and nothing works. Several calls to dispatch, Amtrak Maintenance, so on, then a tie-in to some BNSF shop engineer in Schaumberg (before all the changes) and eventually the conference figures out they had to configure the computer for the consist change before disconnecting.

The result - they had to put everything back the way it was, configure the computer, then re-complete the original swap. Ended up in Albuquerque for near 3 hours.
Sadly this is the hard thing about having locomotives that are computer driven. While the computer does bring advantages, it does have drawbacks such as this. One of the things I would like to see Amtrak do (this probably won't happen until my administration :D ), is for each Conductor and Engineer to be issued a laptop. COnductors will use their to electronically collect tickets, do delay reports, fill out other paperwork, and help them to keep track of slow orders. As for the Engineers, their laptops will work hand in hand with both the locomotive and the dispatching service for the area. The Engineer will be able to easily access the locomotive functions, while at the same time have a track monitor (similar to the one in Train Simulator) to help him keep track of slow orders, and use the function as a new type of Cab Signal. Why do this for the Engineers? It will use simple interface (Windows type program on an iBook) to make the program easy to use, and create higher productivity.

battalion51 said:
Sadly this is the hard thing about having locomotives that are computer driven. While the computer does bring advantages, it does have drawbacks such as this. One of the things I would like to see Amtrak do (this probably won't happen until my administration :D ), is for each Conductor and Engineer to be issued a laptop. COnductors will use their to electronically collect tickets, do delay reports, fill out other paperwork, and help them to keep track of slow orders. As for the Engineers, their laptops will work hand in hand with both the locomotive and the dispatching service for the area. The Engineer will be able to easily access the locomotive functions, while at the same time have a track monitor (similar to the one in Train Simulator) to help him keep track of slow orders, and use the function as a new type of Cab Signal. Why do this for the Engineers? It will use simple interface (Windows type program on an iBook) to make the program easy to use, and create higher productivity.
Well while they weren't laptops, the conductors were supposed to do electronic ticketing on the Acela Express trains. In part through bugs in implementing the system, but in part by a revolt from the conductors union, this plan was scrapped.

This system would have allowed stations further up the line to sell tickets for no shows at the earlier stations. Sadly this was never implemented so therefore Amtrak cannot sell seats left empty by no shows and gain needed revenue. :(

As for the laptop idea, I'm sure that assuming that the money can be found, it will eventually happen. Technology is here to stay. However, one does have to be careful about using MS Windows for these computers. That program has lots of security concerns and holes. Remember CSX was brought almost to a total standstill due to an virus infection of their windows based dispatching computers. :eek:

Exactly Alan. That's why I plan to build a program with the ease of use that windows offers, but on a Mac platform. Macs are much more stable machines, an important thing when you're talking about the operations of a 4000-6000 horsepower machine.

battalion51 said:
Exactly Alan. That's why I plan to build a program with the ease of use that windows offers, but on a Mac platform. Macs are much more stable machines, an important thing when you're talking about the operations of a 4000-6000 horsepower machine.
Hmm, I guess that you've changed your opinion on MAC's. :unsure:

MAC's do tend to be more stable overall, however if there is a problem with a MAC it's much harder to fix the problem, than it is with an IBM/Windows based computer.

Ever since my new school opened last year, I've grown to like the Macs because we have current technology. The upgrade to OS X and redesign has made Mac a much better platform vs Classic. As far as fixing the problem, I plan to actually have an IT department that has a clue of what's going on, including a core of Engineers from the road that work with the technology on a daily basis.

battalion51 said:
As far as fixing the problem, I plan to actually have an IT department that has a clue of what's going on, including a core of Engineers from the road that work with the technology on a daily basis.
A good IT department has nothing to do with it. As a computer consultant, I can tell you that when a computer has a problem, it is much easier for someone like me to get at the nitty-gritty of the computer on an IBM/windows based computer.

On the other hand it far less likely that the MAC will fail in the first place vs. the IBM/windows system.

Of course by the time you become CEO of Amtrak, who knows if MAC's will still exist. They may be gone by then, as well as Windows.

Ps. I don't mean anything by that last statement, but let's be real here, I don't see you becoming CEO in anything less than 20 years and at 36/37 you'd be the youngest CEO ever. By that time the entire computer world will have changed 10 times over.

True true. I'll probably be in mid level management about that time, Ops manager in Sanford would be nice. I'm aiming high, if I don't get there oh well, but you can't say I didn't try. I want to make a difference, in whatever way I can.

battalion51 said:
True true. I'll probably be in mid level management about that time, Ops manager in Sanford would be nice. I'm aiming high, if I don't get there oh well, but you can't say I didn't try. I want to make a difference, in whatever way I can.
In order to get to a high a position you have to start low. Sometimes very low. You may just start out as car cleaner, but do the job right and you'll rise to the top. Most mid-level management is probably in their late thirties, early forties and top management personel are most likely in there late forties, early fifties. As hard as it may get (hours, pay, etc.) keep reaching that goal.

Oh, and Good Luck!

Amfleet said:
battalion51 said:
In order to get to a high a position you have to start low. Sometimes very low. You may just start out as car cleaner, but do the job right and you'll rise to the top. Most mid-level management is probably in their late thirties, early forties and top management personel are most likely in there late forties, early fifties. As hard as it may get (hours, pay, etc.) keep reaching that goal.

Oh, and Good Luck!
Nothing wrong with aiming high, Sean. :)

As long as you take a positive attitude with you, then you can and will make a difference no matter how high you eventually get. Trust me, that sleeping car attendant on the Autotrain this past May, made a huge difference to my family. :) I'll never forget it and neither will my family.

Yes, I realize that you'd like to make more of a difference than just that. But that attendant did touch our lives and Amtrak just gained another 3 supporters, besides me. Remember, it's not just the position; it's also the attitude along with the position.

As for starting out at the bottom, let me just remind everyone that Amtrak's best President in probably the last 20 years David Gunn, started right there at the bottom. He's probably one of the few Presidents’ who actually knows how and why an diesel engine works. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually still knows how to run one, even if he doesn't hold an operator's license anymore.

I also wish you good luck. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back