Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilovetrains

Train Attendant
My brother-in-law recently gave up his amtrak tickets to his son for our California Adventure vacation due to business reasons.

We are taking the CZ to Emeryville (08/27/07 :D ) and then sight-seeing Norther CA before catching the EB back to Chicago in from PDX.

As it had turned out, he now has the availability to go after all. We are able to get him a roomette on the CZ portion of the trip but all that is open on the EB is coach.

My question is: Is it a likely possibility that he will be able to upgrade to at least a roomette on the EB or is it a route that is hard to upgrade. This is our first trip so any answers will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ilovetrains.

I don't know what day you were planning to head East but looking at the SEATTLE portion of the Builder, rooms are available for each departure from 8/27 to 9/5. It would cut down on your time in Oregon, but does give you an option. You can also just ride the Portland-Spokane segment in coach and then switch to a sleeper room there.

The rooms aren't exactly at bargain basement prices, but some of the dates are pretty reasonable.

if you take the risk of trying to upgrade once aboard the eb you get the lowest bucket the room was offered for if there remains one available afaik

If you don't get the upgrade on board, it makes for a LONG trip back to Chicago in coach. I'd do what I could to get that roommette before I got on the train.

if you take the risk of trying to upgrade once aboard the eb you get the lowest bucket the room was offered for if there remains one available afaik

If you don't get the upgrade on board, it makes for a LONG trip back to Chicago in coach. I'd do what I could to get that roommette before I got on the train.
And you're piggy bank will be crying oink after getting out of the lounge car for most meals if you decide (or have no choice) on coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back