Employment and where?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paula

Hello, I really want to work for Amtrak, does anyone know what city closest to Pittsburgh is hiring? I will take anything to get my foot in the door. I use to work for the airlines but Amtrak was always my dream. I live in Grove City Pa. I knew a man that worked at the Pittsburgh station but he was transferred to Chicago to work at that station. I can only remember is his first name as Charlie, and he went by a nickname Certified when he was online. I don't know what position he held and I know he worked for Amtrak for years. Does anyone know this person, he's from Pittsburgh and it's been about 6 yrs since we talked, or when he was transferred to IL. I was hoping if I found him that he could help me get a job with Amtrak.

Any info would be appreciated,

Paula

Thanks for the info Denmarks and Railman. I called and I visit the Amtrak job site everyday, but they don't have any cities close to me on there, like Pittsburgh, Erie, Altoona, Johnstown, Greensburg, Lancaster, etc. If they have stations at those cities, why don't they have them posted as well? If one of those cities are hiring, how will I know? I can not apply to those places if they aren't listed, and I know Amtrak only takes applications when they have a job open. I did send resumes to a few local Stations, and even to Chicago, but its been a few months now and no news.

I just love trains, and the opportunity to work for Amtrak would be so exciting! I could travel and see the country, meet people from all over the world, it would be my dream come true.

Paula :)

Okay okay Chatter, I went overboard on why I want to work for Amtrak, so shoot me! :angry:

If you want to work for Amtrak, you will have to be a bit more flexible on work location. The only jobs available are those posted on the website and if you see something for which you think you are qualified, then apply for the job............whatever the location. Amtrak's work forces is very mobile and many of the employees do not live in their immediate work area. Basically, if you cannot be flexible, forget working for the railroad.

Thanks Haolerider for the info. Yes I figured I'd have to relocate, but I thought I'd try close to home first, then move on to the bigger cities, like Chicago or wherever they need help.

I been checking out that job website for a few yrs and they never have cities close to Pittsburgh listed, so I suppose they just don't hire much there.

Thanks again for the info,

Paula :)

From what I heard (and those who may have better info feel free to interject) some of those station openings are only made available to current employees (the transfer within deal), so it is best to be flexible and get your foot in the door where you can and transfer somewhere closer to where you want to be after time. Sometimes that is the best way. Good luck.

When I applied in '96, I went to the yard and dropped off a resume.

On the resume, I applied for various positions. It took a year before I got called!!! :eek:

Try calling the nearest station or maintenance yard and ask for the job listings at that facility. Each facility has different requirements. <_<

MJ B)

Those are all Amtrak jobs and that is the only authorized listing of positions. I would not suggest calling stations and/or other Amtrak facilities, since everything is now done through the website. That is the only location that HR uses to fill positions.

haolerider said:
Those are all Amtrak jobs and that is the only authorized listing of positions. I would not suggest calling stations and/or other Amtrak facilities, since everything is now done through the website. That is the only location that HR uses to fill positions.
Then I must be doing something wrong (not that I'm planning to work for Amtrak in the near future anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter), but these seem to be more comptuer networking jobs than anything else.

There's even a job listed in Honolulu, Hawaii.

I did find one Amtrak job hidden in there somewhere (which didn't even show up when I did a search for "amtrak") but, other than that, it seems to be a miscellaneous collection of various job postings. Whatever. I don't care.

I've applied for an Amtrak job back in February and have not heard anything since. Is Amtrak holding jobs until they see what kind of budget they will get in next fiscal year? Any thoughts.... ;)

You will not hear anything soon. Most stations that have are waiting for the cuts to the mail jobs before hiring some one off the street.

Thanks for the info LateShoreLimited. I guess all I can hope for is that they keep my application on file for awhile.

tp49 said:
From what I heard (and those who may have better info feel free to interject) some of those station openings are only made available to current employees (the transfer within deal), so it is best to be flexible and get your foot in the door where you can and transfer somewhere closer to where you want to be after time.  Sometimes that is the best way.  Good luck.
This is how it works for station openings:

First the vacancy goes up for bid to qualified bidders within the seniority district. (Station facilities are divided up in a series of senior districts as are engineer and conductor jobs. On-board service employees have "national" seniority.)

If the job goes unbid for a specified period of time (I forget how long) then transfer requests are processed for employees in other seniority districts who wich to transfer to the vacant position in the 'foreign' seniority district.

If nobody wants the vacancy from the transfer request list (or if there are no requests for that seniority district) the job is posted for external applicants.

Rarely do station jobs get to the third level of posting....

For T&E you can bid any job anywhere as long as you have established Seniority in the Zone you are bidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back