EMPIRE BUILDER

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
traveling nol-chi-sea on 8/3/12 for the first train trip in 55 years. it is our 46 year

anniversary, and it needs to be special. i have much in common with many of you.

what you do and see by rail, i do in the air. i retired from delta air lines with 36+ years.

PLEASE FORGIVE MY TYPING. I HAVE PARKINSON'S DISEASE AND TYPE ONE HANDED.

as a child i traveled nol-sea on at least 2 routes, and made the trip at least 5 times.

always with family, and in coach and sleeper. my last trip was on the E.B., and was

memorable. i have some questions that y'all can answer with your expertise.

1. the train crew-who gets tipped?how much approx.?and when? we are in the

room with toilet and shower.

2. the old vista dome cars were my favorite, but are gone. replaced by what and

how many? how hard to get 2 seats together in the sightseeing area?

3. i know that this is no cruise ship, but is it permissible to ask for and get

say a second dessert, for example?

I'LL TAKE A BREAK FOR NOW, AND THINK OF MORE QUESTIONS.

Last edited by a moderator:
lets see here...

1. the train crew-who gets tipped?how much approx.?and when? we are in the room with toilet and shower.

Your car attendant should get tipped based on his or her performance. I believe $5/day is the "going" rate for a good attendant, of course this is flexible. Some people prefer to tip when boarding, to try and entice the Attendant to do a good job, others tip at the end, I've also heard of people splitting the tip between the two. Dining Car staff also get tipped, tip as you would a normal waiter (15-20% of the bill); if your in the sleeping car calculate the tip off from what you would be paying if your meal wasn't included.

2. the old vista dome cars were my favorite, but are gone. replaced by what and how many? how hard to get 2 seats together in the sightseeing area?

Superliner trains (the double decker cars) have a Sightseer Lounge car which is the closest Amtrak has to the old Vista Domes (not counting the Special cars). There is usually one per train. Seating is first-come first-served and offers a variety of seating choices. You can see a floor plan here: http://s4.zetaboards...z/topic/9380867

3. i know that this is no cruise ship, but is it permissible to ask for and get say a second dessert, for example?

You only get one desert-per sleeper passenger; You can buy another one if you wish, you will then have to pay for it upon the completion of that meal.

peter

Welcome aboard!

PerRock has answered your questions, but I will add more to you.

I am sure you have seen the tread on Empire Builder (EB) delay. Just be aware of the delay they have been going though this summer. Hope you don't have plans made the minute you get off board in SEA.

Are you taking the train back home or flying back home?

It is generally no problem to get two seats together in the Sightseer Lounge, except when passing

through especially scenic areas.

lets see here...

1. the train crew-who gets tipped?how much approx.?and when? we are in the room with toilet and shower.

Your car attendant should get tipped based on his or her performance. I believe $5/day is the "going" rate for a good attendant, of course this is flexible. Some people prefer to tip when boarding, to try and entice the Attendant to do a good job, others tip at the end, I've also heard of people splitting the tip between the two. Dining Car staff also get tipped, tip as you would a normal waiter (15-20% of the bill); if your in the sleeping car calculate the tip off from what you would be paying if your meal wasn't included.

2. the old vista dome cars were my favorite, but are gone. replaced by what and how many? how hard to get 2 seats together in the sightseeing area?

Superliner trains (the double decker cars) have a Sightseer Lounge car which is the closest Amtrak has to the old Vista Domes (not counting the Special cars). There is usually one per train. Seating is first-come first-served and offers a variety of seating choices. You can see a floor plan here: http://s4.zetaboards...z/topic/9380867

3. i know that this is no cruise ship, but is it permissible to ask for and get say a second dessert, for example?

You only get one desert-per sleeper passenger; You can buy another one if you wish, you will then have to pay for it upon the completion of that meal.

peter
Unlike the "breakfast meats" desserts are not a separate item on the menu, but included with dinner. You could not order a desert separately and pay for it.

Desserts are offered as a separate item to coach passengers in the diner. I've ordered them a number of times, and also been offered desserts by sleeper pax seated next to me who didn't want them.

It should be possible as a sleeper passenger to order an extra dessert a la carte, but willingness to do this will likely depend on your particular server and how busy they are.

Mark

Unlike the "breakfast meats" desserts are not a separate item on the menu, but included with dinner. You could not order a desert separately and pay for it.
Not quite. Desserts are listed on the back page of the menu. See for example the Empire Builder menu:

http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/937/836/Empire-Builder-Dining-Menu-westbound-train.pdf

The real problem with doing this is that you would have to wait around to pay your bill, which can take an infuriatingly long time. One of the advantages of having

your meals for "free" as a sleeping car passenger is that you can simply get up and leave when you're done eating, instead of waiting around for someone to

eventually give you a bill, take your money, etc. (This can take a stupefyingly long time.) Of course, if you order a glass of wine with dinner, you'll have to wait for

your bill anyhow.

In my experience, the $6 dessert items (usually a choice of 3 or 4 different things, all of which are pretty good) are all that I would want in terms of a dessert. If you

just want something extra to munch on later you can always go to the cafe car which is in the lower level of the Sightseer lounge.

lets see here...

peter
Forgive me if i'm doing this wrong. i'm not familiar with this forum and the options. thanks for all the info. i was only using dessert as an example.

it could be any part of the meal. i read on this site, i think, that E.B. could have as many as 1,200 passengers o/b. that seems a lot for 1 sightseer

car. my main memories are in the vista dome going thru the mountains, breath taking, and out in the plains at night, total darkness, the milky way

plus a million more. this will probably be my last trip and my wife's first train trip, so i'm trying for perfection!!

Welcome aboard!

I am sure you have seen the tread on Empire Builder (EB) delay. Just be aware of the delay they have been going though this summer. Hope you don't have plans made the minute you get off board in SEA.

flying home because it's a benefit. i hope some of you train buffs will travel on DELTA AIR LINES, and

need some help. i'll be there for you. just don't ask me to explain the fare rules. they are writtin by a

sadist, upside down and backword, using a mirror, and with all vowels excluded. what's with the delays?

i can handle a few hours delay, but must make chi conx. to sea. thanks for the info.

Your connection NOL - EB in CHI - is an almost certainty - you will have enough time to do the "Sears tower" and/or walk to the lake front or even Navy Pier, or visit the Art museum

The Empire Builder -- westbound -- this is what I know from several trips over the last 3 decades -

The stretch from La Crosse to MSP -- views of the upper Mississippi -- you will see many Great Blue Herons and lots of other wading birds and likely some Bald Eagles. Arrive MSP late evening.

Second day - sunrise in Dakota -- miles and miles of Dakota and Montana - ending with the climb to Marias pass - I've seen snow flurries there in late May -- but you'll probably not see that -- there may be slow orders any time of year for high winds on the east side of the Rockies.

Last day -- crossing the Cascades -- the stretch from Wenatchee to Everett is -- amazing -- don't know how to describe -- glue your eyes to the window and be amazed.

what's with the delays?

i can handle a few hours delay, but must make chi conx. to sea. thanks for the info.
The Delay is caused by a number of things..

-Track work in WI.

-Large amount of freight traffic in ND with the oil boom.

-Amtrak don't own the track, so they may be put into siding and let the freight though.

Welcome aboard!

thanks for the info. i'll have to read up on the delays. congrats, i dealt with psgrs. from

all over the world and you are the first and only one from white fish mt.

"C"BERRY<me

lets see here...

peter
Forgive me if i'm doing this wrong. i'm not familiar with this forum and the options. thanks for all the info. i was only using dessert as an example.

it could be any part of the meal. i read on this site, i think, that E.B. could have as many as 1,200 passengers o/b. that seems a lot for 1 sightseer

car. my main memories are in the vista dome going thru the mountains, breath taking, and out in the plains at night, total darkness, the milky way

plus a million more. this will probably be my last trip and my wife's first train trip, so i'm trying for perfection!!
You can order anything additional off the menu, whether that be another dessert, more salad, or another entree. You will have to pay 'out of pocket' for the additional items. Alcohol is not included in your 'free' meal, so you would have to pay for that as well. Additionally there is a cafe on the lower level of the SIghtseer Lounge which you can buy food at as well.

While the Sightseer is the closest Amtrak has for a dome (not counting the one used for special occasions) it isn't quite the same. Being able to see the stars at night from it may be a bit difficult as the lights are usually left on (or in a dimmed state). Also some conductors will close the Lounge overnight, you will have to play that one by ear. But all in all it's probably the best way to enjoy your train trip. As for one car, the SIghtseer is probably more akin to the old Full Domes & Great Domes, then the Vista Domes as the dome part goes the entire length of the car, and an advantage it has over the domes is the large side windows allows for you to see a wider view.

If you get the chance, Amtrak's Coast Starlight uses 2 lounge cars, one older 'heritage' car known as the Pacific Parlor Car which is exclusively for Sleeper Passengers, & one of the Sightseer Lounges for anyone. You can also have your meals in the Pacific Parlor Car.

peter

thanks for the info. i'll have to read up on the delays. congrats, i dealt with psgrs. from

all over the world and you are the first and only one from white fish mt.

"C"BERRY<me
Sorry, I am not from Whitefish MT (I wouldn't mind living there), and from Rochester MN. I will be going out to Whitefish in a few days.

I am from Whitefish and take the train perhaps a dozen times a year. Mostly the EB. Nice, historic station in Whitefish. The entire flathead valley in NW Montana is beautiful. Great all around recreation and only 25 miles from Glacier Nat'l Park. Enjoy your trip!

Desserts are offered as a separate item to coach passengers in the diner. I've ordered them a number of times, and also been offered desserts by sleeper pax seated next to me who didn't want them.

It should be possible as a sleeper passenger to order an extra dessert a la carte, but willingness to do this will likely depend on your particular server and how busy they are.

Mark
THANKS FOR YOUR POST. I'M READING ALL OF THESE ANSWERS, AND

FIND A TROUBLING ISSUE IN MANY OF THE POSTS. I HAVEN'T TRAVELED

BY TRAIN IN 55 YEARS, SO I KNOW SOME THINGS HAVE CHANGED. WHEN

DID SO MANY AMTRAK EMPLOYEES GET THIS "YOU OWE ME" ATTITUDE?

IF I WANT AN EXTRA DESERT AND I HAVE THE MONEY TO PAY FOR IT, I

EXPECT TO GET IT! IT'S NOT HIS CHOICE. IT'S HIS JOB! IT'S THAT SIMPLE.

Not quite. Desserts are listed on the back page of the menu. See for example the Empire Builder menu:

http://www.amtrak.co...bound-train.pdf

The real problem with doing this is that you would have to wait around to pay your bill, which can take an infuriatingly long time. One of the advantages of having

your meals for "free" as a sleeping car passenger is that you can simply get up and leave when you're done eating, instead of waiting around for someone to

eventually give you a bill, take your money, etc. (This can take a stupefyingly long time.) Of course, if you order a glass of wine with dinner, you'll have to wait for

your bill anyhow.

In my experience, the $6 dessert items (usually a choice of 3 or 4 different things, all of which are pretty good) are all that I would want in terms of a dessert. If you

just want something extra to munch on later you can always go to the cafe car which is in the lower level of the Sightseer lounge.
THANK YOU FOR THE INSIGHT AND LINK

There are two ways you could do New Orleans to Seattle. Your New Orleans - Chicago - Seattle or New Orleans - Los Angeles - Seattle. The NO-LA part is only three days per week. I do not know the relative durations, NO-LA-Sea versus NO-Chi-Sea. That I would have to look up.

NO-LA-Sea. You would have plenty of time for the connection in LA. If you go that way, you would have the swamps in dyalight, then southwest desert in daylight, the California coast in daylight and finally much of Oergon adn all of the Washington state part in daylight.

NO-Chi-Sea. The current City of New Orleans is not the CNO or Panama Limited of 50 years ago. I ahve also heard that the old ICRR track ride quality is pretty bad. Yes, tehy meet the FRA's track safety standards for the speed they run, but these are safety standards, not comfort standards. Also I hear that the CNO passenger loading is fairly light south of Memphis. The old passenger route through Grenada is no more. The train now uses the somewhat longer low grade freight main through Yazoo City and Greenwood.

How are you with negotiating stairs? Teh stairs in the superliners are fairly narrow, which should be an advantage as you can lean on the walls and have plenty of surfaces to lean against (or bounce off of) I am assuming that by mentioning the sightseer lounge that you are able to manage steps. If you have difficulties with the steps, you can ask for the handicap room or jusst simply a lower level room, and have your meals brought to you. Restrooms are on the lower level, so that may also be an issue. IK am making some guesses about the state of your Parkinsons. my father had it and for the first few years it was primarily in his hands and arms.

Teh sightseer cars are not superliners, but AT&SF hi levels.

traveling nol-chi-sea on 8/3/12 for the first train trip in 55 years.
Oh what a coincidence! Hubby and I are going that same route but we're leaving NOL the day before (8/2). We're hoping for an on-time arrive in Seattle as we are connecting with the Cascades and going to Portland before heading back home on the EB.

Since you're in a sleeper, when you get to CHI, look for the Metropolitan Lounge. You will be able to store your baggage there while you explore the station or other locations nearby. You will be boarded from the lounge before the coach passengers.

There are two ways you could do New Orleans to Seattle. Your New Orleans - Chicago - Seattle or New Orleans - Los Angeles - Seattle. The NO-LA part is only three days per week. I do not know the relative durations, NO-LA-Sea versus NO-Chi-Sea. That I would have to look up.

NO-LA-Sea. You would have plenty of time for the connection in LA. If you go that way, you would have the swamps in dyalight, then southwest desert in daylight, the California coast in daylight and finally much of Oergon adn all of the Washington state part in daylight.

NO-Chi-Sea. The current City of New Orleans is not the CNO or Panama Limited of 50 years ago. I ahve also heard that the old ICRR track ride quality is pretty bad. Yes, tehy meet the FRA's track safety standards for the speed they run, but these are safety standards, not comfort standards. Also I hear that the CNO passenger loading is fairly light south of Memphis. The old passenger route through Grenada is no more. The train now uses the somewhat longer low grade freight main through Yazoo City and Greenwood.

How are you with negotiating stairs? Teh stairs in the superliners are fairly narrow, which should be an advantage as you can lean on the walls and have plenty of surfaces to lean against (or bounce off of) I am assuming that by mentioning the sightseer lounge that you are able to manage steps. If you have difficulties with the steps, you can ask for the handicap room or jusst simply a lower level room, and have your meals brought to you. Restrooms are on the lower level, so that may also be an issue. IK am making some guesses about the state of your Parkinsons. my father had it and for the first few years it was primarily in his hands and arms.

Teh sightseer cars are not superliners, but AT&SF hi levels.
I CERTAINLY APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP AND ADVICE FROM ALL OF YOU.

TO ADDRESS THE PARKINSON'S, I HAVE DOUBLE VISION WHEN TYPING,

ESPECIALLY. YOU MIGHT HAVE READ THAT I TYPE WITH ONE HAND, LEFT.

I'M RIGHT HANDED. PLEASE FORGIVE THE ALL CAPS. I' M NOT YELLING.

IT'S EASIER FOR ME TO TYPE WITHOUT SHIFTING AND I CAN SEE IT BETTER.

STAIRS I CAN HANDLE, SLOWLY. I NOW DO EVERYTHING SLOWLY. MY WIFE

AND I SPRUNG FOR THE BIG BUCKS AND GOT A BEDROOM WITH THE

PRIVATE BATHROOM. I HAVE BEEN ON BOTH ROUTES TO SEATTLE AS A KID,

AND I MUCH PREFER THE NORTHERN ROUTE. I SWEAR THERE WAS NOTHING

TO SEE WORTHWHILE UNTIL WE STARTED NORTH UP THE COAST. MY NEXT

PROJECT ON HERE IS TO FIND A FREQUENT TRAVELER WHO IS A SMOKER.

I'M TRYING TO FIND A LIST OF STOPS WHERE MY WIFE CAN SMOKE A CIGARETTE

.IF NO LUCK, I WILL TRY TO MAKE ONE. AGAIN, THANKS TO ALL WHO ARE KIND

ENOUGH TO ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS. YOU'RE GOOD PEOPLE.

flying home because it's a benefit. i hope some of you train buffs will travel on DELTA AIR LINES, and

need some help. i'll be there for you. just don't ask me to explain the fare rules. they are writtin by a

sadist, upside down and backword, using a mirror, and with all vowels excluded. what's with the delays?

Ok, I'm game.... I want a jumpseat ride!

Ah, the days gone past....

Me too!

I flew Delta last fall (and have flown it years ago) and was happy with everything. I had put on my reservation that I was deaf/hard of hearing and the flight attendant acknowledge that after I was seated so it was nice to know that the FA was aware in case there were any problems where I might not otherwise hear announcements (the safety instructions were on the TV screen in the headrest in front of me). There was one possible "problem" in that I think they sent a wheelchair to the gate for me as I saw someone walking around with a wheelchair looking for the person who needed it. Since I did not check in at the gate, they didn't know where I was. I have written to Delta regarding both the FA acknowledging my hearing difficulties and asking them not to send wheelchairs out for people who indicate they are deaf/hard of hearing. I may be flying Delta again in the next few weeks so I will try to remember to see if they send out a wheelchair for me. Maybe I'll check in at the gate this time.

Me too!

I flew Delta last fall (and have flown it years ago) and was happy with everything. I had put on my reservation that I was deaf/hard of hearing and the flight attendant acknowledge that after I was seated so it was nice to know that the FA was aware in case there were any problems where I might not otherwise hear announcements (the safety instructions were on the TV screen in the headrest in front of me). There was one possible "problem" in that I think they sent a wheelchair to the gate for me as I saw someone walking around with a wheelchair looking for the person who needed it. Since I did not check in at the gate, they didn't know where I was. I have written to Delta regarding both the FA acknowledging my hearing difficulties and asking them not to send wheelchairs out for people who indicate they are deaf/hard of hearing. I may be flying Delta again in the next few weeks so I will try to remember to see if they send out a wheelchair for me. Maybe I'll check in at the gate this time.
Aviation being my biggest passion (transport nut all around) I like flying with any airline--but out of the US carriers, I've always been a DL fan. They do a good job.

Nice to see your floorplans again, but could you please rearrange them so that they are not all over the place, like Superliner Sleeper switching to Sightseer Lounge and then back?

flying home because it's a benefit. i hope some of you train buffs will travel on DELTA AIR LINES
Sure, I've travelled on Delta, for international flights of course, but I must say that it has probably turned a lot worse than when you worked there. :eek:hboy: I had a poor expierience consistently. Small seats, poor food, poor 777s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back