Empire Corridor future

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesWhitcombRiley

Lead Service Attendant
Someone once said that there was also CAT installed on the Empire connection. Can anyone confirm or deny by actual observation?
I think the confusion was over whether the catenary is powered up.

Verifying Wikipedia on the general state of things on the Empire Connection, catenary and third-rail, I came across a Tier I environmental study from February 2023. Alternative 125, for 125mph, is the most ambitious one considered. It electrifies from Buffalo to Albany, and builds viaducts (trestles) through the cities. The electrification in Penn Station described below refers to tracks 1-4 having only catenary, since they are for NJT. People here I think have mentioned electrification of yard tracks varies at Penn.

Alternative 125 extracts:

Diesel locomotives cannot operate in Penn Station where all tracks are electrified, most with both over running contact rails (third rail) and overhead catenary.

Trains would operate in diesel mode on the existing Hudson Line Corridor between Albany/Rensselaer Station and a point just north of Penn Station New York, where they would switch over to the existing AC-powered overhead catenary for operation to the station and servicing facility.

It should be noted that Alternative 125 is the only alternative that would incorporate overhead catenary systems, which could be visible from longer distances in some areas. If Alternative 125 is advanced for further study at the Tier 2 level, the APE [Area of Potential Effect] would be reassessed and expanded if necessary to adequately consider the potential for indirect effects.
The scenic Hudson Valley stays diesel, unless Tier 2 upgrades the plan. And this 125 Alternative isn't likely unless something changes. So it's even less likely the Hudson Valley would be electrified without electrifying Buffalo-Albany, assuming plans are stuck in this framework. Electrification in these plans is tied to viaducts allowing 125mph.

To keep the Hudson Valley beautiful, the "externalities" of diesel, and highway wrecks, are spread across society, while electric externalities can be better controlled, we hope. More locally, diesel exhaust blows into the ridge between the Hudson River and Long Island Sound (Atlantic Ocean, for non-NY'ers). Not to mention leaks on the ground, etc. The ridge is where White Plains is. Still better than cars and buses. The new diesel engines on the Siemens locomotives are fairly spiffy, in that local sense.

Last edited:
Back