Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskan mutt

Train Attendant
After flying from Alaska to Chicago, I managed to make my way to the Blue Line station at the airport. I am sure several people got a chuckle watching me try to get thru the turnstyle with my suitcase. I was holding the suitcase in front of me as I passed thru the turnstyle. The turnstyle allowed my suitcase thru but locked up before I got thru. I had to climb over. After getting downtown I only had to walk a couple of blocks to the Amtrak station. Both the ticket counter and the first class lounge staff were helpful and friendly.

The EB departed pretty much on time. My sleeper car attendant brought by some champange. The second day he set out cookies and sparkling cider. The staff on this train were a lot of fun. The person running the diner car had a great personality. His p.a. announcements were great. The food was good. In addition to the menu items, there was also a special for dinner. It was a beef pot pie. Had that the second day. Everything in my roomette worked. My only complaint was the outlet was recessed making it impossible to plug in my adapters. Towards the end of the trip another passenger gave me an extension cord which got me pass the recessed outlet. I had the attendant make up the bed the first night. It was ok, but it just did not leave me enough room to get dressed. After the first night I only asked for a blanket. I would slide the seats together to sleep and could slide them back when I wanted to get dressed. Being in the PDX sleeper it was quite a journey to the diner car, but it did not bother me as that was the only excersise I got. The second day we had a wine and cheese tasting. There were a couple of bottles of wine given as prizes. 1 was given to the couple married the longest. a couple together 47 years won that. the other was for answering what was the first sports event ever televised ( 1936 Olympics), which I won. The train got to PDX a couple hours late, which was not bad given the distance.

All in all, the EB was by far the best train I rode. The sleeper car attendant worked hard to provide good service. Both the upstairs and the downstairs snack bars were open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back