Empire Service suspension 11/12/23

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.amtrak.com/alert/service-temporarily-suspended-between-new-york-city-and-albany-.html
Due to safety concerns stemming from structure issues of a non-Amtrak, privately owned building above the Empire Line tracks in New York City, Amtrak service is suspended today, November 12, between Albany (ALB) and New York City (NYP).
• Trains 290 and 48 will be combined to travel as one train.
• Trains 64, 68, 284 and 290 are cancelled south of Croton-Harmon, NY (CRT); customers will have their tickets cross-honored by Metro North between CRT and NYP.
• Trains 49, 283 and 291 will now originate at ALB.

https://www.amtrak.com/alert/service-temporarily-suspended-between-new-york-city-and-albany-.html
Due to safety concerns stemming from structure issues of a non-Amtrak, privately owned building above the Empire Line tracks in New York City, Amtrak service is suspended today, November 12, between Albany (ALB) and New York City (NYP).
• Trains 290 and 48 will be combined to travel as one train.
• Trains 64, 68, 284 and 290 are cancelled south of Croton-Harmon, NY (CRT); customers will have their tickets cross-honored by Metro North between CRT and NYP.
• Trains 49, 283 and 291 will now originate at ALB.
I am sure MNRR will cross honor to NYG not NYP.

Another example of the need for Amtrak to be able to route from SD on MNRR and connect to the Hell Gate route into NYP. As well New Haven Amtrak Trains to use MNRR from New Rochelle to SD going on a restored leg of the wye then use west side line into NYP. That is if Hell Gate route gets blocked, That route could be important when the Hell Gate draw bridge is being replaced.

Whatever it is, hope it is resolved, and not extended further…

It is actually an ongoing situation that has deteriorated, so you can count on it being extended.

Dang. Hope I’m still able to ride the LSL on Wednesday.

You can probably ride it, but you may have to pick it up at Croton-Harmon.

Another example of the need for Amtrak to be able to route from SD on MNRR and connect to the Hell Gate route into NYP. As well New Haven Amtrak Trains to use MNRR from New Rochelle to SD going on a restored leg of the wye then use west side line into NYP. That is if Hell Gate route gets blocked, That route could be important when the Hell Gate draw bridge is being replaced.

That's all well and good, but you'd need Metro-North crews and track space in New Rochelle to accomplish this. Additionally, the Amtrak side would require space on the Hell Gate Line, additional locomotives and crews to perform the operation. Everything you'd need to launch this operation is currently at a premium, and likely will be for years to come.

This was interesting to me, since I didn't know the route of the tunnel, I'd assumed that it was closer to the river here (see below, Hudsonview Terrace seems to be the location of the garage having structural issues according to the news story);

1699836102438.png

Hell Gate Bridge is not a draw bridge.

Amtrak Advisory | Service Temporarily Suspended between New York City and Albany

Service Temporarily Suspended between New York City and Croton- Harmon
November 12, 2023 8:40 PM

Due to safety concerns stemming from structure issues of a non-Amtrak, privately owned building above the Empire Line tracks in New York City, Amtrak service is suspended between Croton-Harmon (CRT) and New York City (NYP). Passengers can travel on Metro North trains from Grand Central Terminal between NYP and CRT, where tickets will be cross-honored.

Additional schedule modifications include:
• Trains 233, 234, 235, 237 240, 241 244 and 280 are canceled
• Trains 49 and 69 will originate from Albany (ALB)
• Trains 63, 64, 232, 236, 238, 239 243, 281, 283, 284 and 294 will originate or end in CRT

Customers with reservations on trains that are being modified will typically be accommodated on trains with similar departure times or another day. Amtrak will waive additional charges for customers looking to change their reservation during the modified schedule by calling our reservation center at 1-800-USA-RAIL.

The most up-to-date train status is available on Amtrak.com and in the free mobile app.

Follow us on Twitter for real-time service information:

@AmtrakNECAlerts for service information in the Northeast Corridor (Acela, Northeast Regional and other corridor services).
@AmtrakAlerts for service information outside the Northeast Corridor.
Subscribe at Amtrak.com/DelayAlerts to receive automated email or text message notifications if Amtrak trains are behind schedule at specific stations.

This information is correct as of the time and date above. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.

It is actually an ongoing situation that has deteriorated, so you can count on it being extended.

You can probably ride it, but you may have to pick it up at Croton-Harmon.

That's all well and good, but you'd need Metro-North crews and track space in New Rochelle to accomplish this. Additionally, the Amtrak side would require space on the Hell Gate Line, additional locomotives and crews to perform the operation. Everything you'd need to launch this operation is currently at a premium, and likely will be for years to come.
49 is originating at ALB. He'd have to take Metro North to CRT, Empire Svc to ALB, and then finally the LSL.

Saw this on the Amtrak app:

IMG_0672.jpeg
Guess this really will affect my trip. No email from Amtrak yet though. Wonder if my ticket would be cross honored on the CRT to ALB Empire trains that are still running since 49 is originating at ALB? I keep seeing various articles talking about cross honoring with Metro North for Manhattan to CRT passengers, but nothing about those of us who have to get to ALB to catch 49.

Yikes, what a mess. Supposed to be NYS' baby :rolleyes: Will certainly be interesting to see the ridership on the Hudson Line this week.

Now no checked baggage to connect with 48/49.

I wonder if Empire Service passengers will still be allowed to store their bags at the baggage counter at Moynihan? No luggage storage in Grand Central.

Saw this on the Amtrak app:

View attachment 34591
Guess this really will affect my trip. No email from Amtrak yet though. Wonder if my ticket would be cross honored on the CRT to ALB Empire trains that are still running since 49 is originating at ALB? I keep seeing various articles talking about cross honoring with Metro North for Manhattan to CRT passengers, but nothing about those of us who have to get to ALB to catch 49.
Yes. My suggestion would be to have them put you on 291 out of CRT and take Metro North to there from NYG. It appears based on the app they have only put today and tomorrow into Arrow which is probably why you don’t yet have an email. They may be hoping for an early resolution to the problem and thus aren’t officially canceling the whole week.

Yes. My suggestion would be to have them put you on 291 out of CRT and take Metro North to there from NYG. It appears based on the app they have only put today and tomorrow into Arrow which is probably why you don’t yet have an email. They may be hoping for an early resolution to the problem and thus aren’t officially canceling the whole week.
I'm hoping for 291, that way I don't have too much dwell time in ALB. Wonder why Amtrak doesn't show 291 on their advisory announcement? It's still running today according to the app. I'm trying to look on the bright side and I guess by starting from NYG using Metro North, this spices up the trip a bit instead of being a total repeat of my 2018 LSL journey. Based on what you said about ARROW, I'm thinking tomorrow is the earliest I will get an email (unless later on today, Amtrak comes to the conclusion that Wednesday is hopeless).

Back